• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PURIFI finally did a fully purified passive speaker design! The SPK 16 prototype is here - with a PTT tweeter

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Is phase plug /coherer really necessary? ・・・・

Yes it is. It is what guarantees the unbelievable dispersion up to 20khz. It is not only regular, but also extraordinarily wide. Wider than the examples you cited. Do not look at the colours but at what they mean. You get the -6db at 90° from the normal with the Purifi tweeter.

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Did you read the paper?

Savi

Do not look at the colours but at what they mean. You get the -6db at 90° from the normal with the Purifi tweeter.
Between 70° and 75° but not 90°. That is still very impressive. Mabat and fluid simulation in DIYaudio are also promising (around 60° to 65°) but need to be confirmed empirically (which have already been done with other simulations from mabat so I am confident)

Last edited:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Between 70° and 75° but not 90°.

At exactly 20Khz it is about 80° if not slightly more, but we are splitting hair here!

That is still very impressive. Mabat and fluid simulation in DIYaudio are also promising (around 60° to 65°) but need to be confirmed empirically (which have already been done with other simulations from mabat so I am confident)

In fact I suggested to Claus and Bruno to try also with a more “elliptic” waveguide, to increase a bit more the horizontal dispersion and reduce the vertical one - this would make it fit better in normal rooms. They found the suggestion interesting.

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Depends if this wide and even enough :)

Normalised to 10 degrees off axis so not quite the same as Purifi’s conditions. Black line is the -6dB beam width. Coloured polar maps are not that easy to read values off directly.

1684720079188.png

It is a simulation not a measurement but I see no reason to think reality would be much different.

I haven’t tried to make this elliptic yet to see the result, but the conditions that make for wide even high frequency directivity run counter to the steeper vertical wall angle an elliptic profile will create.

changer

In fact I suggested to Claus and Bruno to try also with a more “elliptic” waveguide, to increase a bit more the horizontal dispersion and reduce the vertical one - this would make it fit better in normal rooms. They found the suggestion interesting.

Lars mentioned that he had for now opted for an axisymmetric device due to its simplicity, for the demonstrator, but would be looking into elliptical geometries in the future.

Those offer more freedom with baffle placement and hence sound power optimization, and can be used to tweak the tilt of the combined DI, when a horizontal constant and a vertical pseudo-exponential profile are combined.

Re VHF dispersion, the simulation results without a phase plug look very encouraging. The 130 degree horizontal pattern (65 degree) of the Jbl M2 is commonly describe to present a big image. This is reached already in the simulation results. Also, the phase plug that Purifi relies on for an even wider top octave creates a very strong loading of the top octave. This might lead to rising frequency response of the LW angles.

fluid

I tested a simple elliptic version of the above, the horizontal was made slightly worse and the vertical was a bit of a mess. Perhaps with more time and effort something better could be found, the goal seeking ability of COMSOL would certainly help speed that up.

changer

The other downside of the elliptical device is that in comparison with a rectangular, approximately 2-profile device, only a few of the horizontal angles actually establish the target dispersion. We still need to learn more, if the constant change of the profile in an elliptical device is as important as i. e. having more angles provide a desired horizontal dispersion, and if a constant change is at all required. Obviously, JBL went down the rectangular way, while Genelec and Neumann, just to name the most prominent producers, the elliptical.

IamJF

Don't forget "augerpro" - he provides fantastic designs, also elliptical: https://www.somasonus.net/waveguides

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Lars mentioned that he had for now opted for an axisymmetric device due to its simplicity, for the demonstrator, but would be looking into elliptical geometries in the future.

Those offer more freedom with baffle placement and hence sound power optimization, and can be used to tweak the tilt of the combined DI, when a horizontal constant and a vertical pseudo-exponential profile are combined.

Re VHF dispersion, the simulation results without a phase plug look very encouraging. The 130 degree horizontal pattern (65 degree) of the Jbl M2 is commonly describe to present a big image. This is reached already in the simulation results. Also, the phase plug that Purifi relies on for an even wider top octave creates a very strong loading of the top octave. This might lead to rising frequency response of the LW angles.

Well, you notice that I put the word elliptical in quotation marks. I meant both elliptical and 2 profile, actually, as alternatives, and mentioned both to them. In my hand-wavy report on my conversation I just used out to describe anything flatter than a disc, and a flattened disc is an ellipse. Of course I cannot expect people to read my mind if I do not write what exactly I am thinking, so my bad.

Waxx

Major Contributor
Lars Risbo (One of the owners of Purifi) said on FB (diy loudspeaker pad group) that this is a prototype, and any release would be at least after Q4 of this year. He did not say if the speaker itself would be released, but the tweeter should be arround at the end of the year.

Da cynics

He commented

fluid

The shape and dimensions of the dome and surround are critical to whether a particular dome tweeter will work well in different types of waveguides. This will also determine if any kind of wavefront modification is needed to reach a certain type of directivity. The height of the Bliesma T34A is part of what allows it to have super wide high frequency directivity in the right waveguide without any 'coherer' or similar device to spread the high frequencies. It is this same feature that causes it to perform worse in an elliptical or any other waveguide with a narrower wall angle.

Some tweeters like the SB26 for example work well in a wide range of waveguide profiles but if you want that top octave wide it will need some help.

Purifi have been quite open with information so when they release the tweeter there is a good chance other waveguides can be simulated to see the effect.

Leif

@IamJF @DanielT

Got me thinking about Ole Lund Christensen's cast iron JERN speakers:
Screenshot-2020-01-31-at-12.36.41_result.jpg
rev_2020jun_image-hifi_12ws.jpg

Has anyone measured these? Any user impressions here? I auditioned a pair of Jern 11s in a shop’s listening room and they seemed to lack bass. They were gorgeous, the surface texture is lovely, and very heavy. I do wonder if my sound impressions were mistaken, my hearing can be thrown by my mood and state of mind, not to mention the room acoustics.

alex-z

The concept of inverting a dome tweeter to measure interior cabinet pressure is such an obvious thing in hindsight, I will certainly be using that little trick in future DIY work. Thanks Purifi.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The concept of inverting a dome tweeter to measure interior cabinet pressure is such an obvious thing in hindsight, I will certainly be using that little trick in future DIY work. Thanks Purifi.
I thanked them too and they told me to thank Thiele & Small :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I missed that, can you link where it was explained? Thanks.

Top Bottom