• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi Amps - Top Choice or No?

Megaken

Comparable in noise and distortion, but NCx500 has a lot more power if you have floorstanding speakers and listen to bass heavy music etc.

BTW in the US Buckeye amps has better inner build than VTV.
I don't like their boxes.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
I'm looking at 1ET400A vs Eigentakt EVAL1. With default baseline components.

They're about the same price but I'm not sure which to pick. What are the differences, and/or which would you pick? Budget is ~$1k

View attachment 284231View attachment 284230
The difference is the Eigentact model is based on the Purifi Amir reviewed a few years back and it had very superior measurements using the stock buffer boards Purifi supplied. Since that time, a number of DIY assemblers (which is what VTV, Appolon, Buckeye, Nord, etc are) began to offer their own versions of the amps with different buffer boards and IC's which they sometimes claimed altered the sound favorably (made it more "melow", etc). What has been found in almost all of Amir's subsequent reviews of their products, is that their adaptations of the original Eigentact yielded at least slightly degraded performance numbers while adding a price premium.

I've actually assembled a purifi from parts using the original items Amir had for his initial Eigentact test unit, and I'm very happy with the performance, so i would recommend staying with the stock Eigentact configuration which is offered by a number of these assemblers like Boxem, Buckeye, VTV along with the all important warranty of merchantability.

Whether any of this is audible is of course another question, but why pay more for something which has lower measured performance numbers?

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like their boxes.
If you are willing to import, here are alternatives with even nicer chassis.

Megaken

If you are willing to import, here are alternatives with even nicer chassis.

But they're more expensive.
I like the VTV design + price.
Just wanted to decide between NCx500 vs Eigentakt vs 1ET400A.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
oh. Then what is the difference between the 2?
1ET400A vs Eigentakt EVAL1
The input buffer for the EVAL1 is Purifi stock one with the 1ET400A.

The 1ET400A is the amp module and usually has a custom buffer…

So, what is the front end and what speakers will you use?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For clarification Eigantakt is the 1ET400A
I thought it was the technology name?

Like:

Company: Hypex x Purifi
Technology: NCore x Eigentakt
Module name: NC500 x 1ET400A
Buffer board: NC500 Evaluation board x EVAL1/EVAL2

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Like:

This looks right up to the last line as mentioned above.

EVALx is Purifi’s combined buffer and amp offering.

Megaken

I heard the new NCx500 is better than Purifi's equivalents. Is it?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends (slightly) on your system…

That is why I asked about your other components. Help to know your room size and how close you listen too.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
It wont make any difference in the real world. Only thing that might matter is power, but that is also so close.

Megaken

It depends (slightly) on your system…

That is why I asked about your other components. Help to know how your room size and how close you listen too.
oh sure - it's a small to medium size room, with a minidsp flex as a preamp, and elac reference unifi speakers and a budget rel sub
But I would also like to understand your analysis process.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

Like:

It is. I was just clarifying in this instance they are both the same amp (both use the 1ET400A).

I’ve actually seen/received a few emails lately asking about Eigantakt like it is a brand new/different module. So just keeping it simple for people reading.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It is “better” if you have speakers that need the extra power and current (amperage).
But in terms of audible sound difference or quality, they are pretty much identical.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
oh sure - it's a small to medium size room, with a minidsp flex as a preamp, and elac reference unifi speakers and a budget rel sub
But I would also like to understand your analysis process.

On the input side of the amp, it may be worthwhile to consider what gain level is appropriate. It can be better to match a higher gain source with a lower gain amplifier as better noise performance can be achieved. Another benefit of this match is that you may be able to set the source output high and not threaten your max power of your speakers (and possibly your hearing if the volume accidentally get set too high). The amp gain is usually set within the amp’s buffer and so you can find amps that offer only one gain setting. The EVAL1 and the NCx500 have 2 gain settings. Custom buffers may differ. Buckeye offers 3 gain levels.

On the output side, the sensitivity of the speakers and room factors can determine what is the best fit for you.

With your current setup, you are good to go with any of your choices. The NCx500 is a bit more power and the Purifi 1ET400A is slightly lower noise. The additional power may be helpful for speakers that are less sensitive (closer to 80 dB vs 90 dB sensitivity). This matters less if your room is small or your listen to them with a meter or two.

Tried to keep this simple. Hope it helps!

Megaken

On the input side of the amp, it may be worthwhile to consider what gain level is appropriate. It can be better to match a higher gain source with a lower gain amplifier as better noise performance can be achieved. Another benefit of this match is that you may be able to set the source output high and not threaten your max power of your speakers (and possibly your hearing if the volume accidentally get set too high). The amp gain is usually set within the amp’s buffer and so you can find amps that offer only one gain setting. The EVAL1 and the NCx500 have 2 gain settings. Custom buffers may differ. Buckeye offers 3 gain levels.

On the output side, the sensitivity of the speakers and room factors can determine what is the best fit for you.

With your current setup, you are good to go with any of your choices. The NCx500 is a bit more power and the Purifi 1ET400A is slightly lower noise. The additional power may be helpful for speakers that are less sensitive (closer to 80 dB vs 90 dB sensitivity). This matters less if your room is small or your listen to them with a meter or two.

Tried to keep this simple. Hope it helps!
Excellent. Thank you for your time sir

subframe

It is “better” if you have speakers that need the extra power and current (amperage).
But in terms of audible sound difference or quality, they are pretty much identical.
When looking at speaker performance, what is the threshold impedance that suggests a speaker does indeed need higher current? For example would it be a minimum impedance below 8 or 4, or does it depend on frequency vs impedance, etc.

Top Bottom