• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pure digital AV processor?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Arvus might have what you need, combined with an HDFury Diva for source selection.
I think they do, but does it work with HDCP? I'm hoping it will work and I can use EARC and control the volume with my normal TV remote.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the DP564 limited to 7.1 channels and unsuitable for atmos height and tops?
Yes, which is why I want to upgrade to something like the JBL SDP55 which can do Dante output so that I can ignore the issue with that unit and go all digital which my sub needs anyhow.

I certainly would consider something like this:

- HDFury 2 for HDMI switching
- 7.1 Digital processor for crossovers
- OCTO 8 or other 8 channel DAC for volume control.

Such a product would likely have less bugs, higher performance, and perform faster switching than anything out there.
It would just work.

- Rich

GLM handles the crossover and subwoofer integration. Don't need a DAC as there is one inside each speaker. Do you know if the HD Fury does instant HDMI switching? That would be nice.

chelgrian

Yes. 7.1.2 is what I'm looking at.

Genelec 8260 and 8351B for LR and C.

8331 for surrounds and height.

Bass manage everything except the L and R. 7271 subwoofer I have is only digital.
Do note you'll need a 9301b to do bass management in GLM for AES. Unless of course you already have a 9301a and you decide to drop some channels out of bass management.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do note you'll need a 9301b to do bass management in GLM for AES. Unless of course you already have a 9301a and you decide to drop some channels out of bass management.
I'll drop the left and right from bass management or get two subs.

rhollan

I use an Emotiva XSP-1 for dual subs. Stereo bass from stereo signals. My Rythmic subs have XLR3 plate amps that allow for separate music and HT input, so I can tune HT bass individually.

chelgrian

I'll drop the left and right from bass management or get two subs.
Ok so looks like you could build something out of:

- HDFury matrix (vertex/vroom/diva)
- Arvus H2-4D
- Genelec 9301(a or b)
- Genelec SAM speakers

I don't think you are going to get volume control over HDMI though as the HD Fury doesn't seem to pass the eARC through. It extracts the audio from eARC and turns it in to a normal HDMI signal with blank video. I'm not sure the Arvus even supports volume control even if plugged directly in to an eARC capable display.

Thus you would need to do volume control in GLM or something Crestron like that can control the Arvus.

It's compromises, you compromise in usability to get better audio performance.

rhollan

I think Arvus does volume control with the latest firmware. Someone had promised a review.

chelgrian

I think Arvus does volume control with the latest firmware. Someone had promised a review.
It does, global control in 1db increments, however it is unclear if there is any way of interacting with it other than the web user interface.

rhollan

A Web UI on a tablet does not strike me as a bad thing for a volume control. YMMV. Also, a small computer could be programed to translate IR to web commands or other output IR control.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It does, global control in 1db increments, however it is unclear if there is any way of interacting with it other than the web user interface.
That is unfortunate, as home users like myself and many others need something that works with the remotes we already have.

I wish an updated GLM box would have an IR receiver that could learn the volume commands from a remote.

chelgrian

That is unfortunate, as home users like myself and many others need something that works with the remotes we already have.

I wish an updated GLM box would have an IR receiver that could learn the volume commands from a remote.
Genelec aren't aiming at he home market having said that the wired GLM volume control is a three-pin 10K potentiometer with logarithmic scaling. In the TRS connector slider is ring. Resistance between shield and tip is always 10K. In lowest volume position resistance between ring and shield is zero.

Thus it ought be be possible to DIY a solution.

It would also be worth contacting ARVUS to discover if it is possible for them to implement HDMI CEC volume control so the ARVUS volume can be controlled with the TV remote.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It would also be worth contacting ARVUS to discover if it is possible for them to implement HDMI CEC volume control so the ARVUS volume can be controlled with the TV remote.
You can ask but I doubt this one will fly.
Control of the increments is promised.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping have a 8 channel DAC that might be a good starting point.

chelgrian

You can ask but I doubt this one will fly.

Control of the increments is promised.
I thought as much on the CEC, it's annoying since because of the way HDMI works they must have done 90% of the work needed here in order to implement ARC support.

Top Bottom