• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi vs Hypex vs ICEPower

Sokel

Master Contributor
One of my integrator clients has an LCR speaker setup that dips below 1ohm and he uses them for reference home theater duty (and cranks the volume to reference level minimum).

He recently tried our Purifi 7040SA monoblocks and said they are the first amp, including Class A/B ones he has used, that do not clip ever.
Clip by ear or indicators?

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Problem is my speakers are so "hard" to drive so all of the class D amps I have borrowed from Hifi dealers to test with my setups with are "clipping" or shut them self off. My Hifi dealer knows exactly what kind of speakers and setup I have. I would prefer a class D amp if they could drive my speakers. My Krells are running very hot and are heavy and take big place plus they draw enormous amount of energy (I had to install dedicated 25 amperes powerlines in my house just for the poweramps) There is a lot of advantages with class D poweramps but I do need amps that can handle my speakers both at low and high volume without clipping or shutting themself down. Wether or not my Krells are class A or A/B is another discussion but I have only the KSA, MDA and FPB series which are class A. All my Krells can handle loads below 1 Ohm, at least according to the manuals and lot of reviews from different sources (which I am aware of that most people here do not take seriously and I tend to agree with that but, measurements are measurements...) I do not like distortion at all thats why I maybe have oversized poweramps to drive my 4 Ohm speakers which occassionally can "dip" down to 1 Ohm. There are some people that say that the speakers are poorly or bad constructed but they are constructed that way deliberately. Arnie Nudell (speaker constructor) and Dan Dàgostino (constructor of my Krell series) worked together back in the -90`s. I would really be glad to find a class D amp that can drive my Infinitys for reasons stated above. Have You ever listened to a system like mine? I doubt it because you are writing about "hearing "nice" distortion in class AB amplifiers...." Give it a try, if You can find one...

You're right .. I never listened to speakers that hard ... I saw the Infinity Kappa once, but never listened.

I listened to many class AB amplifiers and all the subjective differences for many years ... until I made some blinded sessions and all my perfect world was shattered. Today, after some experiences (always with decent but "normal" speakers) and thanks to ASR I don't believe in sighted experiences anymore.

But, in your use case, I understand that maybe you need a more "special" class D amplifier ..
as other people with more profound knowledge in class D pointed to you.

Ok.

usa_satriani

Hello,

I have diy active speakers.

I used to have 2 parasound a23 for mids and highs (compression drivers).
The mid amp failed and I replaced it with small audiophonics ncore MPA-S125NC and it is great.
I am considering changing the other parasound a23, I think good hypex or purifi amp will have less ground noise.
My question is, data sheets show that ncore amps have a roll off starting a bit before 20khz, 20khz being at -0.5db, does that mean that they sound less good on the trebles?
Should I go with Puri or small ncore?
What is also good with Purifi is that it easily has low gain, which is good to drive compression drivers.

Regards Greg

Jim Creek

I very much doubt anyone in the world can discern a 0.5db drop between 10khz and 20khz.

usa_satriani

I agree with you and I know I can't.
But trying to know if they can be told appart in terms of trebles...and of course if they are an improvement compared to parasound a23. At least I think they would have less ground noise, maybe noise free.
Anyway and unfortunately the low gain possibility is a serious pro for me, that would mean the purifi...

delamelon

@kovaga I'm getting out the shovel because I have a dilemma...
I saw that you bi-amplified in Purifi?

will I have enough power in Purifi stereo or should I switch to ncore? :/

Top Bottom