• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pull the trigger on $459 SMSL SU-9 or other?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need integrated BT for the wife and remote control. My library is PCM, don't care about MQA, could play around with DSD...

lherrm

That or Soncoz SGD1 or Gustard X16. All competent enough, choose the one with versatility (inputs, output, etc.), design, ... that suit you the most.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I need integrated BT for the wife and remote control. My library is PCM, don't care about MQA, could play around with DSD...
The SU-9 looks great, but if you don't want MQA then you could get a cheaper DAC with similar functionality. Topping D50s comes to mind.

OP
Jinjuku

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The SU-9 looks great, but if you don't want MQA then you could get a cheaper DAC with similar functionality. Topping D50s comes to mind.

I should have mentioned my setup uses XLR.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the SMSL. I'll let you all know how it goes.

The upshot is I purchased my DC-1 almost 6 years ago for $300 and I just sold it for $429... I just needed something with BT built in.

Last edited:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I should have mentioned my setup uses XLR.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the SMSL. I'll let you all how it goes.

The upshot is I purchased my DC-1 almost 6 years ago for $300 and I just sold it for $429... I just needed something with BT built in.
Sorry. XLR definitely rules out the D50s. As I say, I really do like the look of the SU-9. I'm sure that it will work out for you.

PACSman

I bought the SMSL DA-8s a few months ago and was amazed by the performance. I just purchased the SU-8 and connected with XLR. Again, I'm amazed.

I considered the SU-9 but couldn't talk myself into paying for the MQA. I have the Blue Note MQA collection and think it sounds fine when reproduced with MQA but I prefer DSD. So, MQA isn't important to me yet. My dollars go into DAPs and Headphones.

The DA-8s/SU-8 is for my near-field AudioEngine HDP6 (not-very-efficient) monitors in my home office. Perfect for my needs.

OP
Jinjuku

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought the SMSL DA-8s a few months ago and was amazed by the performance. I just purchased the SU-8 and connected with XLR. Again, I'm amazed.

I considered the SU-9 but couldn't talk myself into paying for the MQA. I have the Blue Note MQA collection and think it sounds fine when reproduced with MQA but I prefer DSD. So, MQA isn't important to me yet. My dollars go into DAPs and Headphones.

The DA-8s/SU-8 is for my near-field AudioEngine HDP6 (not-very-efficient) monitors in my home office. Perfect for my needs.

I definitely looked at the SU-8. But the wife needs BT and I wanted something with a decent sized display. So those were two items I didn't want to negotiate on.

I sold my DC-1 for $429 so that brings my net price to $49.

Since I setup another room for my 2.0 I found myself not using my headphones. So that need went away with the DC-1. I hope I haven't made a mistake :)

Top Bottom