• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purchase Questions/Help- Did I make a Mistake?

desmomusic

Forum Donor
I've been reading this forum for a bit and I'm hoping someone can tell me if I've made a mistake or not as my audio history is (sadly) littered with more than a few of them including an expensive not-very-good-sounding and frustratingly unreliable tube amp I purchased years ago in a moment of weakness. I've also purchased additional tube gear, a DAC from Audio-GD and I have a Schiit Modi-Multibit. Without knowing it I was apparently picking from the audio science review "not recommended" list almost exclusively.

Frustrated with a perceived lack of quality after having tried a bunch of headphones (see list at the end) I was overjoyed to have discovered this forum a few few weeks ago and decided to invest in a better headphone dac/amp setup with what looked like some good picks I noticed on Massdrop. I have on order:

1. Topping DX7s
2. Massdrop AAA THX 789

I know I won't need the DX7s amp after the Massdrop arrives but I figured I could use it for a few months as the Topping will arrive much earlier.

I thought I was in good shape but then after my order I read about a number of DACs that seem better than the Topping DX7s like the Sabaj D5 or the Topping D70. I
really don't want to make a mistake like I did before hence my questions:

1. The DX7s has already shipped- should I try to sell it unopened to get a better DAC like the D70 or the DX7s?
2. It seemed from the charts that the DX7s couldn't fully render 24-bits (only 18?) where the Sabaj could do at least 20. Does this make a big difference? I've purchased a number of 24-bit tracks from HD-Tracks and on the surface this makes it seem like the DX7s wouldn't provide the fidelity the Sabaj or D70 would.
3. Was it even sensible to get the THX 789 at all given that the DX7s (or, say, a Sabaj D5) can amplify? I figured I'd want the power (see headphone list below.)

If it matters here are the current headphones I own. I should mention I'm a bit sensitive to treble. I've realized now I kept purchasing these thinking they should sound better when I probably needed a better DAC/AMP combo. Advice as to whether I should sell any of them is welcome.

- Massdrop 6xx
- ZMF X Vibro Mk II w/Balanced Cable (but I have no balanced amp)
- Massdrop X Fostex TH-X00 Ebony
- Mr. Speakers Aeon Open
- Beyerdynamic DT770 (600Ohm)

I enjoy music a great deal, and it's a main hobby of mine, but I need to end a frustrating cycle of spending. This is a great forum by the way- I've learned more here in a few weeks than I did in years of reading elsewhere.

Lounge Lizard

B"H, Hi I can't truthfully answer your question but I CAN (lol) commiserate with you. For a few months and all too many hours I've spent online, I have the DAC blues too. Only a few weeks ago I found this fantastic audio forum, having been about 13 years on another very populated one where no answers were available but information could have filled up all the earth's oceans. Too ambiguous. I've been looking for DAC's in the $200-$300 range only, but my head is spinning from what's out there available. One great thing I recently learned is on forums like this you will get honest answers, but never go by the specs online of any company since they overdo their products and there is way too much hype. Good luck, and enjoyable listening. In my 66 years I've found that with even two similar products the higher price of one is never a proof of worth.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From whom did you purchase the DX7s? Will this seller take a return? What are your sources? How good are your ears?
You may not be able to purchase an audible difference for the price. By my reckoning, from the Drop AAA THX 789 and a Topping DAC that meets your connectivity needs, the only reasonable upgrade is the RME ADI-2 DAC (which is also a headphone amp). That's based on my experience on this forum.

Sleep on it, for more than one night.

OP
desmomusic

desmomusic

Forum Donor
From whom did you purchase the DX7s? Will this seller take a return? What are your sources? How good are your ears?
You may not be able to purchase an audible difference for the price. By my reckoning, from the Drop AAA THX 789 and a Topping DAC that meets your connectivity needs, the only reasonable upgrade is the RME ADI-2 DAC (which is also a headphone amp). That's based on my experience on this forum.

Sleep on it, for more than one night.

Thanks for the reply! The DX7s is from Massdrop-- they announced it's shipped so I don't think I can stop it. Not sure what there return policy is but I don't think it's that great, is it? Sleeping on it for a night is good advice but I don't think it's possible to stop the Massdrop order (at least not for the DX7s.)

Sources:
- Purchased Hi-Res Audio (24-bit) played using a number of players off of a Mac Pro (2010)
- Tidal Hi-Res/MQA
- Vinyl played off of an old direct-drive Sansui SR-525 direct drive turntable with a DL-110 Phono Cartridge
- I have a few CD players and when the new headphone amp setup arrives I might carry one down

Music:
Lots of blue-note jazz from Audio Wave XRCDs I've bought, Music Matters Jazz LPs
Vintage (mostly on CD) classical recordings like Mercury Real Presence, RCA Living Stereo, Decca, etc.
Prog rock in various formats
A smattering of modern stuff

Hearing ability:
I've hit middle age. I did an online test and over 13k perceived volume level drops pretty fast for me. I do share my system with my son, however, and he has much better range.

I suppose I have eclectic tastes... but I'm picky about recording quality.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
This is nasty. Sell the DX7s to your son or one of his buddies. You'll need a DAC with a USB input? Or, you"ll use a TOSLINK optical or coaxial from your MAC? You'll hook-up the CD player through digital or analogue means? From the TT you'll need a phono amp to the DROP AAA THX 789, right? You'll have to resolve how you're going to connect everything in order to know if you could buy a less expensive DAC with the right connectivity and pocket some change! Just stick with Topping DACs and you'll be alright. How many inputs to the DROP AAA THX 789?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@desmomusic Don't worry about it. Both that Topping and the THX AAA amp are very good products.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
I am gonna guess you are on the list for the THX 789 and won't get it until later this year? When you get the DX7s, see how it's amp works with your headphones, and if you are happy, you might not even need the 789 amp.

OP
desmomusic

desmomusic

Forum Donor
All good advice. For those who are wondering about sources-- I was thinking:

- Turntable (I do have a preamp) into the single-ended analog input of the 789
- Computer via USB into the Topping (I think that's better than the Mac's optical, right?)
- CD player (if I do it) via Coax or Toslink. Otherwise I can rip and play CDs off the Mac.

It's sounding like the gap isn't that great between the DX7s and some of the newer DACs that rate a bit better. If I can find a buyer for it where I don't lose any money maybe I'll upgrade it but until then I'll stick with it and watch for a sale on the D70 or Sabaj.

For some context I have a setup I'm very happy with in an upstairs living room: Magnepan speakers, psuedo-granite Kenwood turntable, a decent amp, etc. I just realized that I spend a lot more time working in my downstairs home office where I use the headphones. I'd like to have a headphone setup that's great for listening to through the many hours I spend in front of the computer.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
If you do sell the DX7s, besides the D70 and Sabaj D5, there is the SMSL SU-8, $200 for a DAC with balanced output and measurements right up with the best. Would be a great match with the 789, except the colors wouldn't match, lol.

Hipper

Don't buy anymore stuff - yet.

Mess around with what you've got to hear how it sounds.

The adage 'the grass is always greener....' can be true.

With headphones, ideally, you should try and listen both for what they sound like AND comfort.

If you have an unusual problem, in the treble as you say, perhaps some tone controls or equaliser might be useful.

Top Bottom