• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PSB Alpha P5 Speaker Review

TomJ

Look at what is coming out of the rear port (orange). That peak is so high that it pushes the on-axis response up with it.
Thanks Amir for this detailed analysis of the port resonances, very helpful. There's a simple fix: use port plugs to suppress the resonances, then compensate for LF by moving the speakers closer to the wall plus some bass EQ if needed.

That worked really well for the Alpha AM5 powered version (incl USB DAC, AptX, Hypex, DSP EQ, filtered sub out) that I bought last summer for my office. They sound better in my room with port plugs and are a terrific value at $500/pr new (sale price).
Good thing the tweeter is at the bottom because you want to keep your ears at a positive angle to it.
Of course. The inverted layout is by design, likewise in his new Synchrony B200.

cheers, Tom

Last edited:

GabrielPhoto

I wanted to get this P5 as Atmos speakers because they are not too heavy so I can swap with my POLK OWM3 since they have the same threaded insert. I like that they have more bass than similar speakers so I can crossover at 80Hz and still have a fuller sounding speaker than the Polk or smaller atmos speakers that sound to thin for my taste.
I was wondering about the comment regarding the tweeter. Does that mean I want to point the tweeter lower than normal when pointing to the MLP?
Thanks

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was wondering about the comment regarding the tweeter. Does that mean I want to point the tweeter lower than normal when pointing to the MLP?
Ideally, you should correct the frequency response with EQ.
If that's not an option, then you should angle the speaker so that the reference axis (the tweeter) is ~20 degrees below ear height.

GabrielPhoto

Ideally, you should correct the frequency response with EQ.
If that's not an option, then you should angle the speaker so that the reference axis (the tweeter) is ~20 degrees below ear height.
I am hoping Audyssey will fix that for me but not sure how to measure it since I cant figure out a way to make REW trigger my Atmos :/

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am hoping Audyssey will fix that for me but not sure how to measure it since I cant figure out a way to make REW trigger my Atmos :/
Above the transition frequency, you should EQ the speaker based on the anechoic measurement, not the in-room response.
You can find an EQ profile for the P5 if you follow the first link in my signature.

GabrielPhoto

Above the transition frequency, you should EQ the speaker based on the anechoic measurement, not the in-room response.
You can find an EQ profile for the P5 if you follow the first link in my signature.
Thanks for the info. Pardon my ignorance but is that meant for some specific piece of gear to EQ like one of those MiniDSP things, or maybe something I can use in my Denon 4400h even?
Thanks again!

PS I see there is one for my RC263 as well, so I am very intrigued into how to incorporate this to my setup.

Last edited:

GabrielPhoto

Those are filters for any tool that supports parametric EQ. I'm not familiar with the 4400H, so I can't tell you if it falls into that category.
I will research for Parametric EQs to add one to my system. If you have any recommendations, please let me know as well.
Thanks for the help!

GabrielPhoto

If I mounted this for Atmos would it be best to mount tweeter at the bottom or instead sideways?
Cause I saw a video of an installer stating that you want atmos bookshelves like this installed horizontally since they have a wider horizontal than vertical diatersion when installed vertically.
I can see the benefits of a wider horizontal dispersion directed towards the listener (by mounting the speaker horizontally) but then I see also more reflections hitting the ceiling and also less dipsersion to the sides to connect with the other speakers, if that makes sense.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those are the ones I have lost actually. They barely return my emails if at all. All other requests such as samples to measure have been turned down.
For those who don't know. The reference to Northridge, CA is Harman. The brand that aces all of the ASR scrutiny and it's strictly based on science. And why/how did they end up excommunicating Amir?

Not sure if Amir himself knows for sure. But I can take a guess.

First, here is something we all should know about the HiFi industry: it is a very fragile ecosystem. Everyone plays a role to keep the machine running, manufacturers from big names to small (excluding Chinese Brands, they too throws the ecosystem out of balance), reviewers, distributors, dealers, HiFi shows, and yes, snake oil brands too, along with audiophools, ahem, I meant consumers.

This ecosystem keeps products being developed and bring to market, reviewers never have negative reviews, they get ad revenue, audiophools keep buying, snake oil brands keep adding voodoo diluting any common sense, reviewers legitimizes snake oil voodoo, audiophools gets excited and buys, dealers and distributors keep selling. Products are exchanged daily, the market is very vibrant. Everyone is happy, especially audiophools.

Then comes ASR with their stupid NFS and AP. . . voodoo disinfected with science and engineering, audiophools enlightened, manufacturers don't have the chops to engineered good products and overpriced products are revealed to be sh_tty products. Reviewers who wrote verbal diarrhea on sh_tty products are now made clowns, enlightened consumers returning sh_tty products, dealers and distributors losing money. Snake oil companies are now the butt of all jokes. Amir and the Chinese Brands disturbed this very fragile ecosystem and pissed everyone off.

Amir is now persona non grata.

I am so sorry to hear this Amir. It really sucks to be in your shoes, but thank you for sticking to the mission.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And I am very sadden that a PSB product is this bad and a ding on Paul's association with the NRC research and with Dr. Toole. Perhaps, Paul just couldn't justify much R&D into a product of this price point?

Top Bottom