• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PSA If you have a 5v dac like the topping E30. How to get better power supply for cheap.

SeriousApple

Here in this article it shows tests of common 5v chargers.
It is concluded in the test that apple chargers are the best in terms of noise and ripple.
http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html
I have been using Apple 5v chargers with my topping D30 and the comparison with my pc usb is much better.
The background is darker and sound feels much cleaner.
e30.jpg

CauliflowerEars

Could someone post photos, exact name or links to the Apple chargers that are good for my DAC placebo sound quality?

There currently seems to be a lot of different Apple chargers and it’s a difficult term to google :/

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A test of chargers showing models was done at:

Either buy direct from Apple, or there was a lot of counterfeit Apple chargers made, so it's a risk to buy used without a tester like this one:

The Samsung ETA0U60JBE was never faked, and a lot cheaper. I use them on my Topping E50 and E30 II. Noisy USB ports on a desktop system was always a problem until I got a Febsmart 2 port USB card, and went to separate power supply for a quiet noise floor.

CauliflowerEars

A test of chargers showing models was done at:

Either buy direct from Apple, or there was a lot of counterfeit Apple chargers made, so it's a risk to buy used without a tester like this one:

The Samsung ETA0U60JBE was never faked, and a lot cheaper. I use them on my Topping E50 and E30 II. Noisy USB ports on a desktop system was always a problem until I got a Febsmart 2 port USB card, and went to separate power supply for a quiet noise floor.
Thank you! Seems I’d either have to go for Apple or find a way to identify the exact European codes of the Samsung and HP.

Can’t find anything by specifying the 700amp. Maybe you have some tips how to find them in Europe?

Svet Angelov

My E30 is connected to a Huawei adapter, I've also had it previously connected to the USB-A DC Out in my Yamaha amp (5v 0.5A) and personally I can't make out a difference.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
for the devices I have i've never needed more than a 1 amp brick and so these things should be littering your house given these are all but useless since they all charge at slow speed

if i buy a $99 smartphone i get a 2 amp charger so i have piles of brand name chargers from apple motorola sony vivo alcatel huawei samsung ie. every phone my extended family buys ends up it the pc room drawers

BUT these would all be rendered unnecessary once you hook it to your pc

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Can’t find anything by specifying the 700amp. Maybe you have some tips how to find them in Europe?

The amperage is a minimum recommendation. PSUs do not push current (normally), but deliver what is asked of them until they reach their limit.

Any 1A standard phone charger from a reputable brand should do the trick.

CauliflowerEars

Any 1A standard phone charger
Thank you. So, I’ve found two versions of the Samsung: 5.0V-2.0A and 5.0V-1.55A.

Is the higher amperage one better? It costs 50% more.
What does it influence anyway?
(Apologies, I’m not an engineer and been a while since I had to use any of such basic knowledge)

Top Bottom