• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PSA Paypal and Audiogon and USAudiomart, selling and shipping tips (use PayPal shipping for better rates)

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Been meaning to share this in some way and remembered today.

Many folks here also list stuff on Audiogon and USAudiomart.
Use PayPal shipping, generate your labels in PayPal not Audiogon or a personal account!

Unless you have access to a well negotiated corporate rate, PayPal shipping is much cheaper than the above.
In fact the savings makes having to pay a PayPal fee for a legitimate sale no big deal because you will save on the associated shipping.
So take PayPal at Audiogon, USAudiomart and here on ASR and stop trying to save a few bucks with "Friends and family" when dealing with people who are not actually those folks.

Examples
I sold monitor sized speakers today on Audiogon, they wanted 102.xx for UPS shipping with value and signature.
Via the PayPal transaction page it was $55 for the same.

The larger pair I sold a few months ago at Audiogon, on site they wanted over $14x.xx
Via the PayPal transaction page it was $95 for the same services.

Seriously different, Audiogon is either profiting on top or did not negotiate a very sweet rate for its clientele.
But whatever, just FYI to make the shipping easier to swallow.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good idea, on ebay they have good negotiated rates, but only for those transactions. I tried the Capitol one FedEx discount account, but the 3 times I tried they just quoted counter rates (retail) and ebay and Paypal rates were much cheaper.

raindance

Major Contributor
Thanks so much for this! I've been struggling to sell stuff lately due to crazy high shipping rates. I'll test it tonight.

MCH

Major Contributor
Oohhh ive never heard of such a thing. Does that paypal shipping exist in Europe?

Chaconne

What carrier does the actual shipping? Or can you specify (i.e., FedEx, USPS, etc.)?

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’m thinking of selling a pair of floorstanders that weigh about 100lbs each. So has to go freight, and strapped to a pallet maybe 230lbs shipping weight. What’s the best option?

cheardone

Been meaning to share this in some way and remembered today.

Many folks here also list stuff on Audiogon and USAudiomart.
Use PayPal shipping, generate your labels in PayPal not Audiogon or a personal account!

Unless you have access to a well negotiated corporate rate, PayPal shipping is much cheaper than the above.
In fact the savings makes having to pay a PayPal fee for a legitimate sale no big deal because you will save on the associated shipping.
So take PayPal at Audiogon, USAudiomart and here on ASR and stop trying to save a few bucks with "Friends and family" when dealing with people who are not actually those folks.

Examples
I sold monitor sized speakers today on Audiogon, they wanted 102.xx for UPS shipping with value and signature.
Via the PayPal transaction page it was $55 for the same.

The larger pair I sold a few months ago at Audiogon, on site they wanted over $14x.xx
Via the PayPal transaction page it was $95 for the same services.

Seriously different, Audiogon is either profiting on top or did not negotiate a very sweet rate for its clientele.
But whatever, just FYI to make the shipping easier to swallow.
Good tip. Using Shipstation thru PayPal is much cheaper. But keep in mind when you accumulate $600 in sales each year using Paypal goods and services they are now required to issue a 1099 to the IRS.

OP
R

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Good tip. Using Shipstation thru PayPal is much cheaper. But keep in mind when you accumulate $600 in sales each year using Paypal goods and services they are now required to issue a 1099 to the IRS.
True, though for most folks there is zero profit and actually losses so while taxes need to account for the form no income taxes will be assessed when filling. The IRS likely doesn't even notice missing 1099's unless the dollar amount is pretty high so even if it is absent from tax fillings I guess no one will ever notice (unless you just sold your Grand Utopias or something.)

Top Bottom