• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi Amps - Top Choice or No?

ethanhallbeyer

Are the current Purifi based stereo amps and monoblocks considered the best in terms of measurements, power, heat, weight, sound and cost/value vs class A and AB models like Bryston and the like?

For example, 2 x Bryston 7b3 monoblocks are about $16k, weigh a ton and generate a lot more heat, with larger footprint.

Purifi amps like those from Apollon, BoXem, NAD, March and others cost just a fraction of that, even for monoblocks. They have the power, current and damping factor to drive and control even demanding speakers, run a lot cooler, have a smaller footprint, are lighter, etc.

So, I am wondering the following:
1. Is class D basically now good enough to make good, pricier, class A and AB stuff less relevant in 2023?

2. If Purifi is still popular and considered the way to go, which maker is currently considered the best right now from a build quality, reliability, parts and power supply quality, and engineering perspective?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I think it depends on what you want. The Benchmark AHB2 is still be the best over-all power amplifier, if the 100W into 8ohms is good enough for you.

If you want more power than that, then yes I think you might either buy Hypex of Purifi-based ClassD amps. Also if multichannel is important to you the ClassD amps will deliver a lot more channels/$ than other solutions.

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Answer to #1, most of us here would say, yes. Purifi, and at a lower cost, Hypex. If starting out today and needing higher power levels, I think definitely the way to go.

As to #2 - it kinda varies depending on where you are geographically located. There are higher priced-builds and value-forward builds. I don't own, but definitely have my eye on, a Buckeye amp build in the future, no-frills, but well built and great customer service. They are here in the U.S. Different good choices in Europe.

And yeah, if you have the $$ to spend, Benchmark. Out of my price range, but wonderful.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
1681665156638.png

If you look here, the AHB2 is still above the rest. But the other choices are nothing to scoff at depending on your requirements.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If your goal is sound rather than bench testing, then yes, A or AB is a historical choice which will provide nothing in the way of better sound but definitely be less efficient, bulkier, and more expensive. In 2023, Class D is a clear winner, and power, price and features will be the drivers of choice between excellent products like Hypex, Purifi, Orchard, and the like.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@digitalfrost are the new high power class D models available? Are they really improved from the usual offerings? Are they good for 2 Ohms impedance?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I am aware of the stuff that has been on offer for years but I am interested in the new gear that I guess is still coming sometime? I read that they improved the clamping of the FETs and other high current devices if any and that they are even better for 2 Ohms stable operation?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the current Purifi based stereo amps and monoblocks considered the best in terms of measurements, power, heat, weight, sound and cost/value vs class A and AB models like Bryston and the like?

For example, 2 x Bryston 7b3 monoblocks are about $16k, weigh a ton and generate a lot more heat, with larger footprint.

Purifi amps like those from Apollon, BoXem, NAD, March and others cost just a fraction of that, even for monoblocks. They have the power, current and damping factor to drive and control even demanding speakers, run a lot cooler, have a smaller footprint, are lighter, etc.

So, I am wondering the following:
1. Is class D basically now good enough to make good, pricier, class A and AB stuff less relevant in 2023?

2. If Purifi is still popular and considered the way to go, which maker is currently considered the best right now from a build quality, reliability, parts and power supply quality, and engineering perspective?
This is end game.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I am aware of the stuff that has been on offer for years but I am interested in the new gear that I guess is still coming sometime? I read that they improved the clamping of the FETs and other high current devices if any and that they are even better for 2 Ohms stable operation?
Both the new Hypex Nilai (for DIYer's) and NCx500 are rated for 1 ohms loads. The Purifi 1ET400A and 1ET7040SA are rated for 2 ohms but spec sheets said they'd run stably at <2 ohm loads.

nilai.png

ncx500.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is end game.

WoW. Nice... Buckeye Amps has a single Purifi 1ET7040SA Monoblock Amplifier available for $950 including case and the following features:
- Low, Med, High Gain settings
- Clipping Indication (via Front Power LED)*
- Error Indication (via Front Power LED)*
- Muted Soft-start/shutdown (minimizes speaker “pop” when turning on and off)
- Auto Sensing On/Off
- 12v trigger On/Off

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Both the new Hypex Nilai (for DIYer's) and NCx500 are rated for 1 ohms loads. The Purifi 1ET400A and 1ET7040SA are rated for 2 ohms but spec sheets said they'd run stably at <2 ohm loads.

View attachment 279687

View attachment 279688
Nice. They've really made a low impedance drive unit. Some killer output power there for sure. So basically 4 capable models spread over the number of output channels and that's going to be the selection for Class D power amps. Easy to know. Thanks for the pdf. :D

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If your goal is sound rather than bench testing, then yes, A or AB is a historical choice which will provide nothing in the way of better sound but definitely be less efficient, bulkier, and more expensive. In 2023, Class D is a clear winner, and power, price and features will be the drivers of choice between excellent products like Hypex, Purifi, Orchard, and the like.
Hang on, in another thread I was told that the Macintosh something or other was the best available and at £13.5k was ‘reasonable’!
Keith

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hang on, in another thread I was told that the Macintosh something or other was the best available and at £13.5k was ‘reasonable’!
Keith
It has its virtues. :cool: But better or even different sound won't be one of them for 99.999% of the world.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Keith
Sadly, that's not real expensive for an amp if it's "high end". If it actually works well, that's a bonus!

Hatto

View attachment 279671

If you look here, the AHB2 is still above the rest. But the other choices are nothing to scoff at depending on your requirements.
WHAT?!

What sorcery is this? It's been here all along? Through which link(s) do we even bring this screen? Why isn't this more accessible?

I hope this would be updated with equipment reviewed after October 2021. @amirm, if you need help updating the database (judging by the powerBI interface it should be an Excel file that can be shared without login credentials for updates), I volunteer as tribute!

OP
E

ethanhallbeyer

WoW. Nice... Buckeye Amps has a single Purifi 1ET7040SA Monoblock Amplifier available for $950 including case and the following features:
- Low, Med, High Gain settings
- Clipping Indication (via Front Power LED)*
- Error Indication (via Front Power LED)*
- Muted Soft-start/shutdown (minimizes speaker “pop” when turning on and off)
- Auto Sensing On/Off
- 12v trigger On/Off
This looks impressive and price us relatively good. Anyone attest to its quality, reliability, fit/finish and technical soundness?

Also why is March Audio's much more price wise? Longer warranty?

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I certainly can’t answer why another OEM charges what they do for the same exact performance other than noting their cases look better
You should definitely offer the option of a higher end chassis imo.

Top Bottom