• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PSI monitors

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Some custom 3-way from Roger Quested with JBL woofer, ATC superdome and Audax tweeter. When properly engineered, such combination might still sound very good. For sure, they will not be SOTA now and amount of qualified labor for good result will make commercial price prohibitive.
Current Quested designs looks very reminiscent, but check prices...
Looks like another "drivers stuck onto the completely flat baffle of a square wooden box" speakers, from the video. Not interesting in the least and certainly not good, considering the listening distance and thus the possible importance of directivity.
Once again, let us wonder how these speakers would sell solely based on their marketing without the brand name (e.g. in a country where they're not very known).

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Those measurements don't really look every impressive. Why would anyone buy this over Genelec, Neumann or even the Dutch&Dutch C8 studio?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The older Quested S8 was measured by Sound & Recording, not really good, even more for their price:

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Psi are much more popular than Quested on GS, I rarely see them even mentioned there, but PSI are considered one of the best

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
another "drivers stuck onto the completely flat baffle of a square wooden box" speakers, from the video
It's bad, but if you have good speaker designer, active crossover and unlimited cost of this box, you can achieve very nice on-axis FR and decent distortion numbers. Old-school brutforce design concept.
Of course, cast alu or composite baffle with computer modelling will be better.

Why would anyone buy this over Genelec, Neumann or even the Dutch&Dutch C8 studio?
Personal preferences. Please don't forget that it's just a tool for customers, and they evaluate their results with equipment, not just measurements.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Personal preferences. Please don't forget that it's just a tool for customers, and they evaluate their results with equipment, not just measurements.
If I buy a tool I buy the one most suitable for the job. So I'd get something with accurate sound reproduction.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fresh PSI A21-M measurements by Sound & Recording:

A21M-SPI-580x353.png

A21M-FRE-580x433.pngA21M-hor-580x357.pngA21M-ver-580x357.pngA21M-MAX-580x434.pngA21M-MLT-580x432.pngA21M-CMP-580x441.pngA21M-PHA-580x421.pngA21M-SPC-580x435.png

Source: https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/psi-a21-m-grosser-nahfeldmonitor-im-test/

YSC

Major Contributor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
nice looking one, the only thing I would desire more is the directivity error at 2-3khz, with the use of obvious waveguide I was hoping it got a bit better
Yes, measurements are decent, on the other side though the pair price of 6k€ is in my opinion too high for such a 2-way monitor.

FeddyLost

Fresh PSI A21-M measurements by Sound & Recording:
Disappointing as expected.
Crossing these drivers at 2,4 KHz is too oldschool.
Actually, I think that they have to redesign A17 and A21 completely for long ago as most affordable and popular models, but they started from 3-ways due to some reasons.
I've downloaded specsheets from their site for different A21 - M3,M4,M5,Ms1,Ms2 and I've seen almost no difference.
Only distortion peak at 200 Hz is removed, no significant improvements in distortion curve.
with the use of obvious waveguide
from the times of Studer A3 presented in 1998.
Decent modern waveguide like Neumann uses would be very beneficial, but if engineer decided that THD < 1.4% (90Hz-12kHz) @ 90 Db/m is enough, then why should they change 25YO design?
I've mentioned that once I've read unedited impressions from reviewer, testing A21s as ordinary almost fullrange speakers, results was mediocre. Most probably due to their distortion of midwoofer. Below is official specs @ 90 Db/m. I'd say that if you are going over this SPL, mids will be messy.
1672310566955.png

on the other side though the pair price of 6k€ is in my opinion too high
A lot of strong competitors now present on the market.
Unfortunately, they are too small and boutique type company, so R&D investments leading to crucial redesign of shoebox-like nearfields would return ... never.

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Actually, I think that they have to redesign A17 and A21 completely for long ago as most affordable and popular models, but they started from 3-ways due to some reasons.
I've downloaded specsheets from their site for different A21 - M3,M4,M5,Ms1,Ms2 and I've seen almost no difference.
Only distortion peak at 200 Hz is removed, no significant improvements in distortion curve.

Decent modern waveguide like Neumann uses would be very beneficial, but if engineer decided that THD < 1.4% (90Hz-12kHz) @ 90 Db/m is enough, then why should they change 25YO design?

Unfortunately, they are too small and boutique type company, so R&D investments leading to crucial redesign of shoebox-like nearfields would return ... never.
psi-audio-a25-m-4781595.jpeg
A25-Ms2_Side_Red-r8b.png

Maybe their bigger models are better

FeddyLost

Maybe their bigger models are better
A25 Ms3 with EXD mid is much cleaner as expected from midfields or wannabe-mains
1672311136525.png

From 500 Hz and up below 0,3% at 90 db/m. With 30 YO technologies it's impressive.
But price is also impressive.
And inevitable vertical directivity issues.

Hmast

I still love my A17s though :p
Genelec 8351B + sub are on the way. Hopefuly I can share how I feel when comparing PSI vs Gen sound in this thread in a couple of weeks. Send me a PM in a month if I forget to post here and you're interested.
Of course A17 and 8351 are not on the same price range and we can't expect much bass on the A17s, yet I'm sure I can compare many subjective parameters between the 2.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I still love my A17s though :p
Genelec 8351B + sub are on the way. Hopefuly I can share how I feel when comparing PSI vs Gen sound in this thread in a couple of weeks. Send me a PM in a month if I forget to post here and you're interested.
Of course A17 and 8351 are not on the same price range and we can't expect much bass on the A17s, yet I'm sure I can compare many subjective parameters between the 2.
Waiting for it, thanks

FeddyLost

Of course A17 and 8351 are not on the same price range and we can't expect much bass on the A17s, yet I'm sure I can compare many subjective parameters between the 2
It would be interesting especially if you cut off excessive LF of 8351s.
I don't mean full EQing on-axis to similarity, but LF extension and slope should be identical for proper comparison. With same basic SPL, of course.

Hmast

The picture is very small but it's enough to see the speakers are sexy. I think PSI is the best we can find on the planet when it comes to old design full analog speakers. (at a given size indeed)

Hmast

Just thought I would share my new a23m psi- e15 rythmik setup, extremely happy with it btw
What speakers did you have previously?

Anyway, with such corners and a small room, the bass must not be missing!

james57

What speakers did you have previously?

Anyway, with such corners and a small room, the bass must not be missing!
fyi I use to have a setup with 1gen B&W matrix 804 and amp Celeste audio 4070 ( now know under Simaudio), bass is good although I have a nasty 45-50Hz that I tried to correct with my sub crossed at 150 Hz and peq. Curve (1-12 smoothing) is not flat but thats the best I can do with one peq no eq and a few accoustic panels
Capture d’écran 2022-12-29 122740.png

Last edited:

Martijn W

I've mentioned that once I've read unedited impressions from reviewer, testing A21s as ordinary almost fullrange speakers, results was mediocre. Most probably due to their distortion of midwoofer. Below is official specs @ 90 Db/m. I'd say that if you are going over this SPL, mids will be messy.
View attachment 253215

this is an old model of the a21.

i don’t understand how neumann can have such a good reputation on this forum and PSI not. i believe everybody who has worked on PSI will acknowledge the excellent value and quality of PSI monitoring solutions.

It amazes me how much more transparant PSI A21-M (V4) reproduces the midrange than Neumann KH 310.

i own both and know them pretty well.
i could not believe as psi a21-m is a 2-way monitor with 8” midwoofer and neumann kh 310 has a separate midrange dome driver. but midrange is veiled compared to the PSI.

Also PSI high is more natural. neumann sounds chemical/artificial in comparison.

bass is actually good on both. psi more spacious, neumann more dry.
both very revealing in their own way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom