• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

purchasing help/advice, between 8030c vs 8040b

machinejump

helllo.

As the title suggest I am between a pair of 8030c's or 8040b's. Both sets are used and looking at about an extra $1000 to go for the 040's. These would be going in my main room doing double duty for tv/movies and music. I do have a sub, but its nothing special but would be something to fill out the bottom - although the gf would be happy to see it go. I did drag my 8020's into the main room to see if how they would sound.. and they did a surprisingly decent job, definitely lacked low end but had more oomph than i was expecting. So I *think* the 8030's could work, are smaller and cost a bit less.. but the 040's will pack a bit more punch in the lowend.. and the deal on them is pretty solid but are bigger.. thoughts?

my listening position will be ~ 18ft away

thanks!

Last edited:

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When it comes to Genelecs the bigger the better. There is no cons with the bigger ones except the price (well, size). Pros are SPL and extension.

And yes, you will notice clear improvement in bass until the 50/51 level which can produce bass tunes for most music.

And this is assuming 18ft is a typo.

YSC

Major Contributor
at 18 feet the 8040 would likely struggle... but if you find the 8020 to be ok, it might work but as much as I love my 8030C, I doubt at that distance the upper to mid bass would not be stressed. a better solution would be get 8020/8030 and then a 7050 or any sub to fill that missing part in, or if space is limited, get a 7040 (with 18ft distance I think space wouldn't be a problem).

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I had G4s (8040 equivalent) in my family room for TV and I felt they did fine without a sub. A sub would bring a little more low end of course but for day to day stuff I didn't find it a necessity. I do have a theater room to watch so I might feel differently if it was my only system.

OP
M

machinejump

And this is assuming 18ft is a typo.
appreciate your feedback. and I was a little off with my distance - its 9ft when I am focused listening ( I move my chair to a particular spot) but the couch is 15ft from speakers here is a photo of the space
at 18 feet the 8040 would likely struggle... but if you find the 8020 to be ok, it might work but as much as I love my 8030C, I doubt at that distance the upper to mid bass would not be stressed. a better solution would be get 8020/8030 and then a 7050 or any sub to fill that missing part in, or if space is limited, get a 7040 (with 18ft distance I think space wouldn't be a problem).
I was a bit off, couch is 15ft away and sometimes i cam move my listening chair into a more idea 9ft triangle position. I do have a sub that can pick up the low end duty. Here is a photo of the space if curious excuse the mess.

I had G4s (8040 equivalent) in my family room for TV and I felt they did fine without a sub. A sub would bring a little more low end of course but for day to day stuff I didn't find it a necessity. I do have a theater room to watch so I might feel differently if it was my only system.
thanks.. yea everyones comments so far have me leaning towards 8040s.. Since you have the equivalents and also in the family room, do you find the size.. distractingly big?

YSC

Major Contributor
appreciate your feedback. and I was a little off with my distance - its 9ft when I am focused listening ( I move my chair to a particular spot) but the couch is 15ft from speakers here is a photo of the space

I was a bit off, couch is 15ft away and sometimes i cam move my listening chair into a more idea 9ft triangle position. I do have a sub that can pick up the low end duty. Here is a photo of the space if curious excuse the mess.

thanks.. yea everyones comments so far have me leaning towards 8040s.. Since you have the equivalents and also in the family room, do you find the size.. distractingly big?
8040 would be better if you need the volume on the mids a bit, maybe you can judge your need with the exp of your 8020, if in your test, ignoring the bass content and say high pass it with EQ APO above ~80hz, if it doesn't go near max volume/gain setting and you get your desired listening level without the clipping protection light coming off, you could be served well with a 8030C+sub, but in that size of a living room I personally would opt for 8040 and maybe dual sub for the matter of leaving the speakers in the comfort zone.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can afford it go for the 8040. You won't regret it.

djw.cloud

8040 is great especially for TV, I am not so sure about your room though. I think you would get a better result with the Tekton Lore in that room. You need a speaker with a more forward presentation to extend that far into the room. 18 feet is a long way my friend.

Bixet

I have the 8030c for desktop use. They are great when I sit at my desk but too weak if I just stand at the door like 9 feet away.
Genelec has a dedicated page to help choosing the right monitor: https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors

In particular this can help to give you an idea:
correct-monitors-direct_sound_dominance-chart.jpg

Digby

Major Contributor
Other speakers are available. I think I'd want something bigger if 18 feet away, something with an 8" bass driver or bigger still, presuming that will pass the GAF test.

OP
M

machinejump

I have the 8030c for desktop use. They are great when I sit at my desk but too weak if I just stand at the door like 9 feet away.
Genelec has a dedicated page to help choosing the right monitor: https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors

In particular this can help to give you an idea:
correct-monitors-direct_sound_dominance-chart.jpg

is there some reason you chose the direct sound dominance chart vs the SPL chart?

OP
M

machinejump

Other speakers are available. I think I'd want something bigger if 18 feet away, something with an 8" bass driver or bigger still, presuming that will pass the GAF test.

such as... or just making it known that there are other speakers out there? Current setup has a big pair of vintage klipsch kg3's so anything thats not a giant box should pass gaf testing

Shadrach

I can save you some money. Move your listening seat closer to the speakers.;)
The loudspeakers you are considering are near field monitors. From the picture it looks like you've got quite a volume to fill.
I would go by the Genelec guide on room volume rather than listening distance. This might push you towards a substantially more expensive model.
I have the 8030Cs and recently added a single 7050cpm sub base unit. My listening space is about 27 cubic metres.
The addition of the sub made a large difference, not so much in volume, there was enough of that for the space, but for clarity in the 50hz to 85hz region.
Yes, they go low, 21hz in my room, but 21hz at volume isn't something I want to listen to for very long. Nor do my neighbours.

I don't think the 8040B is going to give you what you want. You'll end up wanting to at least try a sub and once bitten as they say...

So, say you went for either the 8040B or the 8030C the question then is which is going to be least expensive once you've bought the inevitable sub.
The Genelec 7050cpm crosses over to the monitors at 85hz which fills in some of the problems one can see in the low frequenct response of the 8030C in amir's review. Why pay the extra for the slight lower frequency response of the 8040s if eventually you'll want a sub that will take care of it?

AudioJester

Forum Donor
I think you will get great, probably too much, bass gain from your room. Its built/ shaped for excess bass!

In my bedroom with desktop LF compensation and -4dB bass roll off, Audyssey still says Iam getting down to <30Hz flat with a big spike (room mode) at 50Hz. For me its enough not to add a sub. Iam a HT bass nut with 2x15 and 2x12 inch subs in my smallish HT downstairs. Genelecs are awesome. I would try the 8040b, you may not want/need subs.

OP
M

machinejump

I think you will get great, probably too much, bass gain from your room. Its built/ shaped for excess bass!

In my bedroom with desktop LF compensation and -4dB bass roll off, Audyssey still says Iam getting down to <30Hz flat with a big spike (room mode) at 50Hz. For me its enough not to add a sub. Iam a HT bass nut with 2x15 and 2x12 inch subs in my smallish HT downstairs. Genelecs are awesome. I would try the 8040b, you may not want/need subs.
If you can afford it go for the 8040. You won't regret it.
pulled the trigger and went with the 8040's... should be here in a week. :D

Top Bottom