• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purchasing advice: Headphone AMP

no1boss

I'm looking for a decent headphone amp, DAC input will most likely be a Topping D30. I will be using it with my K702 65th (62 Ω) and will probably pick up a pair of HD 650 (300 Ω) later this year so the amp should be compatible with those cans as well. I also have the Beoplay H6 (30 Ω) so if they also work it would be a plus.

400~ Euro price range
6.5mm output, preferably < 2 Ω output impedance
Isn't Audio-gd

Nice to have:
Gain switch
XLR balanced
RCA output
Switch for Headphones / RCA

I'm currently looking at the Yulong DA8 (used).

Grave

Well I would just recommend the A30 if you do not need all those features. I love it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Or staying in the Topping line, a DX7s.
Don't think you can do better at about any cost.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't see these often, but a Matrix HPA-3B might fit most of your requirements. A good quality headphone amp (no RCA output, though it has a SE headphone output in addition to XLR-4pin balanced.) Plenty of power, gain switch, balanced or RCA input and you can even try op-amp rolling, if that's your thing.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Don't see these often, but a Matrix HPA-3B might fit most of your requirements. A good quality headphone amp (no RCA output, though it has a SE headphone output in addition to XLR-4pin balanced.) Plenty of power, gain switch, balanced or RCA input and you can even try op-amp rolling, if that's your thing.

The op-amp rolling part is pretty much restricted to to the 18V parts bin for the HPA-3B though. Most of the popular/common op-amps use 15V though. I was looking at them for the longest time and waiting for a good discount sale.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The op-amp rolling part is pretty much restricted to to the 18V parts bin for the HPA-3B though. Most of the popular/common op-amps use 15V though. I was looking at them for the longest time and waiting for a good discount sale.

True. I bought a used one with 15v regulators already installed. It replaced a TEAC HA-501, which is also a good single-ended headamp.

Grave

I had the Matrix M-stage amp (not this one) and it was noisy, not a good amp.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

At the highest gain setting (20dB), I can just start to hear a slight background hiss through HE-560s with Matrix 3B. At medium and low setting, there's no audible noise regardless of the volume knob position. Medium setting is where I leave it, as it gives me plenty of room to turn it up to a level well past my normal listening level. Oh, and I am using the balanced output.

Grave

It seems like a bad brand to me, not transparent.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

The online reviews of the original M-stage and the 3B are not quite the same if you do a search.
Can't really put them together in the same basket.

Grave

Not that I want to defend it, but what isn’t transparent? Just curious.

It's noisy! It sounded worse than the O2 to me.

The online reviews of the original M-stage and the 3B are not quite the same if you do a search.
Can't really put them together in the same basket.

It's the same brand.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's noisy! It sounded worse than the O2 to me.

It's the same brand.

Maybe they got better over time? Matrix published measurements for the 3B, including a THD+N chart from an AP analyzer. If you believe them, not that noisy:

Full-band of THD + N less than 0.0003%, SNR up to -114dB, bandwidth not less than 140k at -3dB gain, 0.4Ω

OP
N

no1boss

This unit seem to offer what I need, shame it has that deep form factor.

Top Bottom