• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quality ground loop isolator?

SoNic

I have bought a headphone amplifier and I connected it to my PC sound card (SoundBlaster ZxR). To my unpleasant surprise, when they are connected them with RCA cables I can hear some low level electrical noise. Not hum, but something that's something else. Probably because I have an UPS, I don't know.
I connected both to the same power strip... touched a wire between the cases, still noise.
I have a cheap ground loop isolator and, with that in circuit, there is complete silence. But then, I am unhappy of having a transformer adding distortion between the two.
Is there a decent ground loop insulator, with >12kohm impedances, that doesn't break the bank? I am looking at bandwidth but mostly distortions.

Alternately my amp has balanced inputs... but changing the sound card output from single-ended to balanced, with an active circuit, might have the same noise.

Any other ideas?

LE: Problem solved. The fancy Monster cables are in the trash bin and older RCA cables from 80's are doing a great job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom