• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pure Electric Vehicles

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Goodness, there are some impressive and expensive cars in play here!
By comparison we only have one car (Volvo polestar), and even that is on lease :)!
How has your Polestar been so far? The Polestar 4 sure looks interesting as an only car.

Gregm

How has your Polestar been so far? The Polestar 4 sure looks interesting as an only car.
Sorry to disappoint, but mine is a lowly PHEV Volvo xc60 T8. The Polestar 4 sure looks snazy, though.
Mine just has some polestar engineering -- which basically means its combined el-ICE performance is tweaked so as to accelerate faster.
FWIW it is very comfortable, user-friendly, and impressively fast -- but then I've never owned a Ferrari, so it's a rocket compared to my usual fare (C class Merc, Mini S, etc). Slow to charge though - 3.6 kW/hr max

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah!
OK then the American, or at least your, definition is different in English, there are very few body on frame vehicles left here, and "sports" isnt a prefix I'd attach to many of them!
Here everything from Land Rover, BMWs "X" models and almost all Mercedes these days here are marketed as SUVs, (22 SUVs listed against 8 saloons on M-B UK website).
We call anything "sport" or "sporty" here. It's rather embarrassing.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah!
OK then the American, or at least your, definition is different in English, there are very few body on frame vehicles left here, and "sports" isnt a prefix I'd attach to many of them!
Here everything from Land Rover, BMWs "X" models and almost all Mercedes these days here are marketed as SUVs, (22 SUVs listed against 8 saloons on M-B UK website).
I had no idea what a Telluride is, not a vehicle I have ever heard of so I did an internet search for Telluride and only found a Kia SUV called that, definitely an SUV by the English definition and referred to as such on their website.

Ian, an old colleague of mine, did a lovely job of the i-Pace styling but it is still considered a crossover rather than a car here, and the Ioniq 5 and Mach-E too.

I see the "divided by a common language" phrase is just as true with vehicles as with so many other things!
Car? Crossover? Interchangeable terms these days.

The DOT in the US has specific definitions for vehicle classes, but they've nothing to do with marketing. The definitions are all about taxation and fuel consumption classification, and they include things like the size of the floor in the rear storage area. It's all quite stupid.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Polestar had "come to your home" test drives during pre-vaccine COVID. I set one up, and the salesman wanted to come in the car with me. I demurred.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
station wagon
These are American estate cars. :D

This Jeep would suffice veryy well but it's a gas guzzler and they 4x4 very well. They are popular again and people are restoring them.
s-l500.jpg

Of course the Grand Torino is a classy full size station wagon with the fuel economy to go with.
il_1588xN.2508626897_q7aq.jpg

The awesome 1987 Buick Electra Estate station wagon. A seriously floaty ride built for family cruising. I would like a Electra.
1200px-1987_Buick_Electra_Estate_a_station_wagon_at_2019_AACA_Hershey_meet_1of3.jpg

2 buddies used to drive these Buicks. They are long and surprisingly fast on the highway without corners.
5702160596-bcd0ac41bc-o-1582314876.jpg

DonR

Major Contributor
75% of all sales in North America are crossovers, SUVs and light trucks. Traditional saloon cars and small cars make up about 15%.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
75% of all sales in North America are crossovers, SUVs and light trucks. Traditional saloon cars and small cars make up about 12%.
Chevy is closing the Bolt plant so they can make more SUVs and trucks.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These are American estate cars. :D

This Jeep would suffice veryy well but it's a gas guzzler and they 4x4 very well. They are popular again and people are restoring them.
s-l500.jpg

Of course the Grand Torino is a classy full size station wagon with the fuel economy to go with.
il_1588xN.2508626897_q7aq.jpg

The awesome 1987 Buick Electra Estate station wagon. A seriously floaty ride built for family cruising. I would like a Electra.
1200px-1987_Buick_Electra_Estate_a_station_wagon_at_2019_AACA_Hershey_meet_1of3.jpg

2 buddies used to drive these Buicks. They are long and surprisingly fast on the highway without corners.
5702160596-bcd0ac41bc-o-1582314876.jpg
I'm so old I remember when almost every family had a station wagon.

Top Bottom