• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi vs Hypex vs ICEPower

F

freemansteve

Yes, I was not clear - actual power dissipated would be "minus"!
But "efficiency" is a ratio and I somehow confabulated that in what I was trying to say. :)

boXem | audio

Major Contributor
Manufacturer
I would think that 'running cool' is a function of energy dissipated in the box - its temperature will relate to power-in divided by power-out (efficiency). But yes, some designs do use a lot of energy when not doing a lot, let alone at max vol....

I would think any Class-D is going to be pretty efficient compared with other common designs.
The idea of "running cool" is mainly related to the dissipated power at idle. Because playing music means being close to idle most of the time, with random power bursts.
If one takes two class D designs each outputting 500W, A with 2.5W idling losses, B with 7W idling losses, their efficiency at full power will be almost the same (less than 1% difference), but when installed in the same environment, B will run several degrees hotter than A.
As an illustration, our case comfortably accommodate two 1ET400A while it's outside temperature becomes a bit too hot with two NC500.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Yes, I was not clear - actual power dissipated would be "minus"!
But "efficiency" is a ratio and I somehow confabulated that in what I was trying to say. :)

I knew what you meant.
If you correct the post I can delete my pedantic one?

marble

Hi,
I recently acquired an used dual ICEPower 200ASC. It was on the cheap side... And then I saw the Audiophonics MPA-S250NC XLR with Hypex Ncore NC252MP.
Not sure if it is insane or not to pull the trigger, again.
BTW, price is about the same for both.
And I always wanted SOTA for my amps...

Last edited:
Top Bottom