• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

PSI AVAA

Purité Audio

Major Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Patreon Donor
I have made some in one room, I just want to measure their effect in our other room, but it looks like four units would be a minimum in our 6 x4 metre room.
Keith

pos

Patreon Donor
It cancels it, so you can consider it turns it into heat, depending on the efficiency of the AVAA :D

I added a few photographs to the PSI page,
https://www.puriteaudio.co.uk/weiss

measurements and that all so important subjective impression to follow.
Keith
Any updated? It'd be interesting to understand the advantages / disadvantages of bass traps vs AVAA-C20 vs multiple subs. I get that it's impractical to have bass traps for very low frequencies (although perhaps Helmholtz traps will work) but - other than plug-and-play - am unsure as to what the AVAA-C20 delivers that cannot be done with well set-up subs. Is the value in ease of set-up? Or is there something else?

Purité Audio

Major Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Patreon Donor
Well they do work, but you probably need at lest four of them, which is going to be expensive.
They are neat though, far less intrusive than resonators/membranes etc.
Keith

Well they do work, but you probably need at lest four of them, which is going to be expensive.
They are neat though, far less intrusive than resonators/membranes etc.
Keith
What, given this, is the advantage over adding multiple sub-woofers? I guess that it's better decay time?

Purité Audio

Major Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Patreon Donor
I already use Modex tuned membrane, for the specific ( length ) room mode.
The science is sound I believe, I wanted to see what they would do.
Keith

Purité Audio

Major Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Patreon Donor

Bjorn

No, they aren't cheap but cost much less than the AVAA bass trap. My point was that with cost of the AVAA you can buy several Modex Plates, address a much broader frequency area and the end result would in most cases be better.

The AVAA should be more effective at one frequency though, since it's active and can be dialed in. But addressing only one or two very shallow areas is seldom a good way to treat a small room since you have multiple room modes. Broadband is almost always a better way.

The Modex Corner probably doesn't work very well by the way, because it's not covering enough surface. And I alsways recommend the larger Modex Module (120x60 cm) over the smaller one (60x60 cm). People often forget that wavelengths have size when treating a room.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Purité Audio General Audio Discussions 1
Purité Audio Speakers, Headphones and Room Acoustics 30