• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi PTT6.5W04-01A 6.5" midwoofer

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Bullet tweeter is a very unusual choice. Would have thought a high-performance compression driver from 18Sound/BMS/JBL in a modern waveguide design the natural partner to the Purifi.

Digression: When the 4" Purifi was announced, I first thought about the odd sizing - who would need a cost-no-object midwoofer in that form factor? Then I realised: amazing candidate for a line array.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
2020-04-22_18:42:55.png

Ehhh, not bad. And they use DSP? Now, I want to see measurements of the final product.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Neat little monitor. Mine are almost finished, but they wont have a finish that nice. You think for 7 g's (AUD) they'd post some measurements.

Lorenzo74

Here are mine.

(Yes those ports are green, you use what you can gets in a lockdown and this time it’s communications cable duct from the top of my work Ute)

View attachment 60444

View attachment 60446
Excellent job,just hand to some car body repair shop and you'll get amazing Ferrari red coating and might sell them easily for 7k... (without drivers of course... ;))

I'm wondering which is the best Xover (slope and Fs) keeping SPL and constant directivity. Purifi SPK5 sets it slightly above 3kHz, to me more to protect Tweeter than else. 6.5 might better crossed earlier since AMT21CM has pretty wide dispersion at 3.2kHz.

Would love to play with miniDSP. From drivers datasheet, I would start with LR4th (D&D 8C) from 2kHz moving upward. EQ and phase linearization will complete the setup.
Any of you is interested into developing a Cardioid design based on such Purifi excellent drivers?
My room is definitely my weakest point. Even if I managed to obtain almost textbook measurements I'm not happy... no DAC, no Amp, no Damping on the walls will indeed fix it. Early reflections and rooms modes are difficult to be tackled.
Dirac is doing a great job but "nulls" in the bass regions are impossible to be filled, I miss many bass guitar notes,don't you?
Apologize but I'm looking for "the DIY version of Bruno Putzeys"that is in all of you. A leader who, with all technology available today,(for example...ptt6.5, GTR145W-8, 3Dprinting, DSP, Class D amp), will guide us step by step to address the room interaction maybe landing to a Kii3 version but with Next generation drivers plus vertical and horizontal controlled directivity down as low as possible:cool:.
any interested? just ring the bell
Best Wishes and stay Healthy
Lorenzo

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The ATC mid... not available for diy anymore. Maybe the purifi 4” ? We shall see

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ATC mid... not available for diy anymore. Maybe the purifi 4” ? We shall see

The 4" was meant for high-excursion applications too though. If only Purifi would adapt their approach to a pure mid - lower excursion but even lower midrange distortion.

The ATC mid is overrated. Just an antiquated brute force design. The motor is much too large to have good CtC for the passband. Good mid domes include the compact, waveguided one Neumann uses for their active speakers.

Peas

VeerK

I've been out of the DIY speaker game for a bit, can't believe I missed the news on these. Coming from a pair of 18H52s, these woofers with a pair of passive radiators in a 2-way design would be very, very interesting to me. I wonder what tweeter I would use with these...

Reactions: 617

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I've been out of the DIY speaker game for a bit, can't believe I missed the news on these. Coming from a pair of 18H52s, these woofers with a pair of passive radiators in a 2-way design would be very, very interesting to me. I wonder what tweeter I would use with these...

Any of the bliesma offerings will work very nice. ...

Like this? ;)

spk1.jpg

spk2.jpg

To be released in a couple of weeks, a few finishing touches left to do.

Last edited:

VeerK

Any of the bliesma offerings will work very nice. Or wait for that sb SB acoustics berylium dome in 6" waveguide...

Source for the new SB Be? I’ve heard good things about some bliesma stuff, I think Hifi compass did a build with one. Mundorf is also on the table

Like this? ;)

View attachment 64581

View attachment 64582

To be released in a couple of weeks, a few finishing touches left to do.

March, these are gorgeous, spill some preliminary beans

Top Bottom