• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pure Audio Project Trio with Tangband 1808 experience anyone?

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With the 6db 3.9 mh cross that came with my trios, the crossover frequency for two woofers at total of 4 ohms is about 165 hz.

Plcamp

Not been active on this for quite a while...however I have received , after great deliberation, two SB26STCN (4 ohm) silkdome tweeters (a bit over $50CAD ea) from Solen. They are a near perfect spl match with the tangband W8|1808, I am listening now baffleless to them crossed steeply (24 dB) at 2 kHz.
They will be matched to an elliptical waveguide, but not final on that as I first want to measure tangband dispersion carefully between 1.5 and 3 kHz to understand minimum required cutoff of the waveguide.

I just bolted the new tweeters baffleless to try them out. SRV told me that was a good decision.

Attachments

• 64D50BF2-A650-4AB5-AF27-705E75A611A0.jpeg
    64D50BF2-A650-4AB5-AF27-705E75A611A0.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 248

Plcamp

Been a while since I have updated, and not much actually changed, with the exception of my intent.

Here is what I will be doing to transform the PAP trio 15 TB into a truly amazing system.

It is going to be a four way system. At the bottom will be one of the 15” woofers in an hframe extending bass response to low 30’s hz region powered by a Hafler xl280 under dsp control. It’s cross out will be (acoustically) about 90 to 120 hz, second order. Adds dB to low bass of the next woofer.

The second 15” woofer will (with a dsp allpass to match phase effect of the first woofer) extend up to (acoustically) 500 to 700 hz, crossing out using a PLLXO asymmetrically to the Tangband 1808... It (the second woofer) will be powered by an Adcom 535II, and will have no bottom end bass boost to minimize IM distortion risk. I can boost the low woofer to taste.

The Tangband (on a just wide enough to mount it baffle) will extend response up to an SB26 tweeter. That tweeter will be loaded into an 6-8” wide printed waveguide that matches dispersion characteristics to the tangband, extending the tweeter’s low frequency (at low distortion) capability to under 2 khz. These will be powered by a second Adcom 535II with a high pass PLLXO at its inputs, and a 6 dB asymmetric post amp cross for the Tangband/tweeter cross.

The Tangband needs to be physically (2” delayed from the woofer to maintain timing alignment, I will use a routered cavity to back mount it and accomplish that, and the contour will assure a 1” radius at baffle edge to eliminate any significant diffraction effects. I can also match the woofer width while doing this, matching the two driver’s off axis response. Similarly, the tweeter’s waveguide depth will assure timing alignment between it and the Tangband.

Both woofers and the Tangband will be magnet-mounted to assure a zero vibration environment on baffle face.

* PLLXO @ 12 dB looks to be a great crossover option for this, because the Adcom’s have unusually high input impedance (100kohm) allowing low insertion loss.

It’s a lot of work, it’s a lot of fun, and I can’t even start it for another month.

But I am persistent, and I will show you what results...eventually.

Top Bottom