• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi SPK5 Speaker Review (Prototype)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is an easy fix for this? Put in a gasket around the rabbit before screwing in the rear panel?

To be certain, would reseal the internal seams with wood glue.

For the back panel, if not glue, could latex caulk it. The owner might be able to salvage the back later or at least replace it with a little effort. Would make sure the port is secure before sealing it up.

Hope this helps. :)

P.S. Another good tweener adhesive is Liquid Nails. Gedlee recommends it for use as a CDL adhesive

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To be certain, would reseal the internal seams with wood glue.

For the back panel, if not glue. could latex caulk it. The owner might be able to salvage the back later or at least replace it with a little effort. Would make sure the port is secure before sealing it up.

Hope this helps. :)

P.S. A good tweener adhesive is Liquid Nails. Gedlee recommends it for use as a CDL adhesive
It does. I just liked the idea of being able to open the back and access things. Reaching inside through the woofer hole is a pain in comparison.

Pritaudio

How about a beryllium tweeter. Good for distortion but pain with crossover and cabinet design.

Pritaudio

Slightly off topic, but what would be recommended speaker pairing with the purifi amps.
im tempted to go for Neumann kh120 actives with kh750 sub, so although the response is flat, lot more distortion in the amps than the purifi Amps.
but I have seen rumours of it not being as resolving or lacking detail in a dull flat frequency response.
if only purifi did actives, and even better with room correction. But that would require a lot of r and d.
any others apart from elac reference 62. They might not be sufficiently resolving to take advantage of the purifi amps too.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
What is an easy fix for this? Put in a gasket around the rabbit before screwing in the rear panel?
Sounds like a trip to Home Depot. Foam insulation tape can be found in varying thicknesses...and if you could find a fairly thin product it would work well for this.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It does. I just liked the idea of being able to open the back and access things. Reaching inside through the woofer hole is a pain in comparison.

If you still want to have access, after you are sure the other seams are airtight, could use some wide masking tape to try to seal up the back panel. ;)

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This speaker is clearly damaged in transit and the repair not returned to original condition.

for instance; the impedance trace of a vented design should have a smooth and clearly defined minimum.

the mutiple part port has likely come apart and is leaking/not airtight- from inside to outside; affecting both the frequency response (no clear peak) and the impedance trace (rippled; high)

There’s also a wider and deeper shelf between 1-8Khz, that is not reproduced in Soundstage’s NRC.

(the clue is in the on-axis/distortion measurements and waterfall)

This is a region where measurements shouldn’t affected whether you have a home DIY measurement, anechoic chamber or Klippel NFS.

I wonder the manufacturer could be contacted for troubleshooting/remedying and reaffirming it was repaired to standard; before measurements of broken speaker are published openly and creating confusion/wild goose chase/criticism from spectators who haven’t measured or heard it.

Garbage in garbage out

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
@amirm very interesting. Different from the Purifi SPK4 Demo Kit I reviewed a while back. Here are some REW measurements at 30cm in my room with no gating and REW's default 500ms window:......

View attachment 95399

........While I am not a fan of the AMT21CM2.1, it had a similar sonic profile to the LS50's except the bass response went down to 32 Hz, with a port tuning of 35 Hz (I think they may have lowered it to 32 Hz on my box, but I would have to dig through my correspondence with Purifi). The XO was at 2.5 kHz. The bass response was amazingly loud and clear - smoked the LS50. It also did a pretty dang good job of pressuring my room. So much so, I gathered the family in to listen. Everyone very surprised to feel the bass from such a small speaker.
I really enjoyed your write up back when I read it.

I will say that your measurements are similar to what @Amir has and actually look worse to me. The PIR from the Kipple looks better to my tastes than what you resolved in your room.
That system is peaky around 300hrz with a droopy bass response. It drops nicely to 1k then droops and rises and is then quite bright and sort of peaky looking from 2.5k on. (I prefer a downward slope.)
Honestly I would deff be EQing those.

I like the comparison to the KEF LS50 but the KEF LS50 is not trying to replace the subwoofer. It is a solid 5.25" driver (and small 5.25 incher at that) that in no way has ever been marketed as anything more. Now compare this Purfi rig to the KEF R3. I am seeing very little reason not to be impressed with the R3.

There are several 6-7" woofers that pressurize a room pretty well and still work as 2-way but in the end as exciting as that is I'm just not seeing the costs equaling much gain as there are so many fantastic system that just need a little help from a sub or two. Now when Purfi tech is $50-125 a driver then the game is on.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The whole super midwoofer trend started by the danish was never driven by sound quality goals but by the desire for portability. Unless you absolutely need a speaker this small it is relatively easy to make or buy something better. The AMT is not a great choice of tweeter for a two way, either, although it could be worse.

I think with some refinement this kit could be pretty good but it's awfully expensive for the performance you get.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
My biggest take from all this is that in no way is this system as interesting as the new KEF LS50 II Wireless, the RBH Sound PM-8 Active Monitor or the Buchart A500.
Active tech and quite nice drivers in the LS50 II wireless, FIR&LR8 and a ribbon meets and 8"?? in the RBH, and the everyday but awesome middle of the road SB Acoustics drivers + master tunings in A500.
This represents state of the art to me.
I all always love and have a fondness for the passive game for sure. Now that I am really using active tech, advanced drivers are not going to make up for the missing super powers of PEQ, FIR, LR8, META, DSP, Switchable tunings, and such.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
My biggest take from all this is that in no way is this system as interesting as the new KEF LS50 II Wireless, the RBH Sound PM-8 Active Monitor or the Buchart A500.
Active tech and quite nice drivers in the LS50 II wireless, FIR&LR8 and a ribbon meets and 8"?? in the RBH, and the everyday but awesome middle of the road SB Acoustics drivers + master tunings in A500.
This represents state of the art to me.
I all always love and have a fondness for the passive game for sure. Now that I am really using active tech, advanced drivers are not going to make up for the missing super powers of PEQ, FIR, LR8, META, DSP, Switchable tunings, and such.
Isn't this design just a demonstration? It doesn't really make sense to compare it with commercial models IMO.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Isn't this design just a demonstration? It doesn't really make sense to compare it with commercial models IMO.
Well, we could have said the same for their amp but clearly they went all out there to create the best possible performance. They should have strived for the same here.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
It does because the woofer is "state of the art" .
I am saying that $350 drive units are not impressive anymore. There are already so many good ones that one is better of taking advantage of other stars in the art.
And yes, if you send out a demo for a state of the art driver your demo unit ought to be impressive. If not I am going to think you are not a good engineer. This is a very exoensive driver paired with an expensive tweeter and very expensive caps and coils. You better believe I vote this better sound good.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Well, we could have said the same for their amp but clearly they went all out there to create the best possible performance. They should have strived for the same here.
Fair point.

YSC

Major Contributor
The in room response is surprisingly good, more like those TOTL studio monitors in a quick look, so it seems even the on axis is sub par if we just put it in a typical room and don’t bother any treatment we will be greeted with a flat neutral sound???

btw for estimated in room response, approximately what is the placement of the speaker in a what sized room? That would be interesting

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
KEF LS50 II Wireless, the RBH Sound PM-8 Active Monitor or the Buchart A500.
One of these do not belong.

https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/rbh-pm-8-monitor/conclusion

It’s good, just not SOTA.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It does because the woofer is "state of the art" .
I am saying that $350 drive units are not impressive anymore. There are already so many good ones that one is better of taking advantage of other stars in the art.
And yes, if you send out a demo for a state of the art driver your demo unit ought to be impressive. If not I am going to think you are not a good engineer. This is a very exoensive driver paired with an expensive tweeter and very expensive caps and coils. You better believe I vote this better sound good.
What I had in mind was that the design from the outset was compromised by the choice of tweeter and enclosure. Certainly not up to the quality of work that went into making the woofer. It's less a speaker than "woofer demo" in that sense.

You're right though. They set the target too low. Or at least in the wrong place (expense rather than optimal performance).

Top Bottom