• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quad Vena II Amp or NAD D3045

panther

I am in the market for a smallish amp and either the Quad Vena II or NAD D3045 fit the size of area I have to put it and have the features I am looking for (as well as fit my budget). I have found a few reviews on both but not a whole lot of actual testing. I did see a link here to the NAD https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...ac&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154 and found a basic one on the QUAD here https://www.hifinews.com/content/quad-vena-ii-integrated-amp-lab-report
I am using MartinLogan Motion 35xti currently and don't play them super loud usually. My Yamaha WXA-50 has been doing a decent job with them but I need to have 2 amps now. Does anyone have experience with either, I am leaning towards the Quad as I like that it has a 6.35mm headphone input over 3.5mm but the NAD is about $600 less for me to buy.
Anyways thanks if anyone has experience with them.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Quad output power @ 2x 45W RMS (8Ω) / 2x 65W RMS (4Ω) is apparently less than the NAD Continuous output power into 4 and 8 Ohms @ 60W (ref. 20Hz-20kHz at 0.03% THD, both channels driven). That's something to take into account although I'm a bit confused with all the power output rating awkwardness from NAD on this model. The Quad does seem to be more honestly rated.

OP
P

panther

The Quad output power @ 2x 45W RMS (8Ω) / 2x 65W RMS (4Ω) is apparently less than the NAD Continuous output power into 4 and 8 Ohms @ 60W (ref. 20Hz-20kHz at 0.03% THD, both channels driven). That's something to take into account although I'm a bit confused with all the power output rating awkwardness from NAD on this model. The Quad does seem to be more honestly rated.
Yes, there is something on the quad site also about 2x15000uF reservoir capacity so I assume that is for dynamic power although I haven't been able to clearly find that out. Talking with the shop they said they thought it would be more then enough for small bookshelf speakers ( I had to laugh as the Martin Logans speakers are massive to me sitting on a desk) they have had them hooked up to floor standers. Can't get to the shop anytime soon for a demo sadly.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, there is something on the quad site also about 2x15000uF reservoir capacity so I assume that is for dynamic power although I haven't been able to clearly find that out. Talking with the shop they said they thought it would be more then enough for small bookshelf speakers ( I had to laugh as the Martin Logans speakers are massive to me sitting on a desk) they have had them hooked up to floor standers. Can't get to the shop anytime soon for a demo sadly.
I've worked on and seen amps with 10,000 microFarad per (2x)voltage rail and those where plenty up to about 100W/ch. For better linearity the bigger the capacitors the better of course. The NAD can't rate it's power supply the same way due to the hybrid design? The NAD has more power output at the day's end according to specs. As per sound quality I imagine both to be on a similar plane. Save the $600 and buy something else with the savings...

OP
P

panther

I've worked on and seen amps with 10,000 microFarad per (2x)voltage rail and those where plenty up to about 100W/ch. For better linearity the bigger the capacitors the better of course. The NAD can't rate it's power supply the same way due to the hybrid design? The NAD has more power output at the day's end according to specs. As per sound quality I imagine both to be on a similar plane. Save the $600 and buy something else with the savings...
Ok thanks for your feedback I appreciate it! My only other quibble is I like the Quad having a 6.35 headphone output vs 3.5mm although I don't use headphones a whole lot.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmz...

QUOTE QUAD>
The Vena II incorporates a dedicated headphone amp with current-feedback circuitry, its gain bandwidth and high slew rate delivering a more dynamic, detailed and engaging performance with all manner of headphone types.

QUOTE NAD>
"HeadPhone Amp, High Current headphone amplifiers start at the price of the D 3045 and go up from there."

Hmmz... Have you downloaded the owners manuals for them and compared what they offer? Sometimes they provide specs that are not otherwise published.

OP
P

panther

Hmmz...

QUOTE QUAD>
The Vena II incorporates a dedicated headphone amp with current-feedback circuitry, its gain bandwidth and high slew rate delivering a more dynamic, detailed and engaging performance with all manner of headphone types.

QUOTE NAD>
"HeadPhone Amp, High Current headphone amplifiers start at the price of the D 3045 and go up from there."

Hmmz... Have you downloaded the owners manuals for them and compared what they offer? Sometimes they provide specs that are not otherwise published.
Yeah I did. The NAD specs were a little more detailed and a couple reviews ranged from it's ok to very happy with it. The Quad reviews I haven't seen anything specific and couldn't find anything in their manual on specs. It only said users can select up to 4.5 volts and the user can adjust although it doesn't specify how (I am guessing with the volume pot)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I did. The NAD specs were a little more detailed and a couple reviews ranged from it's ok to very happy with it. The Quad reviews I haven't seen anything specific and couldn't find anything in their manual on specs. It only said users can select up to 4.5 volts and the user can adjust although it doesn't specify how (I am guessing with the volume pot)
I've read the official Quad Sales Brochure and it's official as I like to say. That's good. I have no idea what voltage would be selected at this ~range off hand.
https://www.g8ds.com/quad/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/20150714162807_4.pdf

OP
P

panther

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah that was for the first generation Vena, supposedly the MkII model has a better HP output as it has a dedicated amp vs the first gen (and the DAC got changed).
lol... I got the link from this link. I'd like to know more about the NAD but I'm just not seeing it. The Quad is 2x price approx? The Quad is a long term lifestyle purchase I think.

OP
P

panther

lol... I got the link from this link. I'd like to know more about the NAD but I'm just not seeing it. The Quad is 2x price approx? The Quad is a long term lifestyle purchase I think.
Yeah that is where I found that also, I thought it a bit funny the current product page links to the previous gen. I had written it off when I saw the older DAC at first. I found a place that is doing about 25% off on the Quad so it had my interest, but basic specs I felt like the NAD had better power. But a few people I have seen that have written on the Quad say it has a warm sweet sound for what it's worth, which is what I am looking for.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah that is where I found that also, I thought it a bit funny the current product page links to the previous gen. I had written it off when I saw the older DAC at first. I found a place that is doing about 25% off on the Quad so it had my interest, but basic specs I felt like the NAD had better power. But a few people I have seen that have written on the Quad say it has a warm sweet sound for what it's worth, which is what I am looking for.
25% off is good and not getting the shaft that is for sure. :D The Quad does have a nice layout.

Top Bottom