• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Review

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)/Dangerous

Votes: 245 96.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sheesh. Even cats hate PS Audio :D

egellings

Major Contributor
As the owner of the tested device that started this thread, I have some details to provide. It is the "high current" version. I bought it new c.a. 2001. Roughly five years ago it suddenly ceased to pass current. Upon inspection, I discovered that a cat had peed on it, causing the IEC connector to short and burn. I replaced the connector and continued to use it up to the point when I sent it to Amir. I can even now smell the smoke that resulted from that short, and also see the black smoke stains. I believe Amir took this to be evidence of a recent event, understandably.
The ground is continuous through the device, and is connected to the case. There is NO continuity between the hot and ground. However, when powered, I also measure line voltage at the ground, so I assume there's some kind of inductive action going on. Lastly, when long ago the led lighted up, it continued to work. I replaced the blown fuse and the led turned off. None of this seemed to affect its operation.
My circuit tester indicates "hot and neutral reversed."
Hopefully this sheds some light on a confounding situation. Amir, you have my apology for putting you in danger. No one was more surprised than I.
You need to teach your puddy tat to stop whizzing on your electronics.

DonR

Major Contributor
Probably some capacitive coupling on the circuit board due to... ahem... "fluid residue". :p

egellings

Major Contributor
I suspect that that kind of coupling (kitty whizz) would be more resistive in nature, rather than capacitive. Either or, it's still an unwanted electrical path.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect that that kind of coupling (kitty whizz) would be more resistive in nature, rather than capacitive. Either or, it's still an unwanted electrical path.
I can see already some new marketing ahead. „Our products are treated with a special organic coating so even your cat can hear ( ;-) smell) the improvement in sound“

olderman

Forum Donor
I'm guessing it was conducive in order to short out the connector.

blackmetalboon

As PS Audio mains products have had serious issues raised previously I am suprised at the shock (pun intended) here.

The fact that the UK version of two of their products had reversed polarity, even though the manufacturer had a chance to reply but didn’t, tells me all I need to know about PS Audio’s mains products.

kota1

Why does anyone care about a 20 year old power outlet, you can't buy it and ther is MUCH better tech available in outlets today. Check Synergisitc Research or Pangea. Best bang for the buck upgrade because it feeds everything downstream.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That's only because a 2 outlet version costs $1400 or $1700 and has 'Two-Stage Quantum Tunneling treatment'.

DonR

Major Contributor
Why does anyone care about a 20 year old power outlet, you can't buy it and ther is MUCH better tech available in outlets today. Check Synergisitc Research or Pangea. Best bang for the buck upgrade because it feeds everything downstream.
Exactly what is this tech? Can you cite a paper from a peer-reviewed journal?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
OK, I could but it would be better if you just search the net for it. For example the metal used in an outlet can impact its conductivity:

So, I think you may need a little time to adjust to things here. Ignorance combined with attitude isn't going to go well. Take the chance to do some reading, before you feel the need to keep defending this crap.

egellings

Major Contributor
Who cares if "outlet conductivity" varies by a few milli-ohms from one model to the next? What about power cord and power transformer winding resistance, which would completely swamp out such minor variations? It's like worrying about a pin-prick of blood on you thumb while being completely oblivious to the blood gushing out of your slashed carotid artery.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
It wasn't faulty when new. Failures occur in 20 years, and stuff can become dangerous. Consider this has internal surge arrestors (MOVs).

I see it all the time in older gear. It's up to the person using it to either be on top of the risks with vintage electronics, get an expert to test it, or walk away and take the risk with something new.
It's why stuff at work is PAT tested annually.

arichman

I have a PS Audio “Quintessence” Power Center which I held onto despite it’s vintage (2008?) because it looks like a million bucks and has a convenient set up for allocating different banks of outlets as switched or not. Once upon a time you could purchase a module that allowed the user to replace the surge protection of the device, which sounds like a very good idea to me. I had thought given the age of the surge protection circuitry it was by now just a glorified power strip, but apparently it’s not that simple. Bad enough there’s a possible fire hazard, but potential electrocution in the bargain? It’s going into retirement, but if it has forensic value I’d be happy to donate it to the cause.

chesebert

I believe Amir had a defective unit. The unit is relatively simple - it's just an isolation transformer on the inside. There is also a ground wire inside that is supposed to be attached to the case. I have the same unit and I don't have the grounding issue - in other words the ground is not live (I measured with a MM to be sure).

wwenze

Major Contributor
I believe Amir had a defective unit. The unit is relatively simple - it's just an isolation transformer on the inside. There is also a ground wire inside that is supposed to be attached to the case. I have the same unit and I don't have the grounding issue - in other words the ground is not live (I measured with a MM to be sure).
That's a good opportunity then.

I've always wondered if power conditioner sellers have an RMA department and how do they prove their product is not working.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
From what I recall, there are two versions of this unit. Have you confirmed you have the same version I tested?

Top Bottom