• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi Amp - Hiss…and then it was gone!?

Chester

Hello all

I had an unexpected audio experience today and am really interested in getting to the bottom of it.

I have a Chord TT2 feeding a Purifi Amp, into Revel F208’s. In the past I could not get the Chord and Purifi to play nicely together. Hiss from the F208’s was always an issue whether I ran the TT2 in low gain/high gain or RCA/XLR. High gain and XLR always made things worse but either way, I found it to bother me (not in an audible way, in a ridiculous audiophile way) and so swapped the RME ADI-2 Pro FS in, which made the hiss (almost) non existent.

I’ve been reconfiguring rooms recently and wanted the RME elsewhere. I reunited the Chord and Purifi and found the hiss present as always. Instantly noticeable from a distance. To my total surprise, I quietly played some music through the system and paused briefly, only to find the hiss was at the same level experienced with the RME (almost undetectable). Background noise was consistently very low (I always do my changes when everyone is out the house and I can control background noise). I must also stress that the original hiss heard could be heard from a good 30-60cm from the tweeter of the F208’s compared to virtually having to push my ear into the tweeter to hear any hiss at all.

I’m delighted that it’s gone, I just don’t understand what could have caused such a difference.

I’ve pondered all day, considering all sorts of possible reasons but can’t reconcile this.

I am hoping one of the clever chaps here may have a hypothesis.

Here’s hoping

Top Bottom