• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quality of Ipod Classic with or without external DAC?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
This has potentially been covered elsewhere, but does anyone have thoughts/objective data re: the sound quality on the 160 GB Ipod Classic? I assume the quality of MP3 is the defining factor, but how does it compare to the "hi-def" models? Hope you all are doing well!

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I heard one on a expensive Alpine headunit in a car once.
It was horrible.
But...
it could've been the ADC of the headunit also...
So...
basically...
no idea. :)

Lolito

You can play 1411kbs alac files on that ipod, or convert your flac files to that format. Mp3's will sound bad on any dap.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
https://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/09/retro-measure-2006-apple-ipod-classic.html

1589063516923.png

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Probably not worth your time to think about this, the output impedance looks lower than the 5th gen, which is good. Should try to Rockbox it, since it's now stable.
Mp3's will sound bad on any dap.
1) You're wrong and all objective data proves that properly encoded MP3 (recent LAME with sufficient bitrate; e.g. V1) is between transparent and almost transparent.
2) MP3 is obsolete, you're supposed to use Vorbis, AAC or Opus, nowadays.

Lolito

Probably not worth your time to think about this, the output impedance looks lower than the 5th gen, which is good. Should try to Rockbox it, since it's now stable.

1) You're wrong and all objective data proves that properly encoded MP3 (recent LAME with sufficient bitrate; e.g. V1) is between transparent and almost transparent.
2) MP3 is obsolete, you're supposed to use Vorbis, AAC or Opus, nowadays.

Best mp3 file in the world at 320kbs sounds like crap compared with same track at 1411kbs cd-quality. An any data against this is wrong data.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Best mp3 file in the world at 320kbs sounds like crap compared with same track at 1411kbs cd-quality. An any data against this is wrong data.
This website is called Audio SCIENCE Review, best get used to suprises that go against "common knowledge"; or just find a more appropriate website. Just try to ABX yourself a lossless file from its LAME V0 encoded version.

Also, when you talk about "1411kbs alac", you clearly don't know what you're talking about, as ALAC is a compressed format producing a variable and often lower bitrate. 1411 kbps refers to the bitrate of raw 16 bits/44.1 kHz stereo PCM.

Lolito

This website is called Audio SCIENCE Review, best get used to suprises that go against "common knowledge"; or just find a more appropriate website. Just try to ABX yourself a lossless file from its LAME V0 encoded version.

Also, when you talk about "1411kbs alac", you clearly don't know what you're talking about, as ALAC is a compressed format producing a variable and often lower bitrate. 1411 kbps refers to the bitrate of raw 16 bits/44.1 kHz stereo PCM.

Hahahaha, you are more stupid than the average forum member here.

1411 are kb per second, jerk. So almost five time larger than a 320 mp3, over 10 times more data per second than a 128kbs.

Is not that you are not right, it's that you have no clue about what you are saying, and i will also call you fucking idiot and son of a bitch, just to be well beyond the rules, without any kind of question about that, you fucking jerk ;-)

Lolito

Alac means apple losless audio codec, jerk. Aac it's another thing. Retard. A flac file in x kbs turn it to alac and keeps the bitrate. Can be 1411kbs 2822kbs 4xxx kbs, 1444kbs sounds light years better than any 320kbs mp3, jerk, not to mention mp3's normally use joint stereo. Flac and alac files are pure stereo always or pretty much always. Son of a bitch.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Prejudice against lossy isn't scientific.

A claim like "any data against this is wrong data' isn't either. It's foolish. Never heard of psychoacoustic modeling? It's the basis of lossy audio. It's why bitrates only matter *so much*....until they don't. The science is on q3cpma's side on this, not yours.

See ya!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Half of the forum members here are more stupid than the average forum member.

The other half are not.

I suggest you settle down before you get whacked.

Oooh...

and that was before I saw this:

Is not that you are not right, it's that you have no clue about what you are saying, and i will also call you fucking idiot and son of a bitch, just to be well beyond the rules, without any kind of question about that, you fucking jerk ;-)

Let me say bye bye while I still can.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would be so much fun if uneducated “members“ (if they could be called like that) like @Lolito read something like this, and then engage in a dispute.
6CAD0453-959C-462C-90B3-68F8974ABF84.jpeg
Yep, those are 768 priceless pages.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Not that I want to sound smug, but that would be the median, not average.

Ok, mentally put me on the side of the median that I deserve.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

1411 are kb per second, jerk. So almost five time larger than a 320 mp3, over 10 times more data per second than a 128kbs.

You seem to know nothing about lossy compression yet you talk like knowing all.

About your language: we don't talk like this here. Reported.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The heck kind of talk is this? This is a professional forum. We don't talk like this or get personal. Next episode like this will result in banning.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Alac means apple losless audio codec, jerk. Aac it's another thing. Retard. A flac file in x kbs turn it to alac and keeps the bitrate. Can be 1411kbs 2822kbs 4xxx kbs, 1444kbs sounds light years better than any 320kbs mp3, jerk, not to mention mp3's normally use joint stereo. Flac and alac files are pure stereo always or pretty much always. Son of a bitch.
Oh, you really went into the deep end of the pool. Temporary ban issued. Please use the time to reflect whether you want to participate here and talk about technology, not other people.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Oh, you really went into the deep end of the pool. Temporary ban issued. Please use the time to reflect whether you want to participate here and talk about technology, not other people.
All the crazies are coming out to play while I'm asleep :D

I'm glad he didn't start insulting you , that's my job !

Top Bottom