• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pyle Pro PP444 Phono Preamp Reviewed

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Which inexpensive phono preamp is good?
How low do you need to go on cost? The best is Cambridge Duo/Solo. I tested the Duo but the solo is just $179 and has exceptional performance and looks good too.

Labjr

Major Contributor
How low do you need to go on cost? The best is Cambridge Duo/Solo. I tested the Duo but the solo is just $179 and has exceptional performance and looks good too.

I'm not in the market for one. Just curious. Actually one could probably build something better than this if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which inexpensive phono preamp is good?

Labjr, see the schiit phono review which lists some current options tested here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-schiit-mani-phono-stage.8052/

The cambridge audio duo is the top rated at 300. For 200 you can get the emotiva one. For 180 you can get the MM-only version of the cambridge audio phono but it hasn't been tested. Schiit makes a good one for 129.

The emotiva is only slightly better than the schiit although I like the compact size. I'd go for the schiit or get the cambridge duo if I thought I'd be running MC carts.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which inexpensive phono preamp is good? Actually one could probably build something better than this if you're handy with a soldering iron.
Yes, which is why I commented above that this sort of equipment is of value just for the case, as buying enclosures is more expensive than buying this one as a finished product and throwing the PCB away.

Nevertheless, occasionally one comes across something very cheap that either works well anyway, or can be made to work well with a bit of work. I fully agree, however, that the CA phono stage is a far better bet if DIY isn't one's thing.

S

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Amir - how do you know the solo has equivalent performance? It seems like a reasonable assumption but do you have some other insight?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I understand this is an extreme case, but it shows how poor power supply is clearly visible in the output.

@amirm , could you do a post on how a few other products may test differently using 1. Wall-outlet power versus your lab supply and 2. Different power cords. That would answer the age-old questions in another area of audiophile voodoo.

Otherwise, could you/our panel experts pls direct me to other previously done studies on this?
The trouble is it depends. At one end of the scale you've got something like this PP444 which is terrible with the PSU it's supplied with, and merely bad with a lab supply. At the other end we have the ADI-2 which is essentially immune to the external DC supply as explained here when alternate supplies were discussed.
I'd argue that if the equipment is anything other than very cheap, if changing the power supply significantly changes the output then the equipment is poorly designed.

Top Bottom