• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi 2 channel amp suitability for 15 amp 120V circuit.......

gad

I am considering purchasing a purifi 2 channel amp rated at 425 wpc for 4 ohm towers located in a room with 15 amp 120 V circuit. Years ago in the same room I had a Wyred4Sound sti
1000 integrated rated at nearly 1000 wpc. into 4 ohm speakers, 300 watt TV, cable box, lights, and never tripped a breaker or burned the house down. I know that 15 amp circuits are rated for 1800 watts and that amplifiers usually operate well below rated power. I also know it's what I don't know that can really mess up my life. So the big question is........is there a safety
concern running the purifi with my current 15 amp circuit?

Thanks-

gad

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No concern at all. The Hypex SMPS1200A400 is the most often used power supply for stereo Purifi amps. It has a 12 A fuse, and so your house AC circuit capacity should be fine (if the circuit is not shared with something else that draws a lot of power). The house AC circuit breaker will give you additional/redundant protection.

hypex.png

Speedskater

Major Contributor
That 15 Amp rating of an AC power circuit, is the continuous 3 hour rating. An large old fashioned incandescent lighting system or a heating unit might draw a large current for 3 hours or longer. The circuit itself can provide much more current briefly.
(with the exception of Class 'A' amps, power amps only draw high current briefly when playing music or movie sound tracks.

OP
G

gad

thanks guys

A lot to consider. Just got $1,100 quote for dedicated 20 amp circuit, breaker and socket. Lot of $ for simple 10 ft. wire run from garage panel to den. If I go with purifi and
current 15 amp circuit I'll be sure to fully charge my first alert fire extinguisher. :cool:

gad-

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you succeed in tripping the breaker, you'll probably be deaf. So, the breaker will be the least of your problems. Seriously, most of music power is in brief peaks, up to 100x (or more) the average. So you'll still only draw a few watts even at high volumes.

Top Bottom