• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi 1et400a monoblocks with Revel M126be?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My wife wasn’t happy when I dragged in a pair of Kplisch Forte IIIs into our family room, but she got over it. Words to live by- it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission :p

You dragged a pair of Klipsch Forte III's into your living room and you're still alive to tell the tale! WOW! :D

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
AMEN. I never owned a very large home with extra "family rooms" and such so the living room was MY space, take it or leave it. A 22 x 14 x 9 room, I had the listening/viewing chair ruffly in the middle of the room, when it faced North down the long dimension it looked at my 2ch rig with Klipsch LaScala's and dual 7' tall HSU subwoofers with the gear shrine in the middle. When I swung the chair to the south, it faced my 35" Mitsubishi CRT TV and a 5.2 Paradigm surround speaker system that would also use the same HSU subwoofers, an Adcom HT pre/pro and Adcom GFA amps. It was a great little multich system in it's time. All that ended after my retirement in 2008 and my move to paradise in Central FL.
As B B King alway sang,
"as long as I'm payin the rent and the bills woman,
I'm payin the cost to be the boss" ;)

Yeah, me neither! Just a modest home but a nice one nonetheless...it's the opposite in my case, my wife is very houseproud and has claimed the lounge as her "space". I have to pass a "will they match the room decor" test each time I attempt to buy anything as big as a speaker!
I see her point but it also makes you realise that your choices are massively limited when you have to work to a particular standard/style/colour.

Love your quote by the way.....:)

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I am not quite sure what your problems are: if it is a harsh sound, the main speakers would be the prime suspect. However, if it is a 40 Hz peak, it pays to do a little experiment: just turn off the subs, and measure again (with high pass filter and any dsp eq of the main speakers still activated, i.e. no other changes). Is the peak gone, or not?
My hunch is that with respect to bass response you are trying to pump too much bass into a room that is too small for it.

Hi Willem.

The problem is, I don't want to have to EQ my speakers to within an inch of their life! I obviously bought the wrong speaker for my room because I didn't do enough research beforehand. A year has passed and although there is nothing wrong with my speakers as such (they're doing what they were designed to do), I am on a journey now and I won't stop until I end up with the right pair of speakers and let the Spendors go to a home that they belong in.....where they will have space around them to breathe.

I either go for a pair of bookshelf that I can blend easy with my subs or I go for floorstanders that won't excite that room mode I have....won't be an easy thing to do.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
My 80hz, 100hz and full range MDAT files if anybody is at all interested.

Attachments

• 80hz x-over.zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 83
  • 100hz x-over.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 77
  • Full range.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 78

Jdunk54nl

Hi Willem.

The problem is, I don't want to have to EQ my speakers to within an inch of their life! I obviously bought the wrong speaker for my room because I didn't do enough research beforehand. A year has passed and although there is nothing wrong with my speakers as such (they're doing what they were designed to do), I am on a journey now and I won't stop until I end up with the right pair of speakers and let the Spendors go to a home that they belong in.....where they will have space around them to breathe.

I either go for a pair of bookshelf that I can blend easy with my subs or I go for floorstanders that won't excite that room mode I have....won't be an easy thing to do.

What do you mean within an inch of their life? If you EQ your speakers to solve the problems you stated, you are reducing their output in the frequency range that requires the most power. IE you are actually protecting them more.

I know very few rooms that are not purposely built that speakers can be ran without some sort of EQ. You will never be happy with any speaker purchase if you are unwilling to do even some basic EQ.

Jdunk54nl

From your graphs, it also appears that from 100hz to about 2000hz you have a slight slope up starting around 68db at 100hz to about 75db by 2000hz. Then a slope down after.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.01.16.png

This is your 100hz crossover. Which appears to be semi doing its job. REW has it about 110hz at a 12db slope. But you can see the 500hz to about 2500hz range is a little high.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.03.20.png

Your 80hz looks good as well. Seems to be about a 85hz at 12db/oct slope. But same issue with the 400hz to 2500hz range.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.05.58.png

All in, that 40hz would be easy to take care of with some EQ work and that 500hz to 2500hz hz area if you believe in eqing up that high.

This was just running the auto eq from 20hz to 20,000hz but this is what you could accomplish:
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.09.20.png

Here are the filters for this auto eq:
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.14.36.png

This is from 20hz to 2500hz. Still a little too much energy at the 4khz to about 9khz range so might be considered bright.
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.10.09.png

Here are the filters for that last graph. It is a big cut at 40hz. Again, this is just the auto EQ option on REW.
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.12.53.png

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My wife wasn’t happy when I dragged in a pair of Kplisch Forte IIIs into our family room, but she got over it.
You dragged a pair of Klipsch Forte III's into your living room and you're still alive to tell the tale! WOW! :D
I really don't understand the issue? The Forte's are fairly small speakers to start with and he only brought in 2?
I don't remember the last time I had less than 9 speakers in the living-room, and currently I have 11

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
From your graphs, it also appears that from 100hz to about 2000hz you have a slight slope up starting around 68db at 100hz to about 75db by 2000hz. Then a slope down after.

View attachment 85202

This is your 100hz crossover. Which appears to be semi doing its job. REW has it about 110hz at a 12db slope. But you can see the 500hz to about 2500hz range is a little high.

View attachment 85203

Your 80hz looks good as well. Seems to be about a 85hz at 12db/oct slope. But same issue with the 400hz to 2500hz range.

View attachment 85204

All in, that 40hz would be easy to take care of with some EQ work and that 500hz to 2500hz hz area if you believe in eqing up that high.

This was just running the auto eq from 20hz to 20,000hz but this is what you could accomplish:
View attachment 85205

Here are the filters for this auto eq:
View attachment 85210

This is from 20hz to 2500hz. Still a little too much energy at the 4khz to about 9khz range so might be considered bright.
View attachment 85206

Here are the filters for that last graph. It is a big cut at 40hz. Again, this is just the auto EQ option on REW.
View attachment 85207

I really wish I knew how to read the measurements the way you do and, more importantly, understand what I'm seeing.
The info you have provided is absolutely fantastic and I cannot thank you enough!
I agree with you as far as "brightness" is concerned, they are quite bright and revealing which I like but sometimes it can be a little jarring.

I think I've convinced myself that I need to make a change and I'm seriously looking into the Salk Sound Song3 or BMR.
You may think I'm being ridiculous in wanting to change my speakers especially seen as though they cost me a pretty penny but isn't buying new stuff half the fun of this game? :)

I'm going to run an Anthem Room Correction run this weekend to see what can be achieved as I only use the minidsp for my subs.

What speakers and set up do you use??

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I really don't understand the issue? The Forte's are fairly small speakers to start with and he only brought in 2?
I don't remember the last time I had less than 9 speakers in the living-room, and currently I have 11

hehehehe. yes, the forte's are a small speaker BUT in my lounge, they would take up half the room!! :D

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
@CDMC

You mentioned the "Song3" on the first page. Looking at the specs, their -3db point is 33hz, wouldn't that excite my room mode just like my current speakers do or am I looking at it all wrong?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
It's pretty good , even the automated correction where you just leave it to sort it out is good imo. Dose a ok job with my two subs and vivid speakers.

I hope so, I have not touched the room correction yet as I just haven't had time with work and everything....something will probably come up this weekend knowing my luck! Anyway, I've never heard of Vivid speakers before and WOW....never seen anything like those before! I bet they cost a fair few quid! :)
Which ones do you have?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I hope so, I have not touched the room correction yet as I just haven't had time with work and everything....something will probably come up this weekend knowing my luck! Anyway, I've never heard of Vivid speakers before and WOW....never seen anything like those before! I bet they cost a fair few quid! :)
Which ones do you have?
It takes about 10 mins , you can mess about with a few settings and create a few different profiles like setting the correction frequency range to various values etc . If you let it lose on your sub too and just live with the result for a few weeks , mess with the settings later would be my advice . There's loads of user programmable parameters if you want to go full geek on it lol .

I have G3 ' s with some of the newer bass drivers .

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
It takes about 10 mins , you can mess about with a few settings and create a few different profiles like setting the correction frequency range to various values etc . If you let it lose on your sub too and just live with the result for a few weeks , mess with the settings later would be my advice . There's loads of user programmable parameters if you want to go full geek on it lol .

I have G3 ' s with some of the newer bass drivers .

Looking forward to trying it out now! I'm still wanting a change though mate. You know when you get that "itch"....I love my Spendors but I know they are not suited to my room. I'm drooling over the Revel M126be's and I've had my head turned to the Song3 and BMR by Philharmonic.
I'm obsessing over it which means the Spendors WILL be sold. I'm very impulsive but this time I'm going to take my time as this HAS to be right this time around.

Your speakers.............I am in total awe of them! They are beautiful! Like a living, breathing thing. I couldn't imagine owning something like that. :)

Jdunk54nl

I would strongly encourage you to run the room correction software, then just enjoy it for a a couple weeks like Thomas suggested.
  1. Then figure out what you still don't like about the speakers subjectively.
  2. Then take some rew measurements again and see the results there. Are they a gentle slope down or do you still have a sad face shape?
  3. Then use the room correction software again only customizing it to get that gentle slope down. (will need to verify via REW measurements after correction)
  4. Listen to this for a couple of weeks and figure out what you still don't like about the speakers.
  5. After all of this, then upgrade to speakers that fill those needs/things you don't like about your current speakers. Otherwise you are firing blindfolded and are very likely to miss your mark.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I would strongly encourage you to run the room correction software, then just enjoy it for a a couple weeks like Thomas suggested.
  1. Then figure out what you still don't like about the speakers subjectively.
  2. Then take some rew measurements again and see the results there. Are they a gentle slope down or do you still have a sad face shape?
  3. Then use the room correction software again only customizing it to get that gentle slope down. (will need to verify via REW measurements after correction)
  4. Listen to this for a couple of weeks and figure out what you still don't like about the speakers.
  5. After all of this, then upgrade to speakers that fill those needs/things you don't like about your current speakers. Otherwise you are firing blindfolded and are very likely to miss your mark.

You are right of course, my impulsive nature does get the better of me sometimes! I'm like a pitbull with a bone once I set my mind to anything audio....especially with @Thomas savage showing off his glorious set of speakers! :)

Jdunk54nl

You are right of course, my impulsive nature does get the better of me sometimes! I'm like a pitbull with a bone once I set my mind to anything audio....especially with @Thomas savage showing off his glorious set of speakers! :)
Oh I am the same...I have been forced to change when my wife and I decided a few years ago that we literally have to have the cash in our bank to buy it. No credit cards, no loans, nothing besides cash for us now. Forces me to make the most out of what I have and really figure out what I don't like about it during the time I have to use it. Then, when I go to upgrade, I make a very informed decision about what I am trying to fix.

I have found with some proper EQ, you can really make some things sing!

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Morning chaps.

I'm off to work now but will be back later.
I'll leave you all with some pics of my modest living room. Standard, small english living room with "not ideal" location issues.

As you can see, my speakers are in the corner (this cannot be changed) my right sub is about 2 foot from the right speaker.
My left sub is next to the couch with a glass plate on with sorbothane pads to prevent vibration into the lamp.
MLP is not ideal as my window is directly behind.

The cardboard boxes are some Focal 906's I'm selling. Tried them out but the wife hated the stands.
They sounded nice actually but didn't have them set up long enough to provide an accurate, subjective account of them.

See the walnut theme.... This must continue with the new speakers (if I buy new speakers)

I tried to plug the ports of the Spendors but it only drops the 40hz mode by around 4db.

Anyway, off to work..... View attachment 85155View attachment 85156View attachment 85157View attachment 85158View attachment 85159View attachment 85160View attachment 85161View attachment 85162View attachment 85163

Here is what I see:

• A cute child reading. I wish my son was that age again, enjoy it.
  • You have optimized your placement options about as well as the room allows. What stands out to me is that no matter what you do your right speaker is going to be in a corner, which means extra bass reinforcement compounded by your listening location near the back wall. BUT, you have the tools to deal with this, a stepper high pass filter on your mains and ARC.
  • Some of your forwardness in the midrange could be due to the first reflection on the side walls, especially the right speaker. Put a pillow at the first reflection point on the right and see what that does.
  • Not sure if it is possible, but you might try also moving the left speaker to the other side of the doorway, the tv to the left a bit and the right speaker over a bit.
Like the others, I strongly encourage you to play with ARC and adjust your crossover settings before buying anything. We haven't played out your options with what you have and doing so will give us much better information on what replacement speakers may work well for you. It is entirely possible, after some input and adjustments in ARC, you find your current speakers work great.

Also, just FYI, I don't believe the Song 3s having the woofer low is an issue. Directional cues occur at the higher frequencies and those will be coming from the mid and tweeter. Another option might be the Salk Song Towers, as your listening levels are low, but lets not go there yet. Lets work with what you have, as there is a lot of room to dial it in and get you closer to what you want for no money.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My wife wasn’t happy when I dragged in a pair of Kplisch Forte IIIs into our family room, but she got over it. Words to live by- it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission :p

I reminded my wife for years I came into the marriage with 3 things, 1) a child, 2) a bicycle problem, and 3) a big ass set of Magnepans.

Top Bottom