• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pyle PT8000CH Multichannel Amplifier Teardown

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It looks a transparent pcb material and the bottom traces are visible through it. It the vias were plated, solder would be drawn up during flow soldering and should be visible from the top layer.
With this magnification, it seems to be. :facepalm:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm guessing those yellow traces are where the bottom layer of copper has been etched away.
I realise that but in order for that to be true we should be seeing some components touching those layers. If you look closely you will see that all of those yellow traces avoid components.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I realise that but in order for that to be true we should be seeing some components touching those layers. If you look closely you will see that all of those yellow traces avoid components.
Those yellow traces are not traces, but areas between the green traces where all of the copper has been etched away and that is why no component leads are connected to the yellow area.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those yellow traces are not traces, but areas between the green traces where all of the copper has been etched away and that is why no component leads are connected to the yellow area.
I agree.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Why not from the side vents which are spread at almost the same area as the fan covers. Obviously less area than the full fan opening but still there is a lot of vent area still. Besides, the maximum heat to be dispersed is defined by the IEC power connector, which is about 1000W (240V x 15A * 30%). That is not a huge amount.
What I mean is *if* the heatsinks and fan go from top to bottom, the air the fan sucks in has nowhere to go, if top and bottom are blocked off. The heatsink would essentially be sealed off from the rest of the internals. Like I said, hard to see and there might be enough room for the air to escape. But like you said, it probably doesn't even matter regardless. I'll take a wild guess and say the amp's efficiency is 70%, so we have around 250W of heat dissipation in the housing at maximum power output from all channels, which is not a lot anyways. And it's very unlikely that all channels are running at 100% duty cycle. Unless they're constantly clipping of course :D

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@peniku8 efficiency is probably less on PT8000CH but I don't think anyone would pump it over 60W at 8 Ohms, especially when all channels driven. Active coiling is better done than most. Direct to heatsinks fan's and one per each to typical one in distance not really doing anything for direct air flow like in most typical AVR's and PA amplifiers. Most of the heat dispersions will as always go up (physics) and of course not blocking intakes and uper side is important like with all.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Amir, thank you for this. A question to you (and the membership) : when you were in there inspecting and looking around, what did you think of the build quality? How confident are you that this amp would last five years under 'normal' operating conditions?

milosz

Forum Donor
If they can sell this "fairly decent" amp at such a low price, what does that tell us about the firms selling $15,000 amplifiers? Do they really contain that much more in increased physical and intellectual content so as to be worth that price?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
well i mean a $15,000 amp isnt built in China

you dont have to go too far to see the difference... is emotiva any better? parasound are in taiwan

i feel like this isnt a $300 amp... its supposed to be a $500 amp but I'd love to see what the average transaction price is

would people say that the Aiyima A07 and that sort is built to the same standard as this?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
well i mean a $15,000 amp isnt built in China

you dont have to go too far to see the difference... is emotiva any better? parasound are in taiwan

i feel like this isnt a $300 amp... its supposed to be a $500 amp but I'd love to see what the average transaction price is

would people say that the Aiyima A07 and that sort is built to the same standard as this?
Don't be too sure. It may just be built there, or somewhere in the far east, and get a good inspection.

Schollaudio

Simple 180 rotation of the amp boards to provide 2x the channel count.
Two separate 4 channel amps in one chassis. If a user doesn't need 8 channels they could use two channels from each board to better distribute load between the two.

Schollaudio

Unusually good build quality given the price.

Cooling for the inner components like capacitors and buffer stages is a slight concern, but adding another fan and some plastic ducting would be extremely cheap and simple.
Those parts don't run that hot.
Looks like you are an expert. ;) Did you ever design a PCB? Specially a double-sided?
I stay with my comment. No expectations needed.
I am talking about the Pyle not the Onkyo.
I think it's single sided. Some manufacturers print the outline of the traces on top of the PCB to make construction and troubleshooting easier.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
[Goes directly into strategies for lowering noise and distortion...]

Interesting how many of the resistors are carbon film instead metal film. I wonder of any of those e-caps are DC coupled and could be replaced with poly? I also wonder what the spec on the output transistors is? For maybe $100, this could possibly be turned into a contender. Too bad I don't have an Audio Precision on my bench. I would be very tempted...

Schollaudio

[Goes directly into strategies for lowering noise and distortion...]

Interesting how many of the resistors are carbon film instead metal film. I wonder of any of those e-caps are DC coupled and could be replaced with poly? I also wonder what the spec on the output transistors is? For maybe $100, this could possibly be turned into a contender. Too bad I don't have an Audio Precision on my bench. I would be very tempted...
The PSU rail caps could use an upgrade. That might get some more dynamic power.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No wonder it's so heavy, look at those transformers.

SuicideSquid

If they can sell this "fairly decent" amp at such a low price, what does that tell us about the firms selling $15,000 amplifiers? Do they really contain that much more in increased physical and intellectual content so as to be worth that price?
No.

Top Bottom