• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi vs Hypex vs ICEPower

daniboun

Major Contributor
I think it's fair that people be allowed to post their impressions of the sound they hear. There is an ASR cadre of naysayers ready to shout down impressions because they aren't "proven" -- which they aren't, granted, but nevertheless ...

I have a Purifi amp that I have listened to with a two different buffers and a variety of different ops. My "unproven" impressions are the following.

The Hypex buffers were unlistenable with a harsh, unnatural high treble, especially a higher volumes.

I bought the VTV buffers with Sparkos SS3602 op amps. I swapped these for several different op amps including OPA1612, Burson V6 Vivid, and OPA627. I preferred the Sparkos for having the smoothest and most natural treble without loss of detail.

Op amps do differ in their distortion profiles. Check out measurements by Sparkos that show results for a few different op amps: some of very similar, some sufficiently different that sound difference could be audible.

... Sparkos comparative measurements

SS3602_THD.jpg

Muses_THD.jpg

You should give a try with the OPA2210 that is a modern bipolar super beta OP amp, I tried it with my Purifi, Dual Tripath and TPA325X amps.
It is an amazing OP amp, fast accurate with a incredible soundstage. I did not find any faults in it. Clean, well-defined basses, a sublime midrange and very soft and well-transcribed highs.

Sounds better than any OP amp I tried (1622 / 1656 / 1612 / Muse / JRC4580 / OPA627 / Burson V5i / etc)

OP
K

kovaga

I have spoken to Trebor from Apollon and he highly recommends going for bi-amp option with a pure 4 amp.
That those speakers would benefit much more from 4x purifi 1et400a, then 2x purifi 1et400a with sparkos OpAmp. If not, then the more powerful Hypex NC1200 would do a better job driving them.

Anyone here bi-amps?

Andykay

I think it's fair that people be allowed to post their impressions of the sound they hear. There is an ASR cadre of naysayers ready to shout down impressions because they aren't "proven" -- which they aren't, granted, but nevertheless ...

I have a Purifi amp that I have listened to with a two different buffers and a variety of different ops. My "unproven" impressions are the following.

The Hypex buffers were unlistenable with a harsh, unnatural high treble, especially a higher volumes.

I bought the VTV buffers with Sparkos SS3602 op amps. I swapped these for several different op amps including OPA1612, Burson V6 Vivid, and OPA627. I preferred the Sparkos for having the smoothest and most natural treble without loss of detail.

Op amps do differ in their distortion profiles. Check out measurements by Sparkos that show results for a few different op amps: some of very similar, some sufficiently different that sound difference could be audible.

... Sparkos comparative measurements

SS3602_THD.jpg

Muses_THD.jpg
I have read a lot in this forum a out Class D and Purify and VTV. I find much more useful information through other Social Media groups. I thought I would give ASR a fair chance.
I think members of this forum need to consider things other than numbers. Firstly etiquette, then helpful un-buased information.

Measurements posted in this Forum are merely a guide and subject to errors in testing, and that is why equipment can show poor results on graphs and yet sound better in real life, real world

In an ideal world, a combination of data must be used with one's own hearing preferences to make an informed decision. Buying equipment based solely on SINAD measurements etc... Is inefficient and incomplete.

Holmz

Major Contributor

I think members of this forum need to consider things other than numbers. Firstly etiquette, then helpful un-buased information.
….

Maybe we should start in terms of etiquette?

But how about we start with this instead:
I have read a lot in this forum a out Class D and Purify and VTV. I find much more useful information through other Social Media groups. I thought I would give ASR a fair chance.
^That^ is mighty nice.

Measurements posted in this Forum are merely a guide and subject to errors in testing, and that is why equipment can show poor results on graphs and yet sound better in real life, real world
Are implying that:
  • The Purifi, for instance, doesn’t not sound good?
  • Or that something else sounds better?

In an ideal world, a combination of data must be used with one's own hearing preferences to make an informed decision. Buying equipment based solely on SINAD measurements etc... Is inefficient and incomplete.
There are metric tonnes of fora that describe the wife running from the kitchen (I suppose that is where they are kept?)… yearling and screaming, “What did you do to the system, I can hear it from the other room.”

There are not a lot of fora (and maybe just 1 forum) that does measurements and graphs.

I appreciate your etiquette to suggest that subjective listening is part of thIngs… it at leasts seems like maybe it’s the end goal.
But are you talking to the subjective forums and driving them to be more objective, or just this forum to be more subjective?

Lastly: where are you located Mr Kay.?

daniboun

Major Contributor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Andykay

^That^ is mighty nice.

Are implying that:

There are metric tonnes of fora that describe the wife running from the kitchen (I suppose that is where they are kept?)… yearling and screaming, “What did you do to the system, I can hear it from the other room.”

There are not a lot of fora (and maybe just 1 forum) that does measurements and graphs.

I appreciate your etiquette to suggest that subjective listening is part of thIngs… it at leasts seems like maybe it’s the end goal.
But are you talking to the subjective forums and driving them to be more objective, or just this forum to be more subjective?

I hope that any forum can work with more information and input , not just measurements. I find that some members are just Owly and condescending, not all, some. I have been an audio enthusiast for 45 years, so I do know a "few" things about Audio Components and the Art of Audio Appreciation skills. I look at some ASR information as a journey for discovery, but information contained in its threads are just part of the equation.

I live in Canada.

daniboun

Major Contributor

I quote

"Q: I read about GaN transistors and how they are the future. With this technology we can shift the switching frequency way up to megahertz and solve all the issues, right? I will never have to worry about output filters and high frequency distortion again!

A: While the technology is interesting and promising, we have yet to see an amplifier that has significantly better measurements than what we have with silicon today. More info here."

ASR has tested several GaN amplifiers and the measurements show us that they are not yet mature. But we are hopeful that GaN has great potential, I'm not saying otherwise ) This is the same for the SiCFET technology, these are even faster than the competing GAnFET technolgy in the same power class. We should be fixed in 2022)

daniboun

Major Contributor
I hope that any forum can work with more information and input , not just measurements. I find that some members are just Owly and condescending, not all, some. I have been an audio enthusiast for 45 years, so I do know a "few" things about Audio Components and the Art of Audio Appreciation skills. I look at some ASR information as a journey for discovery, but information contained in its threads are just part of the equation.

I live in Canada.

You re true ) My approach is always complemented by listening. I own almost all Class D amps on the market (Purifi, Ncore, Dual Tripath, TPA325X, TAS325X, FDA, Merus etc etc) I have enough hindsight today to say that measurements are part of the equation and that a purchase should not necessarily be induced by the result of a test without the appreciation of the human ear.
I read with great interest the measures shared by Amir, they are very useful for sure but I always take the time to listen in parallel.
This complex equation depends on your speakers, your preamp, your DAC or other combination around)

Andykay

Do you have any objective evidence of this?
There are a pile of Amps in this segment that measure poorly but are hard to surpass sonically. I'll give you two for starters. The Conrad Johnson Premier One or Krell KSA-100. Both are tough to beat sonically even by today's standards and excel in key areas such ohm stability, etc...

Attachments

• conrad-johnson-Premier-One-vacuum-tube-Power-amplifier-1.jpg
    conrad-johnson-Premier-One-vacuum-tube-Power-amplifier-1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 170
  • conrad-johnson-Premier-One-vacuum-tube-Power-amplifier-1.jpg
    conrad-johnson-Premier-One-vacuum-tube-Power-amplifier-1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 162
  • _C143464As.jpg
    _C143464As.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 161

Holmz

Major Contributor

I live in Canada.

That is all good, but the science part of ASR sort of defines that subjective terms like “synergy”, ”Liquidness”, “Organic” (etc.) are better served with factual things that are scientifically based.

Even though there is some uncertainty in subjective preference with the “causality” of objective measurements are trying to show… much work has been done to correlate what is subjectively liked with objective measurements.

There will likely always be some stuff on the leading edge, where work will happen to aid in explaining more things objectively, that have been heard subjectively.

IMO this is way better than just having a few golden eared people opining about equipment using flowery terms.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
There are a pile of Amps in this segment that measure poorly but are hard to surpass sonically. I'll give you two for starters. The Conrad Johnson Premier One or Krell KSA-100. Both are tough to beat sonically even by today's standards and excel in key areas such ohm stability, etc...
Nah - the KSA 100 is a slightly cloudy, thickened and velvet 'tone' even when old Roe caps on the boards are replaced with audiophool replacements! I remember CJ amps also sounding warm, soft and well, 'valvey' in character. I had a KSA50S for a while and that was far better and not at all 'sonically characterful' as it's original brand- ancestors were, even if the distortion measurements are pretty 'meh' by today's standards, whatever level the plateau bias sets itself to (I'll stick my neck out and say it was a gimmick to be honest if you look at the Stereophile review measurements of this amp as distortion rises with each 'step' in the biasing before settling back to the original levels).

As you can see, my subjective vibes are polar opposite to yours and in my opinion, THAT'S why we need thorough objective tests to override mere personal opinions! If you like the look, cachet and sheer bulk of a CJ or old Krell amp, I can't possibly argue with that. My own go-to amp is as ugly as heck, but I love it - the tech performance was state of the art fifty years back and still pretty fair today taken overall - it's not so happy with high power into four ohms though, but it was designed long before 3 - 4 ohm speakers became the norm...

I don't think you'd really need to 'listen' to a properly done Purifi or Hypex based amp - just fit and forget about it. Trying to hear differences in audio gear is a subjective nightmare as we're so easily fooled anyway (I was totally fooled once and once bitten...), To me, live music is so much more 'mechanical' and 'stark' than a typical audiophile sound system, which often makes everything sound 'nice' and not always in a good way...

Last edited:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked for objective evidence, not "tough to beat sonically." You've demonstrated nothing here.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
Send one in and have it measured - if not my wife says she cant tell the difference

Gregss

^That^ is mighty nice.

Are implying that:

Hello,

Well, if you like a particular type or mixture of distortion, that is fine. But, most of us want to hear exactly what the band and their engineer wanted us to hear. That is what we are striving for and testing for. But whatever floats your boat, just don't expect everyone else to jump onboard with your tastes.

Greg

Top Bottom