• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS5 vs UB9000 vs UB820 - 4K UHD Blu Ray Player

gtoblerone

With the PS5 not supporting Dolby Vision. or HDR10+ is it recommended to not use PS5 as 4k blu ray player?

I have LGC9-77 with Denon 3700x AVR - with KEF650cc, 2 KEF750 towers, 2 KEF150 bookshelf rears, and 2 Onkyo SKH410 Atmos.

With the above set-up should I be investing in a dedicated 4k UHD player?

And if I am just running hdmi from player to 3700 should I go with UB820 or UB9000?

And any better options with my set-up?

Thank you to anyone able to respond.

noname33

Hi there,

I wouldn't bother buying the panasonic ub820 or any other expensive player if you already have a ps5 or any 4k hdr blu ray player that works with your setup. It's not worth the 400+$ getting those 2 features that will give you a 2% increase in video performance that you may not even notice/struggle to see.....according to online side by side comparisons/reviews.
You can always upgrade stuff later anyway. electronics become obsolete and cheaper$ quickly as new model components are released.

You have a very nice setup overall- good selection of components. Adding a good subwoofer to your system would make a big difference overall and improve your audio systems bass capabilities massively. This is especially true since you don't have speakers that are true full range speakers capable of bass in low 20-27hz frequency range. Look at SVS brand-sb 2000 (650$) AND UP models for you system. There's many other good brand subs that would work great also-gotta research. PS- I don't have a subwoofer in my system - but I have large full range towers- definitive technology BP10'and a powerful Denon 4802r rec. that helps.

I'm a different cat though. I have a nice bedroom system. In Nov of 2018, I upgraded to a New Sony x800e 4k 49" tv, bought samsung m8500 4k blu ray player for110$; also have 5 game systems connected tv. In Aug of 2017, I pieced together a surround system(7.0)-1200$ total; off craigslist + ebay -Exc. Cond. Denon 4802r 7.1 receiver(2004 year), Definitive technology speakers- 2 BP10 towers, clr 2002 center and 4 promonitor 1000 Surr. I Use optical digital for all audio. Works great- Dts, dolby digital still very high quality. I still get 4k video too. Ps5 addition-june 11.

Enjoy your very nice setup, add a good subwoofer or even 2 if desired. Best of luck-take care.

Last edited:
Top Bottom