• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi worth it?

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hwat in the hell did I just read...

p184316_n75459_cc_v9_aa.jpg

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here.

Had both Purifi (Apollon Purifi Mini) and many Ncore amps on hands for testing (NC122/252/250/500MP, NC500 OEM) and didn't find any difference when listened at the same level.

@Chromatischism That being said, their behaviour regarding Gain and max SPL before clipping differed quite a bit each others. It also seems that 1ET400A deals better with low impedances. It is technically a better module than NC252MP, no debate. If you're seeking for higher SPL, depending of the LP distance and your speakers, then yes, it still may be an audible upgrade.
Regarding your comment about Purifi, I'm guessing you mean low impedance speakers? 86 sensitivity fall into that category?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The impedance plot shows a minimum impedance of 4.9 ohms according to Erin's Corner. Revel M126Be.
1701972694913.png

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it just falls into low sensitivity category. ;) What's the impedance curve of the speaker ?
To further clarify the nature of my question, I currently use three NC252MP for F/C/S with my Denon x8500h with internal amps turned off (104 SINAD). I also use Multi-eq-X and am crossing at 100Hz with two 15 in Rythmik subs. I don't listen to music very loud, 75db to 80db in reality. But I DO want the highest quality sound for stereo playback. I've always wanted to hear the Purifi so was considering a two channel Audiophonics Purifi for the mains, and wondering whether I would hear any difference. Thank you for any thoughts you might share.

Attachments

• REW 12.6.23.png
    REW 12.6.23.png
    458.9 KB · Views: 19

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm really not an expert at multichannel, but looking at your in-room FR, I would personally cross the subs lower. ;) That could also give a bit of rest to your nCores, somehow.
Thank you. I've tried lower crossovers and it never sounds as good as at 100. My main question was whether you thought the Purifi might make a positive, impact with the M126Be's for stereo listening.

P.S. Wouldn't a lower crossover create MORE load on the Ncores?

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is purifi worth it from technical superiority over hypex ncore? Yes

Is purifi worth it from audibility over hypex ncore? doubt it.

If I had the budget, purifi, and never have to think about upgrading! ;)

Would I get purifi and less than excellent speakers? Nope. Speakers are much more important. I'll take excellent speakers with hypex ncore amps, with a budget in mind.

FYI... Genelec amps have like 80dB SINAD.
Look how well they perform. I doubt many people dislike Genelecs because of their less than stellar amps.

Yeah, and the D&D 8c use Pascal amps. Several rungs down on the amp scale, but still one of the best home speakers of the last decade.

Amps are overated and solved. Much more interesting things to put money and energy into for home audio

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Is purifi worth it from technical superiority over hypex ncore? Yes

Is purifi worth it from audibility over hypex ncore? doubt it.

If I had the budget, purifi, and never have to think about upgrading! ;)

Would I get purifi and less than excellent speakers? Nope. Speakers are much more important. I'll take excellent speakers with hypex ncore amps, with a budget in mind.

FYI... Genelec amps have like 80dB SINAD.
Look how well they perform. I doubt many people dislike Genelecs because of their less than stellar amps.
Wow. That’s my old post and it’s still true.

Top Bottom