• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pure digital AV processor?

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Trinnov or Storm Audio

audimus

Because not sure if there is multi channel DAC...
In AV usually have 11-16channels, better to control all volume in 1 place.

Yes, there are a few but typically limited to 8 channels. This page keeps track of it.

https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/MultiChannel.htm

BUT either they are very expensive or not any better than a typical AVR DAC or designed with interfaces that are not easy for an average consumer or require a limited context use (with a HTPC or something with USB out, etc). I thought the Motu unit there is probably a good compromise although it is a pro-audio unit with a lot of features not required typical home use. I asked a question about experience with Motu in a HT context but no one has volunteered yet.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
PowerDVD (Windows only) can operate as a multichannel software decoder, sending BR/DVD's multi-chan audio (via USB) directly to the analog outputs of an RME Fireface UCX - works very well. I tried also with a Motu 8D but only got 2-chan playback so may be exclusive to the RME devices.
See page 17 FF UCX user-manual for more details.

Edit: there is also an option to send a AC-3/DTS non-decoded digital multichannel data stream via SPDIF output to an AVR etc.

PowerDVD stopped supporting DVDAudio some versions ago.
I use(d) Powerdvd 7 for DVDAudio (and Hddvd) and a Maudio 1010 sending 6 analog channels into a Preamp. The Maudio1010 had good drivers under Windows XP with delay, routing and level control. That went away for Windows 8 and above, hence I still keep a XP installation. But that would not play all Blu-ray’s as the copy protection for the old Powerdvd could not be updated, so I added AnyDvd. And a second boot partition with Win10 for 3D Blu-ray, as those would never play under WinXp (potentially through a 1000USD Quattro Card...).

But this is what I mean - not practical.

Re-coding PowerDvd Mch into an Ac3 stream works and I feed this into a dedicated Ac3 converter (Parasound PDD1500) feeding that into the Preamp via a dedicated 6channels DB25 Input switcher (as there is also the Maudio 6channel feed). I think that Powerdvd would encode Mch into analog 5.1 Dolby for analog connections too...

Again, great fun, but not if listening to music is the goal.

BTW, would be good to check how the RME DAC compares to Maudio1010, or MiniDSPs HDA or others to see if it is worth the trouble. The RME UCX looks like a great device which I should have bought instead of the Maudio 1010.

retro

I see no problem using a HTPC as your only digital source. That's what I've been using ever since the Lynx Two cards were released. Currently use two of them for a total of 12 ch XLR analog out. They also give 4 ch digital out as well as 4 ch analog inputs. Yes, I know it's considered a no-no to use internal soundcards, but obviously I don't agree with this. I have yet to find something better sounding, and I have tried..

You could also use the Lynx AES16 (or similar RME) for 16 digital XLR out and choose whatever dac's you want.

Only thing currently missing from a HTPC is Atmos decoding. I've been told its a work in progress..

retro

Sorry for interrupting the thread but, is it possible to use multiple dacs for more output channels? How?
Yes, perfectly possible. Several ways to do it. In my case, I use internal soundcards. But you can also use Lynx or RME internal digital cards, like the AES 16. You then get 16 ch XLR digital out and you can connect external dac's to that. MiniDSP also has a solution for using multiple dac's from a computer. Read Kal's column in Stereophile, he explains it thoroughly.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been looking for a solution to this issue, and there are a couple of options:
-Old Meridian units that do coaxial output.
-Dolby DP564 surround decoder, which is what I ended up going with. 7.1 channels of AES3iD output, with simultaneous 8 channel analogue output.

The DP564 is ~$250. Disgusts me that there isn't really competition under $16,000, as I'm sure you could source all the parts for $100 these days and pay dolby $100 per unit and get a $500 product out that would satisfy a lot of users if you added a remote.

dansan69

Expect higher end processors to add Dante/AES67 interfaces, this is a scalable solution as it runs over ethernet infrastructure, although 16 and 32 channels Dante dacs are currently semi expensive, but prices will no doubt drop as pro-audio market will drive down retail prices.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been looking for a solution to this issue, and there are a couple of options:
-Old Meridian units that do coaxial output.
-Dolby DP564 surround decoder, which is what I ended up going with. 7.1 channels of AES3iD output, with simultaneous 8 channel analogue output.

The DP564 is ~$250. Disgusts me that there isn't really competition under $16,000, as I'm sure you could source all the parts for $100 these days and pay dolby $100 per unit and get a $500 product out that would satisfy a lot of users if you added a remote.

I'd love to see MiniDSP and HDFury team up to build a 7.1 processor with balanced outs that could handle HDMI 2.1.
HDFury may be the only small company that could provide the HDMI expertise to get this done.
MiniDSP is well integrated with REW and PEQ but MiniDSP is also capable of providing Dirac support.

If such a product could be offered in the $2K range, I'd be very interested!
It may also make sense to have Dirac optional.

- Rich

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Expect higher end processors to add Dante/AES67 interfaces, this is a scalable solution as it runs over ethernet infrastructure, although 16 and 32 channels Dante dacs are currently semi expensive, but prices will no doubt drop as pro-audio market will drive down retail prices.

Dante would be ideal. You can use adapters to convert from Ethernet to XLR, AES over XLR, and I think RCA. I think Genelec actually used a Dante system at NAB in Las Vegas a couple of years ago when I went. I wish I'd asked them more. Audio distribution seemed boring to me at the time.

Krobar

Yes. VERY frustrating as it would otherwise be ideal.

Looks like the last firmware release for the SDP-55 (v1.54) has finally got Dante working properly. Lots of feedback now on AVS saying all clicking is gone and full format support is working properly.

The current firmware is actually stable and although its not cheap they have significantly lowered the cost of entry to full digital output. Some reported they had to change the config for the SDP-55 to be the clock master and/or increase network latency from 1ms to 2ms.

Last edited:

rhollan

Oooh! Got to check it out. Thanks. I've been watching this for what? Two years?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The comments are not clear if in this configuration, Jriver can do the bitstreaming decoding and send the 7.1 PCM to an 8 channels DAC.
I see only comments about DD+ 5.1 bitstream output.
Did you tested it ?
I have not but I don't see why it should not. AFAIK, others have bitstreamed Atmos.

Top Bottom