• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pyle PT8000CH 8-Channel Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 103 47.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 80 36.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 6.4%

• Total voters

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right now Woot has 5 or more Pyle devices on sale-one is a 5.1 ch AVR for $79.99, a 7.1 AVR for $115, a 2 ch BT receiver for $34.99, a 2 channel power amp for $59.99 and a "multichannel preamp" for $59.99. One could have a "killer" HT system for <$500 but it would probably sound like <$500.
Or a bunch of work for Amir :)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This 40KW 3 phase 1U amp has been around for a decade but I have never seen anyone who actually had/used it:
There is probably no speaker that could handle so much power. I think one uses such monster amps for 100V distributed sound systems.

pma

Major Contributor
Here is our dashboard:
PT8000CH 8 multi-channel amplifier distribution stereo measurements.png

As you have mentioned this is a class AB circuit, the distortion spectrum shown is that of pure crossover distortion. It is the worst type of distortion with respect to audibility and at the level shown it may become audible, especially at lower volume.

Smitty2k1

Does no one else here have an in-ceiling speaker setup in their home? This is obviously what it is designed for, as it can be bridged with one or more additional amps if you need more zones. I'm sure there are no "smart" features built into this, much like my old Marantz multi channel amps I'm using for my in-ceiling system. However, it does look like it can do mono output, which is neat, I'm using extra boxes for that right now. Individual channel level adjust is great for multi zone, my Marantz don't have that. Auto on/off based on audio input is a nice touch too, if it works well. Again, the Marantz don't have that.

Edit; ahhhhhhhhhhhhh no remote, well that's a deal breaker.

It probably measures better than these Marantz amps I have too. Plus each of these Marantz amps only does 6 channels (3 "zones"). Could ditch an entire box if I replaced with the Pyles.

Attachments

• 20220125_205348.jpg
    20220125_205348.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does no one else here have an in-ceiling speaker setup in their home? This is obviously what it is designed for, as it can be bridged with one or more additional amps if you need more zones. I'm sure there are no "smart" features built into this, much like my old Marantz multi channel amps I'm using for my in-ceiling system. However, it does look like it can do mono output, which is neat, I'm using extra boxes for that right now. Individual channel level adjust is great for multi zone, my Marantz don't have that. Auto on/off based on audio input is a nice touch too, if it works well. Again, the Marantz don't have that.

It probably measures better than these Marantz amps I have too. Plus each of these Marantz amps only does 6 channels (3 "zones"). Could ditch an entire box if I replaced with the Pyles.
why would anyone need a remote for an amp?? to turn it on and off? buy a switched power strip.

peniku8

Forum Donor
There is probably no speaker that could handle so much power. I think one uses such monster amps for 100V distributed sound systems.
Note that it's a 4 channel amp (both actually, the PKN and the Powersoft X4). 4x10000W would be a good fit for 4 high powered dual driver PA subwoofers.

Smitty2k1

why would anyone need a remote for an amp?? to turn it on and off? buy a switched power strip.
Zone control for your in ceiling speakers. On/off, input switching, volume control. The "nice" ones have wifi and apps, the "dumb" ones just have IR remotes and you use IR repeaters or a Wifi IR remote like the Broadlink RM4. It seems Pyle has a pre-amp that's designed to do all those features.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Note that it's a 4 channel amp (both actually, the PKN and the Powersoft X4). 4x10000W would be a good fit for 4 high powered dual driver PA subwoofers.
There are subs where 2 drivers can handle 10 kW? 5 kW per driver??? :eek:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup:

Glitch

It's like private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket - sucks at everything else, but they put him a multichannel setup and oh damn, the best marksman of the battalion.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Most top of the line PA subwoofer drivers from reputable manufacturers can handle such burst loads, like B&C, 18sound, LaVoce, Eminence for example.
Here is a CEA-2010 from data-bass with two of the aforementioned IPAL drivers on a bridged K20:
1170.png

Note that from 31.5Hz and up, the bridged K20 (18KW) is clipping before the two drivers fail the distortion test.
Modern sub drivers can handle a lot of short term power and that is needed for the things that are burst-y in nature, like a drumkit for example.
Additionally, modern amplifiers have a plethora of limiters to protect the drivers from overheating. It's fine to feed 5KW into the driver, but only if the duty cycle is sufficiently low. If you're running EDM with long bass drones into the subs, the limiters should start coming in and limit the long term average (real) power to about a tenth of that.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Man, this thing would be worth it just to pull apart and use for parts!

PeteL

Major Contributor

Which Marantz amps?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Zone control for your in ceiling speakers. On/off, input switching, volume control. The "nice" ones have wifi and apps, the "dumb" ones just have IR remotes and you use IR repeaters or a Wifi IR remote like the Broadlink RM4. It seems Pyle has a pre-amp that's designed to do all those features.
It's a power amp, not an integrated. Power amps don't have input selection or remote controls typically. Or maybe I misunderstood your question/statement. All my power amps have an on/off switch and maybe a gain stage switch.

peniku8

Forum Donor
It’s at the limit of SpeakOn connector power rating!
Its current ratings are actually far over the ratings of the speakon connector (130A vs 40A), but considering that the former is a peak current rating and the latter is an RMS long term rating, they won't melt just yet..!

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This 40KW 3 phase 1U amp has been around for a decade but I have never seen anyone who actually had/used it:
3PHASE_40K_adv.jpg

Edit: and of course Powesoft's "new" X4 has a bit more power than the K20 (20KW vs 18)
I've neither seen nor heard of anyone using an amplifier that requires 3-phase power. What a beast!

WRT the Pyle, it looks like it costs about $5 a pound. That's cheaper than hamburger.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this is probably a good alternative to the Emotiva BasX series? Definitely better than I expected, altho longevity could well be an issue.

Top Bottom