• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qobuz genres are FUBAR

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bettye Swann is a hip hop artist? Just one example. I noticed a lot of my favorites have head scratching classification. I thought the French were tuned into African American music [ducking my head]. Really though, I have a small part of me wanting to switch to Tidal because they get this. Tidal is American, I'm American. For all our faults USA gave the world blues and jazz and rock and roll. This from a semi-self-loathing American.

Newman

Major Contributor
Well when the artists themselves.. like Sigur Ros repeatedly referring to themselves as heavy metal... then it's a lost cause. ;)

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha ha, maybe that is part of it. But I doubt Will Kimbrough considers himself a pop artist {just a guess, from meeting him].

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bettye Swann is a hip hop artist? Just one example. I noticed a lot of my favorites have head scratching classification. I thought the French were tuned into African American music [ducking my head]. Really though, I have a small part of me wanting to switch to Tidal because they get this. Tidal is American, I'm American. For all our faults USA gave the world blues and jazz and rock and roll. This from a semi-self-loathing American.
One of my few gripes with Qobuz is they put Blues and Folk into the same genre.

mSpot

Having many millions of albums, Qobuz wouldn't be doing the classifications themselves. They are using metadata from the recording labels and 3rd party databases. A good place to complain would be the Official Qobuz Issues Thread on AudiophileStyle, which Qobuz staff actively participate in.

Katji

Major Contributor
Someone, somewhere, is responsible for logic that uses Blues for default when Genre is not specified by user. iow, instead of leaving it empty/blank, the recording or conversion software uses Blues as a default.
Since long ago, like >15 years ago, before music streaming services began. Maybe Apple, maybe Logic Pro, I don't know. Maybe incidence is gradually lower but I think it still happens.

ergre

Not only genres but sometimes artists names. for example when I looked up Havana de Primera I got:

Havana D' Primera
Havana D'Primera
Havana D`Primera
Alexander Abreu y Havana D' Primera

All with different albums.
Ok it is probably a difficult one to get right and not really a mainstream band.
I wonder how that kind data is entered? Do publishers type it in them selfs?

Katji

Major Contributor
That one ^^^ is difficult for data validation. They are simply different data...would need to use [that "like this" algorithm] and then there would stil need to be some way of determining/selecting.
That is why I have never used the data from those db sites as is, always edit it or just do it myself from the start, disable the lookup thing.

Top Bottom