• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi EVAL1 / Pregain, enable or disable?

beren777

My assumption is that the answer is "it won't matter, you aren't going to hear a difference either way" but is it best to leave the pregain enabled or disabled on the EVAL1? I can reach acceptable volume levels in either configuration, but even after reading through Amir's reviews I am unclear whether there is any real gain (sorry) to disabling it for the average "look I can assemble a Ghent case" DIYer such as myself.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Without the pre-gain stage, you will need a signal source that can output a little over 9 Vrms to drive the Purifi 1ET400A to full output.

Your source will also need to be OK with driving a 2.2 kΩ (single ended) or 4.4 kΩ (balanced) load. My guess is that most pre-amps or DACs would be fine with this.

zappa

Just FYI, If you bypass the buffer, PURIFI recommend to use the balanced signal.

OP
B

beren777

Just FYI, If you bypass the buffer, PURIFI recommend to use the balanced signal.

Is there any risk of damage if unbalanced is used, or is it purely a performance/quality issue?

zappa

I don't know if there are any risks of damage, but you would need a quite high signal to clip the amp, more than 14 Vrms (Purifi said).
JimB said : With 8V (rms) output, you'll be slightly short of full output power into 8 ohms. To get full rated output, you'd want at least 9V capability.

nimar

Forum Donor
I don't know if there are any risks of damage, but you would need a quite high signal to clip the amp, more than 14 Vrms (Purifi said).
JimB said : With 8V (rms) output, you'll be slightly short of full output power into 8 ohms. To get full rated output, you'd want at least 9V capability.
Is that 14Vrms value with the gain disabled. Do you know the figure with the gain stage? I know Amir said it reached full at 1.5V

Top Bottom