• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qobuz US vs. European catalogue?

capslock

I had previously subscribed to Tidal (went out the door for lying about being lossless once it became clear that even 16/44.1 files contain undecoded MQA junk) and Amazon Music HD (search function mixes individual titles with albums all the time, switching between Android phone and PC is cumbersome as the phone needs to be deregistered manually every time).

When I was in the US last week I got a trial account for Qubuz. Pricing is somewhat cheaper than in Europe, and I had hoped it would contain more American artists.

Well, after a quick check:
Sophie Hunger: fairly complete once I figured out her latest release "Ich liebe Dich", which is a collaboration with Brandao and Faber, can only be found under Brandao (for Tidal and Amazon, it is also listed in her albums).
Kari Bremnes: many albums missing
Gianmaria Testa: many albums missing
Andrea Motis: some albums missing but others that are not on Tidal and Amazon included

Ok, these were all European artists. How about Dar Williams?

Qobuz.us contains only
I'll Meet You Here
Many Great Companions

This is the list that is available on Qobuz.de
I'll Meet You Here (10)
Dar Williams
2021-09-30

Time, Be My Friend (1)
Dar Williams
2021-09-16

Today and Every Day (1)
Dar Williams
2021-08-19

You Give it All Away (1)
Dar Williams
2021-07-28

The Music Hall Session (5)
Dar Williams
2021-01-28

Emerald (11)
Dar Williams
2015-06-28

In the Time of Gods (12)
Dar Williams
2012-04-15

When I Was a Boy (1)
Ellen Kaye
2012-03-01

Many Great Companions (32)
Dar Williams
2009-11-29

My Better Self (13)
Dar Williams
2004-12-31

End Of The Summer (11)
Dar Williams
1997-07-14

Mortal City (11)
Dar Williams
1996-01-22

The Honesty Room (13)
Dar Williams
1992-12-31

Four of these are singles, so that leaves 9 albums or live collections, 7 more than on Qobuz.us, and that is for a US artist. Still not the whole catalogue listed on Dar's homepage: https://darwilliams.com/product/f/Music/intro/

It lists for more albums:
Promised Land
Beauty of the Rain
Cry Cry Cry
The Green World

Two of these I have on CD, so I am not sure if they were on Tidal.de or not , but Cry cry cry and Green World were defintely not.

I searched online and found some complaints from 2019 and early 2020 that their catalogue was small, but it was supposed to be built through 2020. My first impression is that it is still poor compared to European catalogues. Is anyone in a position to compare or comment?

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Definitely a Qobuz US problem, all those releases but for Cry Cry Cry are on Spotify US (and Argentine Tidal FWIW).

kschmit2

just checked Tidal.com from Germany and it lists the following albums for Dar Williams:

1651667879680.png

plus the following EPs & Singles:

1651667948083.png

and one Live Album:

1651667990752.png

@capslock : I am aware that you are familiar with tidal, and I share the same sentiments wrt MQA. I just wanted to share what's available catalog-wise.

Deezer also seems to offer the same albums as Tidal: https://www.deezer.com/en/artist/14860
Same for Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/de/artist/dar-williams/1133625

Cry, Cry, Cry is available on Apple Music
so that it seems like Apple Music might be the only option that has all albums available.

OP
C

capslock

Thanks! How do you check the catalogue of each of these services without an active subscription?

(As for Dar, note that Tidal has may albums double listed. It is just one more than Qobuz.de. I noticed this before that Tidal will have US and European releases side by side. No idea how they to that. Qobuz's problem seems to be that they have to get the streaming rights for each reason depending on who holds the copyright there.)

If it is only one artist, I can live with that, but the problem for Qobuz.us seems to be more widespread based on my checking just a few artists. I would consider switching to Qobuz.de if it pretty much has the same catalogue as Tidal.de.

Amazon.de and Tidal.de had pretty much the same catalogue. I would go for Amazon if it didn't have that crappy app.

OP
C

capslock

Licensing deals for each digital media/streaming service (not just music) are always going to be different in each country.
Interestingly, Tidal.de quite often has US, Japanese or special itunes editions of albums in parallel to the European edition. All can be played. I wonder how they do it and Qobuz apperently has trouble getting the rights for the US for albums they already have in their European catalogue.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I'm subscribed to qobuz (EU) and Tidal (Argentina) but I'm failing to find

Eric Clapton

Slowhand At 70: Live At The Royal Albert Hall.​

I purchased the concert on iTunes but I would like to simply stream the album trough roon.

There seems to be a double audio cd set of the concert available but I can't find it on the Qobuz store or hdtracks

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm subscribed to qobuz (EU) and Tidal (Argentina) but I'm failing to find

Eric Clapton

Slowhand At 70: Live At The Royal Albert Hall.​

I purchased the concert on iTunes but I would like to simply stream the album trough roon.

There seems to be a double audio cd set of the concert available but I can't find it on the Qobuz store or hdtracks
Not on US Qobuz (or Spotify) either.

Top Bottom