• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PSA: Headphone EQ on Mac OS

Zensō

Major Contributor
Systemwide EQ on Mac OS has always been a bit of a pain to set up. This may not be news to some of you, but the SoundSource audio app on Mac OS has a huge collection of headphone EQ profiles built in, from Oratory1990, Crinacle, Innerfidelity, Rtings, and Headphone.com. It’s easy to set up and it has a lot of other useful functions. I have no affiliation with SoundSource, was just excited to run across this simple solution for EQing headphones on the Mac. https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

B00118A1-B8D1-4AE4-87A7-9388C5C42FC5.jpeg

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been a huge fan of Sound Source and always recommend it on ASR whenever someone inquires about Mac OS related EQ solution.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I'm not sure of this but I believe that the profiles labelled "Oratory1990" are from the AutoEQ database (ie based on Oratory's measurements, but not the actual PEQ settings he recommends). So not the same as oratory's own PEQ profiles, which he prefers to fine-tune by ear.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
So I'm not sure of this but I believe that the profiles labelled "Oratory1990" are from the AutoEQ database (ie based on Oratory's measurements, but not the actual PEQ settings he recommends). So not the same as oratory's own PEQ profiles, which he prefers to fine-tune by ear.
Interesting. I’m wondering how we can find out what they’re using? Maybe I’ll send a note to Soundsource support to see if they’ll confirm either way. If I get an answer I’ll report back here. Thanks.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
I've been a huge fan of Sound Source and always recommend it on ASR whenever someone inquires about Mac OS related EQ solution.
My only complaint is the lack of a robust parametric equalizer for custom profiles. I’d love to see something on the level of what Roon offers with 10 bands and full control of Q and filter shape.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
has a huge collection of headphone EQ profiles built in, from Oratory1990, Crinacle, Innerfidelity, Rtings, and Headphone.com
As others have noted the EQ profiles are based on measurements from Oratory, Crinacle etc. The actual PEQs are from AutoEQ. But you can use your own profiles as well - you don't have to use the built-in AutoEQ profiles.

jae

Major Contributor
Rogue Amoeba makes great software, I always used many of there apps when I used to use a Macbook Pro years ago. We need something like this for Windows, and I've even thought about writing something myself but it would just be too time consuming for me.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 1.34.44 PM.png

I use Q10 PEQ plugin within Sound Source since it allows multiple profiles to be saved for each headphone.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
View attachment 151459

I use Q10 PEQ plugin within Sound Source since it allows multiple profiles to be saved for each headphone.
Nice. I own FabFilter Pro-Q3 which I use as a VST within Ableton Live. I'm going to give it a try with SoundSource.

Theriverlethe

I'll cast another vote in favor of this... I prefer AUNBandEQ to the AutoEQ presets since Oratory1990's settings are much easier to tweak.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Theriverlethe

I was able to get Pro-Q3 working. Thanks again for the tips!View attachment 151470

Oratory1990 recommends against Fabfilter because the filter calculations are different from what he uses. I believe he recommends simpler “bi-quad” filters, but I have no idea how much or if there is any audible difference, depending on the actual gain, frequency and Q.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
Oratory1990 recommends against Fabfilter because the filter calculations are different from what he uses. I believe he recommends simpler “bi-quad” filters, but I have no idea how much or if there is any audible difference, depending on the actual gain, frequency and Q.
Good to know. I did notice the resulting profiles in FF are slightly off from what is shown on his PDFs. The differences appear to be subtle, but I'll have to try a different EQ for comparison.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
Just a follow up FYI, after doing some reading I found out the EQ curves in Pro-Q3 can be made to match Oratory’s curves my multiplying his Q values by 1.414. After doing so the curves match almost perfectly.

EDIT: It’s also important to use the 12db/oct setting.

Last edited:

Theriverlethe

Just a follow up FYI, after doing some reading I found out the EQ curves in Pro-Q3 can be made to match Oratory’s curves my multiplying his Q values by 1.4. After doing so the curves match almost perfectly.

That does look a lot better. Where was your source, if you don't mind posting a link?

hyperknot

Just wanted to bump up this thread with the information that Sound Source can take any custom EQ profile in the .txt format. The same format as used by Equalizer APO / Peace.

They have a knowledge base article explaining how to do it, it's basically a one click import.

Now I'm basically loading my custom Oratory1990 / Optimal Hifi profile in a .txt file and it works wonderfully. No need to purchase any plugin, Sound Source has a built-in 32 band parametric EQ this way.

Top Bottom