• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PURIFI finally did a fully purified passive speaker design! The SPK 16 prototype is here - with a PTT tweeter

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Finally someone who takes edge diffraction serious! :D
So manny speakers have sharp edges (like these great new KEFs - the best Coaxes with Genelec Ones) - it simply makes no sense ...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally someone who takes edge diffraction serious! :D
So manny speakers have sharp edges (like these great new KEFs - the best Coaxes with Genelec Ones) - it simply makes no sense ...
Where are those sharp edges you complain?

IMG_3993.jpeg

Mario Sanchez

Since the 8th generation of the KEF Uni-Q this is achieved on the upper treble with its tangerine waveguide.
I would also like to add that KEF has a much larger part around the tweeter built as a fixed "cup" rather than part of midrange diaphragm compared to usual coaxial designs, which may have helped alleviate the on-axis scrap we see so much on co-ax drivers. They probably patented this as a part of the tangerine waveguide though.
We might be getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, but if purifi were to make a co-ax I think they may need to use a non-ribbed surround on the diaphragm for, well, maintaining a smooth profile for the waveguide, and that could have some less-than-optimal performance implications on the mid driver, so there'll definitely be more challenges along the way than singular driver(s).

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read that as a separate product being announced.

They have been teasing this tweeter for a long time now. Good to see something tangible finally!

8bits

Nice to see March Audio being the partner building the prototype and working directly with Purifi on this!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay I'm impressed by the drivers and design and all but also a bit skeptical about super low directivity/high dispersion all the way to 20k Hz. Now the in room response will be flat, if not enough absorbing surface is used in the room, instead of downward sloping. According to Harman findings in blind test listeners vote such speakers as too bright and have lower preference vs downward sloping.

IMO the only real effect of wide top octave dispersion is expansion of the sweet spot. Reflections aren't really an issue due to air absorption and head shadowing. But the direct sound is more consistent across a wider area, hence the wider sweet spot.

Can you point me to that Harman research? After all, some of their most popular monitors (JBL 7-series) have wide and constant dispersion through the top octave. They do poorly on the "preference score" as a result, but Harman obviously released them anyway.

This tweeter looks really impressive. Honestly it's the first since the aforementioned JBL 7-series driver/horn that has my attention as a real potential advance of the art.

Reactions: 617

Sokel

Master Contributor
IMO the only real effect of wide top octave dispersion is expansion of the sweet spot. Reflections aren't really an issue due to air absorption and head shadowing. But the direct sound is more consistent across a wider area, hence the wider sweet spot.

Can you point me to that Harman research? After all, some of their most popular monitors (JBL 7-series) have wide and constant dispersion through the top octave. They do poorly on the "preference score" as a result, but Harman obviously released them anyway.

This tweeter looks really impressive. Honestly it's the first since the aforementioned JBL 7-series driver/horn that has my attention as a real potential advance of the art.
About the downward sloping, what we see in that preference Harman curves is not a target but a result as Dr Toole repeats again and again.
And makes sense,only the air absorbent over distance is enough to justify that result.
It's wrong to deliberately aim for that as a target.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
March Audio have a new speaker, too. It appears to use the same mid-woofer as this SPK16, but the tweeter from the Sointuva. March speaker cabinet radii are smaller than those on the SPK16, but there is some resemblance.

Penelinfi

March Audio have a new speaker, too. It appears to use the same mid-woofer as this SPK16, but the tweeter from the Sointuva. March speaker cabinet radii are smaller than those on the SPK16, but there is some resemblance.
The Ukkonen looks like it uses an 8 inch Purifi woofer.
The SPk16 uses the 6.5 inch woofer; also mentioned multiple times in the article.
I think that tweeter waveguide may be smaller on diameter than the SB Acoustics one

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since the 8th generation of the KEF Uni-Q this is achieved on the upper treble with its tangerine waveguide.
Right, forgot about that one, however surely its not that easy to copy

Top Bottom