• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qobuz vs Tidal App Comparison

Mtbf

Where is the switch for dark mode in the Qobuz desktop player for Windows? Can't find it anywhere.
Dark mode currently only works on the iPad app (and I presume Android?).
It doesn’t work (yet) on the Windows version.
On the iPad: My Qubuz -> Settings -> Interface -> Dark mode

EB1000

I'm using both Deezer premium and Tidal HiFi, simply because it is very easy to rip any album/track in lossless format, including MQA and play offline anytime using any player.

scherbakov_al

I have been using Qobuz for a while. A few days ago I decided to try the Tidal service. I tried listening to some of Pat Metheny's albums. I love this artist. Especially early albums. On Tidal, many of these albums are encoded in the MQA. Some albums on Tidal MQA have a green circle. The listening sound had a clear degradation at high frequencies. For listening I use a MacBook from Audirvana, as well as SMSL m500 and Beyerdynamic DT-990Pro. Conclusion - MQA with a green circle is not suitable for listening. One of Metheny's latest albums was encoded in the MQA with a blue circle. I compared this to an uncompressed Qobuz broadcast. I found differences in the sound of jumping hairs from the bow when playing the double bass. On Qobuz, the sound was natural and spatial; when the MQA was compressed, this sound lost its spatial dimension and became lifeless. When I heard this, the question of what to use to play the sound immediately disappeared. My obvious choice is Qobuz broadcast without any compression or any changes in sound material. I will spend my money on this service. For me, the choice is certain. I am disappointed that some of Pat Metheny’s albums have died when using MQA compression.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree on the interface appearance with Qobuz (I never had any issues with performance using iOS app). Roon solves all and makes provider transparent.
I don't. Don't like Tidal as it takes me to a homepage heavy on hip hop artists which are not my favorite. Also Qoboz seems far easier for me to navigate to stuff like classical music, and it seems like a reasonably wide selection. I never was able to find most of the classical on Tidal if it was there at all.

I also hate Tidal's dark homepage. Much prefer the black letter on white background of Qoboz.

Top Bottom