• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi PTT6.5W04-01A 6.5" midwoofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is starting to feel a bit like a crusade to be honest. I don't even design speakers with midwoofers. The midwoofer is the Toyota Camry of transducers.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Audiocrusader

It is starting to feel a bit like a crusade to be honest. I don't even design speakers with midwoofers. The midwoofer is the Toyota Camry of transducers.

Well if you want to sell speakers to anyone under 60 and doesn't wear a pocket protector, the 2 way is the way to go moving forward. Besides there's several drawbacks to trying to seamlessly integrate 3 drivers. You'll never get as seamless of integration as a 2 or 2.5 way.

Audiocrusader

If that's not true, how many Icepower, Hypex, or Purifi amps have landed on his desk? Hard to make money repairing products that never break. Or that would cost less to replace than pay someone to repair. Very bad for business for some I can imagine.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Point 1 is interesting.

Point 2 however I don't agree with. "traditionally" the spider was less suspension and more voice coil centering. The surround offered considerable additional suspension. Take a traditional speaker with no surround and drive it. See what happens. The spider was traditionally also placed much closer to the pole piece. This driver is like the Seas driver Wombat linked with the spider halfway along the basket arms, almost 50% along the cone.

I can also recall numerous drivers using helix-like surrounds, no surrounds at all, pleated, angled, channeled and shaped, all in the interests of linear excursion over the entire stroke and cone to surround interfacing to reduce distortion. It's hardly new.

Note diaphragm position in the Polk drawing shown here: https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/loudspeaker-drivers

Harman spider patent for distortion reduction: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20050008188

The purify list of distortions did not mention increased Doppler distortion that comes with larger cone travel.

Audiocrusader

The purify list of distortions did not mention increased Doppler distortion that comes with larger cone travel.

One of the key design elements of this driver is highly reduced distortion at large cone travel.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Well if you want to sell speakers to anyone under 60 and doesn't wear a pocket protector, the 2 way is the way to go moving forward. Besides there's several drawbacks to trying to seamlessly integrate 3 drivers. You'll never get as seamless of integration as a 2 or 2.5 way.

You know I love little 6.5" 2 way speakers. I've got a ton of them, all different brands, pedigrees and prices. There's at least 8 pairs in my loungeroom gathering dust and one pair on stands to listen to. They are fun and easy to compare (lightweight and easy to move) and produce a lot of sound from a small size.

But full range they are not. The mid band can be anything from very good to just OK. Real bass? Forget it. Power handling? forget it. Dynamic compression from VC heating- count on it- in spades.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Sssh. It's a magic woofer. These aren't the droids you are looking for...

1572925464534.png

Audiocrusader

You know I love little 6.5" 2 way speakers. I've got a ton of them, all different brands, pedigrees and prices. There's at least 8 pairs in my loungeroom gathering dust and one pair on stands to listen to. They are fun and easy to compare (lightweight and easy to move) and produce a lot of sound from a small size.

But full range they are not. The mid band can be anything from very good to just OK. Real bass? Forget it. Power handling? forget it. Dynamic compression from VC heating- count on it- in spades.

Yes I can imagine this is the case as they use outdated drivers from yesteryear. For home theatre the modern solution is adding active subs.

Wombat

Master Contributor

My comment was that Doppler distortion was not mentioned in the list of the distortions shown in the OP link. You have just shown another
reference that doesn't mention it. Well done. Thank you.
If you find information on the driver's Doppler distortion, let us know.

For the record I have not said that this is a poor driver. I am sceptical of the hoo-ha.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you need more comments from us to keep going or can I go to bed?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yes I can imagine this is the case as they use outdated drivers from yesteryear. For home theatre the modern solution is adding active subs.

Outdated drivers. Yes of course, and here I thought you were talking about my Windows installation.

Active subs eh? There's a pair of active PSBs here, a pair of active Mirage subs, a JBL active and a Bowers and Wilkins AS-600 also gathering dust. I've had enough of subwoofers- for 2ch music there's nothing to touch a big pair of 3 ways.

Do you need more comments from us to keep going or can I go to bed?

OK, off you go, that lingerie model and her friends will only wait so long...

1572926716549.png

Audiocrusader

My comment was that Doppler distortion was not mentioned in the list of the distortions shown in the OP link. You have just shown another
reference that doesn't mention it. Well done. Thank you.
If you find information on the driver's Doppler distortion, let us know.

For the record I have not said that this is a poor driver. I am sceptical of the hoo-ha.

The Doppler distortion is the main improvement achieved by this design. Is there an industry standard Doppler distortion spec shared by any driver manufacturers?

Distortion caused by excursion is Doppler distortion. This is explained precisely in these charts:

6237A039-5847-489B-9B96-39C7AB38962B.jpeg

Wombat

Master Contributor
The Doppler distortion is the main improvement achieved by this design. Is there an industry standard Doppler distortion spec shared by any driver manufacturers?

Distortion caused by excursion is Doppler distortion. This is explained precisely in these charts:

View attachment 37923

So you can see reduced Doppler distortion in figure 9. How did you manage to extract the Doppler distortion let alone see it has been reduced?

Top Bottom