• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi/Hypex/Ghent Build Concerns (Newbie Questions)

concorde1

I'm new to DIY. I'm considering getting Ghent Audio Chassis for EVAL1, and Harness, Purifi EVAL1 kit, Hypex SMPS1200A400. There are rough instructions on how to assemble these parts in a PDF that I just found online. There is a competent electronics engineer I know who can help me with assembly and safety, although the engineer is not familiar with exactly how Class D amplifiers function, so isn't confident with the idea of working with these components.

1. Are the said power supply and amp kit definitely compatible with each other?

2. Have there been any faults reported when people have built DIY using this combination of parts?

3. Do the parts have any safety certifications, or do you only get that if you buy a completed amp from a manufacturer?

4. Do the parts come with in depth manuals in English?

5. Are those 4 "parts" (Chassis, Harness, Module Kit, Power Supply) the only things needed other than tools?

6. What are solder point speaker outputs? Does that mean I can solder wires between them and the SpeakOn outputs in the Ghent chassis?

7. Is this better value than getting a manufactured amp (not necessarily Hypex/Purifi)?

8. Why should I trust these products/companies?

I'm concerned about safety during build and during operation. Also what I would do if there were a fault straight away, or after say 5 years. It seems a bit risky, and this stuff is expensive!

seadogbiscuit

Forum Donor
I have just completed putting this combination together. The parts seem like they're made for each other, because they are. The wiring kit from Ghent has everything you need. The holes in the bottom of the case line up perfectly. I didn't get a manual with any of the parts. It's all online.
The PDF has 2 missing steps but it's easy to figure that out yourself. You can trust all the companies involved.
Go for it! You'll be glad you did.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
concorde1

concorde1

On the Hypex SMPS1200A400 datasheet, it says "13.This product is to be used with Hypex amplifier modules only"
Says "This is a Safety Class 2 device"
And complies with EC 62368-1:2014 + A11:2017 and IEC 60065:2014 + A11:2017

Purifi EVAL1 datasheet says "It is the responsibility of the system integrator to ensure any form of design-for-compliance and associated testing/certification which may be required."

Are there any ways to get close to Benchmark AHB2 performance other than Hypex or Purifi? Are any "big" manufacturers using any of their modules?

Last edited:
OP
concorde1

concorde1

Is there any performance I wouldn't be getting by doing this DIY instead of a NAD say? Or is it just industrial design and maybe cooling?

I wonder if this DIY kit would benefit from cooling.

Also trying to decide between Purifi/Hypex/Ghent, or the standalone Hypex NC400 DIY mono kits.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can tell you that I bought the SMPS from Hypex, a case and wiring from Ghent and the Eval 1 from Purifi almost a year ago, and I still can't get it to work. I thinks I have a defective SMPS. I've sent that unit back to Hypex twice (actually three times, for some reason NY US customs refused to ship it to the Netherlands b/c they said it was a "dangerous" device), and they supposedly repaired the aux circuits (which are not protected with circuit breakers), and it still won't hold a constant voltage. Instead its voltage drops off the second current is applied to it. Ultimately. I think I will be buying a second SMPS.

Anyway, my advice is to buy a completed, assembled amp from VTV which sells for (believe it or not) less than the component parts if you buy them separately and assemble them yourself. I'd also advise buying the original Eigentact amp, rather than one with so called "improved ICs". It's cheaper. and every test Amir does indicates that the Nord Purifi which use the "superior" op amps don't perform as well as the original stock amp.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd prefer to either DIY or buy from a long-standing manufacturer like Benchmark.

It's odd that these components are well regarded and yet you seemingly received a defective one. This makes me suspicious of the companies.

Maybe I'll just save and get a Benchmark AHB2. :(
I'll second considering the VTV Eval 1 Purifi amp. I have one and it is as advertised. Been flawless since I hooked it up.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

I'm not fond of the aesthetics of the assembled Purifi/Hypex amps, but I do like the look of the DIY Ghent case. I think the Benchmark just costs too much for me, so I might take the risk on DIY EVAL1 as in OP.

One thing I'm unsure of with the Ghent build is, how do I connect EVAL1 to the SpeakOn outputs in the Ghent chassis?

Also, is Ghent the only company that makes a suitable chassis for this project?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not fond of the aesthetics of the assembled Purifi/Hypex amps
There are several vendors with more premium cases: Apollon, boXem, Nord, March. I agree the cheapest ones are too cheap looking, I would also spend some more for better parts and overall pride of ownership.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are several vendors with more premium cases: Apollon, boXem, Nord, March. I agree the cheapest ones are too cheap looking, I would also spend some more for better parts and overall pride of ownership.
Out of curiosity what parts would need changing?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity what parts would need changing?
Depends on each vendor, but nicer chassis, binding posts, inner cables, sometimes build organization, and some of them offer fancier opamps and/or voltage regulators for those willing to buy.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ithink the V
Depends on each vendor, but nicer chassis, binding posts, inner cables, sometimes build organization, and some of them offer fancier opamps and/or voltage regulators for those willing to buy.
I think the VTV build is competent if not pleasing to look at but internally looks fine and mine has SpeakOns and banana plugs as well as a 12V trigger. I have nothing to complain about for right at $1000.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure. But take boXem for example, all the little things like auxiliary power supply for soft turn on/off, variable gain, cables sleeved and tied, fancier binding posts, let alone the fancier looking chassis. Apollon Mini is similar.

There are customers willing to pay more and get these details. Nothing wrong with choosing a more premium build or saving some money, to each his/her own.

https://boxem-audio.eu/en/stereo-am...-4215e2.html#/2-faceplate_color-oxidized_grey

arthur-4215e2.jpg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure. But take boXem for example, all the little things like auxiliary power supply for soft turn on/off, variable gain, cables sleeved and tied, fancier binding posts, let alone the fancier looking chassis. Apollon Mini is similar.

There are customers willing to pay more and get these details. Nothing wrong with choosing a more premium build or saving some money, to each his/her own.

https://boxem-audio.eu/en/stereo-am...-4215e2.html#/2-faceplate_color-oxidized_grey

arthur-4215e2.jpg
Absolutely, if one is willing to pay for that.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see where anyone has documented that utilizing something like a Sparkos opamp in the buffer stage improve the performance. Quite the contrary, it actually seems to detract with lower SINADS. If you want to improve the performance over the original design, then using Speakons may bump SINAD up a couple of db, and bypassing the input stage may take you up another 4 db, at which point you have something that performs as well as the AHB2 and outputs almost twice the wattage.

Last edited:

nimar

Forum Donor
I'll second considering the VTV Eval 1 Purifi amp. I have one and it is as advertised. Been flawless since I hooked it up.

I'll third that. I built one myself and bought one from VTV. And because I wanted them to match I bought a plain faceplate from Ghent for $35 (including shipping). Due to the magic of OEM pricing the VTV was 20% cheaper than building it yourself.

Top Bottom