• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi PTT6.5W04-01A 6.5" midwoofer

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Well the exact same suite of tests will be performed on the Purifi woofer when Voice coil gets them. However the Purifi team isn't a bunch of chumps who would publish the most comprehensive measurement data ever published in a driver datasheet, knowing that it would just be debunked shortly after with independent tests. They sell these drivers to professionals who have the gear to measure them.

Well, you can say the same thing about Scanspeak, Vifa, etc.

But we still independently test things.

Audiocrusader

Well, you can say the same thing about Scanspeak, Vifa, etc.

But we still independently test things.

Show me a Scan-Speak or Vifa datasheet that has all the measurement data the Purifi datasheet has. In fact show me any driver datasheet that does.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Show me a Scan-Speak or Vifa datasheet that has all the measurement data the Purifi datasheet has. In fact show me any driver datasheet that does.

You know what?

You're right.

We should accept everything Purifi has said about their brand new product, taking it all at face value, because it is made by geniuses the likes of which the world has never seen, with no motives other than to bring better sound to all of humanity, with no desire to make their product look good relative to competitors, and who create such flawless, guileless literature that it transcends the term datasheets and should be more rightly compared to the Code of Hammurabi.

I'll buy their prayer rug as soon as they release it.

Last edited:

Audiocrusader

You know what?

You're right.

We should accept everything Purifi has said about their brand new product, taking it all at face value, because it is made by geniuses the likes of which the world has never seen, with no motives other than to bring better sound to all of humanity, with no desire to make their product look good relative to competitors, and who create such flawless, guileless literature that it transcends the term datasheets and should be more rightly compared to the Code of Hammurabi.

I'll buy their prayer rug as soon as they release it.

Why not look up the credentials of every member of the Purifi team and provide some evidence based on historical data that they're so stupid that they would publish data on a datasheet, then a couple months later send drivers off for to Voice Coil for independent measurements. Knowing that the data in the datasheet is a crock of shit. That would be a really smart business plan.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Why not look up the credentials of every member of the Purifi team and provide some evidence based on historical data that they're so stupid that they would publish data on a datasheet, then a couple months later send drivers off for to Voice Coil for independent measurements. Knowing that the data in the datasheet is a crock of shit. That would be a really smart business plan.

Oh, crusader, you have shown me the way with your sword of truth.

All other drivers are garbage and snake-oil!

Audiocrusader

Oh, crusader, you have shown me the way with your sword of truth.

All other drivers are garbage and snake-oil!

Provide evidence that there is a superior 6.5" woofer available then. The design goal the Purifi team had when creating this driver was to make it far better than what's out there. And they succeeded. And that's a good thing, not a bad thing. Anyone who cares about science, innovation and quality should be shouting hallelujah from the mountain tops. Unless their sole purpose on this thread is to troll.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Provide evidence that there is a superior 6.5" woofer available then. The design goal the Purifi team had when creating this driver was to make it far better than what's out there. And they succeeded. And that's a good thing, not a bad thing. Anyone who cares about science, innovation and quality should be shouting hallelujah from the mountain tops. Unless their sole purpose on this thread is to troll.

Hallelujah!

Testify, brother!

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
ASR needs a Golden Fanboy award to be announced on Amir's birthday each year. For particularly obsessive efforts, this could be Purified platinum plated. :facepalm:

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Audiocrusader

It’s really nothing less than spectacular when we compare the flagship from Scan-Speak for years with the Purifi. The Scan-Speak playing at 94 dB ranges from around 0.8-1.2% distortion. The Purifi around 94dB ranges from 0.01-0.1%! Massive difference! But where this gap is really gonna widen is with high SPL IMD tests.

1404D324-98E5-4FE6-8488-8251546F4C31.jpeg
6AC8EE0F-D580-420A-ACD6-36495C8A2945.jpeg

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
It’s really nothing less than spectacular when we compare the flagship from Scan-Speak for years with the Purifi. The Scan-Speak playing at 94 dB ranges from around 0.8-1.2% distortion. The Purifi around 94dB ranges from 0.01-0.1%! Massive difference! But where this gap is really gonna widen is with high SPL IMD tests.

View attachment 38109View attachment 38110

What are the test conditions and methods? Just a question that you would ask?

Reference/s please.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'll let Joni say it:

Wombat

Master Contributor
look at the charts. Read the comprehensive review I shared.

If they provided the information, I wouldn't have asked for it - yes I checked all of your posts. Have you got a few sheep missing from the top paddock?

Yea, Joni.

Last edited:

Audiocrusader

If they provided the information, I wouldn't have asked for it - yes I checked all of your posts. Are you stupid or something?

Yea, Joni.

perhaps you need some glasses. At your age you wouldn’t be able to hear any differences anyways. So not sure why you care, or participate in audio forums at all. Take up crochet or something.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep it civil and constructive please.. thanks .
Audiocrusader, "hold my beer" ...
perhaps you need some glasses. At your age you wouldn’t be able to hear any differences anyways. So not sure why you care, or participate in audio forums at all. Take up crochet or something.
Some people seem to beyond learning simple lessons.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When bad threads happen to good components. It's a shame this thread is so wonky, the product itself looks to be an interesting iterative* improvement on what's out there already, and investigating if it is or not an improvement should be core activities for this forum.

* The idea that something like a dynamic driver is going to be a radical step forward is rather naive, plenty of good engineers have spent time refining these things over time, huge gains are not likely to be found, but good engineers will keep improving them, and deserve respect when they do.

P.S. I'm surprised how disturbed I am by the look of the surround, took me a while to realise it reminds me of some of the google deep dream wrongness.

OP
Killingbeans

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Anyone who cares about science, innovation and quality should be shouting hallelujah from the mountain tops.

No offence, but that's a mind-numbingly self-contradicting sentence. A man of science should not accept anything at face value.

I have no idea why you feel the need to make an enemy out of anyone who disagrees with you. It's juvenile and completely counterproductive :rolleyes:

I've tried to poke you gently with a stick of common decency/sense several times in this thread, but every time you just seem to pretend it didn't happen.

Haven't got a single person on my ignore list yet, but you are awfully close at becoming my first... just saying (not that you probably care).

EDIT: Hereby on my ignore list....

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
When bad threads happen to good components. It's a shame this thread is so wonky, the product itself looks to be an interesting iterative* improvement on what's out there already, and investigating if it is or not an improvement should be core activities for this forum.

* The idea that something like a dynamic driver is going to be a radical step forward is rather naive, plenty of good engineers have spent time refining these things over time, huge gains are not likely to be found, but good engineers will keep improving them, and deserve respect when they do.

P.S. I'm surprised how disturbed I am by the look of the surround, took me a while to realise it reminds me of some of the google deep dream wrongness.

Not to mention that drivers don't exist in isolation, performance and distortion is impacted by implementation, etc.

I've built 3 speakers completely from scratch in my life. It was enough of an experience to teach me that it's not as simple as buying the best possible drivers and putting them in the box that the software model predicts, with the crossover the spec sheet and software model.

In addition, the psychoacoustic evidence as to the importance of distortion on musical content is all over the map, with numbers higher than one might think due to masking (as Toole mentions), so obsessing on distortion above all else (hey, why not go horns!) is not exactly evidence-driven.

Last edited:
Top Bottom