• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi EVAL input - SE vs XLR balanced

nstzya

So I have a Purifi EVAL based unit which has XLR only input and utilizing a Speakon to banana adapter output. I have a single ended streamer/DAC source. I have a SE to XLR adapter cable and a Schiit Magnius line level headphone amp with preamp function that accepts SE input and converts to balanced and outputs a balanced XLR output. There is a very discernible difference when I choose to interpose the Magnius. Why should this be? The SE to XLR is a Stage Right Monoprice. Is the Magnius doing something to supplement/subsidize the Hypex buffer section on the EVAL unit?

OP
N

nstzya

Not much interest/response. I’m going to attribute it to level matching differences. The Magnius input is prob higher/louder so sounds “better”.

yodog

If the magnus has a built in conversion process then it will sound louder becsuse it’s legit converting it from se to balanced. If you’re just using an adapter that doesn’t convert it it just adapts it so they can at least play. I don’t think it gets the additional benefit of increased voltage like with true se to differential buffering/conversion

Jukka

Any components in the signal path are going add distortion and noise. Schiit is not in reputation to any good to the signal. The easiest way to hook up SE --> balanced is with a properly connected adapter cable. Hypex has good instructions on one white paper on their website. It's easy to DIY, but if you decide to buy, double check the wiring as per Hypex instructions.

Trevor

So I have a Purifi EVAL based unit which has XLR only input and utilizing a Speakon to banana adapter output. I have a single ended streamer/DAC source. I have a SE to XLR adapter cable and a Schiit Magnius line level headphone amp with preamp function that accepts SE input and converts to balanced and outputs a balanced XLR output. There is a very discernible difference when I choose to interpose the Magnius. Why should this be? The SE to XLR is a Stage Right Monoprice. Is the Magnius doing something to supplement/subsidize the Hypex buffer section on the EVAL unit?

Hello. Did you find the difference better or worse (with the Magnius instead of adaptor)?
Thank you.

OP
N

nstzya

I found the Magnius alternative to “sound” better. But as I wrote in followup, I believe it was most likely due to differences in matching levels - I had no sound meter or anything - and likely had the Magnius set a little louder. Louder (almost) always sounds “better”. I would agree that unless the circumstances warranted a line level boost, the proper SE to Balanced cable adapter should (would) give the best result.

Top Bottom