• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quality Microphone to Computer (via Soundcard)

Jungstar

Hello

I'm looking at a good mic to record for youtube video's and connect to my desktop PC.
I have a $150 soundcard (Soundblaster AE-5) that primarily is a DAC, but it also has Audio Input via 3.5mm.

It seems all quality Mic are either USB connected or xlr.

Is there no way to use my Soundcard to record audio via 3.5mm with a good mic?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Any cheap electret condenser mic will provide adequate quality for YouTube purposes, but you should look for a directional one with a cardiod pattern. This will minimise the sound of the room so it won't sound echoey.

Plenty of 3.5 mm jack versions out there, just google and find one that suits your budget.

Willem

Major Contributor
It depends a bit on what you want to do with the microphone. If it is for recording your own voice, a headset microphone is best because it excludes external noise much better. I use a Sennheiser ME-3 for speech recognition, and it is superb: http://www.speechrecsolutions.com/mic_guide_advanced.html That website also provides a lot of useful extra information for this demanding application.
If it is for recording video sound from a camera I would recommend the Sennheiser MKE 600 plugged into a little digital recorder (preferably one with XLR input) and then synchronise with something like Pluraleyes software. If you decide to stick with a 3.5 mm plug, there is the KA 600 adapter.
A simple camera microphone solution would be the Sennheiser MKE 400, directly on top of the camera (if the camera has a connector for external audio). But the MKE 600 with an external recorder will be better. Alternatively, and with a less directional pattern, many microphones built into even cheap external recorders from the likes of Tascam or Olympus are pretty decent, and much better than microphones built into cameras.

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
Hello

I'm looking at a good mic to record for youtube video's and connect to my desktop PC.
I have a $150 soundcard (Soundblaster AE-5) that primarily is a DAC, but it also has Audio Input via 3.5mm.

It seems all quality Mic are either USB connected or xlr.

This is a good 3.5mm mic. It comes with a calibration file so you can make measurements with it as well.

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/imm-6-idevice-calibrated-measurement-microphone.html

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
youtubers like to use FocusRite audiointerfaces. Scarlett etc.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
A bit late, but anyway, my $0.02:
There is - use a little mixer that provides at least one XLR mic input including full +48V phantom power, plus the requisite cabling (usually 2x 1/4" TS --> 3.5 mm). For many people, something basic like a Behringer Xenyx 802 or 1002FX should do the job fine (a random condenser mic won't be that picky, while dynamic mics will separate the wheat from the chaff). I eventually got a used Mackie 402VL4 (for no more than what a Xenyx Q1002USB had cost me), which has a better-performing mic preamp and fares better in terms of build (e.g. having a locking power connector and power switch on the back) and still does what I need.

Recommended settings for use on a consumer line level input:
Main level: ca. -10 dB
Channel level: ca. 0 dB when in use, otherwise turn down all the way
Mic gain: Do not expect too much in terms of dial accuracy here, but you should be seeing maybe 12..1 o'clock (typically 25-30 dB) for a large diaphragm condenser mic and about 3 o'clock (~40 dB) for a dynamic.

paddu

Try getting any of these https://appuals.com/best-microphone-for-vocals/ as Shure, rode and Audio Technica microphones are solid deals, you wont get disappointed. I had the same problem because I was a newbie too when I bought it and trust me the Audio Technica at 2035 is amazing, and I've also paired it with an external USB sound card of FS audio it might suit you as well.

OP
J

Jungstar

To be honest I followed most noobs and got a Yeti on sale for $65. It seem to pick up a lot of noise around, and I need to be careful but as long as there is silent it seems pretty good. I also realized that that ADC in my Soundcard is OK (DAC is great!), but I think the Yeti ADC is much better.
Thanks for replies!

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming you choose the right type of microphone (see previous posts), the quality of the recording will depend much more on:
  1. levels of ambient noise and reflections in the recording environment
  2. how well the recorded audio is mixed
I would focus on those two factors before spending a lot of money on the mic itself IIWY.

Top Bottom