• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi Amplifier and Preamp / Dac / Streamer recommendations

DF!

I am thinking of upgrading my current amplifier, Nad M22, and have potentially narrowed it down to three options:

1. VTV Purifi 1ET400;
2. Nad C298;
3. Nad M33 (integrated);

Other background info: 99% of my music is Tidal streaming although I think I may demo another service such as Amazon high res after reading about the negatives of MQA and poor technical support of TIDAL. My current preamp, streamer, dac combo is a Nad M12.

If I were to upgrade that I would want to look at a dac/preamp that has Dirac capability or I would probably just keep my M12. I would not be opposed to separating these functions as well. After reading the audio science review on C658, it does not seem to get a very glowing review although for me on paper would check all the boxes: DAC, streamer, preamp and Dirac capabilities and hence my thinking to purchase the M33 instead; albeit its the most likely the most expensive.

I would like to hear other members thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you

Current Setup:
Speakers: Focal Kanta 2
Amplifier: Nad M22
Pre-Amp & Dac & Streamer: Nad M12

Last edited:
OP
D

DF!

The minidsp is on the list to research although the online companies with no technical support take more time and research to get comfortable before purchasing. The Okto research doesn't appear to do Dirac room correction although I read about it about it. What is the difference between the SHD and SHD-studio?

zorak950

The Studio is all digital- no analog in or out and no DAC, just DEQ/Dirac tools. Good option if you've already got a DAC/preamp you're happy with, otherwise I'd say the SHD is a better value unless you're determined to have separate components.

OP
D

DF!

The budget does permit it and the all in one box, customer support and design are appealing to me where as buying a VT brand & Mini DSP has more risk and C658 seems to be a failure per the review here so I would still need a preamp. It is time consuming to review products. I have heard its quite good M33 but then so are the other 2 pieces as well per several sources and reviews .....hence my post!

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On a budget I would get the MiniDSP SHD and a purifi amp like you mentioned. That would be about half the price of the M33. If I could, though, I would pay more for the nicer UI, touchscreen, and all-in-one convenience. That’s just me.

OP
D

DF!

What I find interesting is if I strictly read the reviews here and purchased accordingly, I should be able to build a system that is superior to the NAD M33 on paper although I have not heard any feedback on the mini dsp or the purifi amp or any other solutions.

Being a current NAD user and very early adopter of Blueos cards in other NAD amps I own, I do like its streamlined nature and ease of use remotely via Apps from your phones, tablets or computers so I guess people are willing to give up performance and spend more money for convenience. In addition, resolving issues with smaller unproven companies can be hit or miss on their technical and warranty support as well as I lived this first hand.

My other concern with the NAD M33 and C298 is I have been told the power supplies are different and inferior built with low cost parts compared the Hypex Power Supplies that have been used in some of the other Purifi Amps floating around such as the VTV and previous generation NAD amps such as the M22 and M27. I also wondering what input buffer are used as well as some reviews preferred the hypex buffers to the NAD C298.

Harryharryharry

I recently sold my nad c368 with blue OS for the minidsp SHD and Audiophonics hypex NC 252 amp (~£1400 total).

I was looking at the nad c658 for a while but I couldn't find any improvement specs compared to the 368, even emailed nad who just said it had a better dac... The bluos app was pretty good but I much preferred using Tidal connect.

The improvement to MiniDSP was night and day, the SHD + high quality amp like hypex/purifi is phenomenal sounding. Absolutely love it.

However... The volumio app is pretty crap. But... Tidal connect integration for volumio is coming in Q2 which I'm hoping bypasses the need to touch Volumio entirely. This works not with Spotify connect (but lacks lossless audio though this is on the way too). You can also achieve this using Roon I believe but you need to pay the licence. I may test this until Tidal connect arrives.

Setup of the minidsp is a little fiddly but doesn't take that long to update the plugins then it's done. Mini DSP support are great and very responsive and make new releases to the firmware regularly. The minidsp forum is good too.

In summary, you can get as good or better performance than the M33 for half the price but with lower ease and user experience. However you can bypass the worst UX.

kokoon

Forum Donor
Another vote for SHD + NC252, I have the same setup since a few weeks and I'm really happy. I can't wait for the full roon certification on SHD, I'm using a chromecast audio hooked up via toslink for it until then. Well, I'll still be using that after, since the SHD isn't a chromecast target - which is probably another upside of going full-integrated, most units have that built in.

Staki

Forum Donor
SHD + NC252 gets my vote too, I have the combo since January and could not be happier. Roon certification is a bit of an issue atm, but I was lucky enough to be one of the last customers to receive the older neo2 hardware so I don't have any particular probems with Volumio Roon plugin. neo3 folks who want Roon currently have to resort to a workaround like installing a rpi with roon bridge or chromecast audio as @kokoon described.

Certainly Purifi amp looks better on paper than NC252, but I doubt that in my setup this has any practical significance. I have 2 moderately efficient bookshelf speakers (87 db) + subwoofer and I live in an appartment, so I hardly ever listen at high SPL. Dirac correction was a real gamechanger for me. I was previously trying to correct frequency response and phase with REW and RePhase using DSP in Roon, but (a) phase correction is very complex this way, I could never quite get it right and (b) all my other sources (analog, TV) do not benefit from Roon DSP.

JonfromCB

I'm looking for feedbback regarding the VTV 5 channel (3 Purfi/2 NC252) amp and recommendations for which buffer might be the best match with
Ascend Acoustics towers/Horizon with Raal tweeters. I have some concerns about the high end harshness/shrillness some are reporting and have to wonder if that might be further exagerated when paired with 92 dB efficient speakers with Raals. I just don't feel comfortable selecting a buffer based on the marketing descriptions.

I'll be controlling the amp with a Denon 4700 AVR. At 2.3 volts out it has a SINAD of 97 so I'm thinking I'd like to take advantage of that into a Purfi vs an NC252 based amp BUT I'm reading better user remarks and satisfaction from the N-core users. Thoughts on that?

Thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am thinking of upgrading my current amplifier, Nad M22, and have potentially narrowed it down to three options:

1. VTV Purifi 1ET400;
2. Nad C298;
3. Nad M33 (integrated);

Other background info: 99% of my music is Tidal streaming although I think I may demo another service such as Amazon high res after reading about the negatives of MQA and poor technical support of TIDAL. My current preamp, streamer, dac combo is a Nad M12.

If I were to upgrade that I would want to look at a dac/preamp that has Dirac capability or I would probably just keep my M12. I would not be opposed to separating these functions as well. After reading the audio science review on C658, it does not seem to get a very glowing review although for me on paper would check all the boxes: DAC, streamer, preamp and Dirac capabilities and hence my thinking to purchase the M33 instead; albeit its the most likely the most expensive.

I would like to hear other members thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you

Current Setup:
Speakers: Focal Kanta 2
Amplifier: Nad M22
Pre-Amp & Dac & Streamer: Nad M12
Your three options are different. Obviously the M33 is an integrated solution where as the other are simply power amps. Presumably it would replace your NAD M12 as well as your NAD M22. I have heard a couple of user praise their M33's very highly. However I wouldn't go that way myself largely because of the high price.

Personally I would strongly consider:
  • mimiDSP SHD: this integrates Volumio streamer, Dirac room correction, DAC, and preamp
  • VTV Purifi stereo amp with VTV buffer with Sparkos op amps.
I have no personal experience with the SHD. I do own a VTV Purify with their buffer and the Sparkos -- my advice: avoid the Hypex Eval buffer, the Sparkos sounds much better.

Also, I say don't go for the NC252MP, (vs. the Purifi), the Purifi is a significant step up in transparency.

JonfromCB

Let me try another angle here. I'm totally confused (ignorant actually) by the different Purfi buffers and OP amps, gain jumpers, Sparkos vs custom, vs Neurochrome, etc.

How does a consumer get informed or start to make sense of it? Is there a good resource out there? Purfi for Dummies? Gimme sumpin.

Top Bottom