• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Review

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)/Dangerous

Votes: 245 96.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

Recluse-Animator

"I would never use shielded cables anywhere near my equipment. It restricts the sound. It just ( Makes fart sound with his mouth ). Don't do it. You don't want it"
"Power cables should be shielded, but only at one end and that's at the wall socket end"

And then he starts to talk about Ray Kimber from Kimber cables.
There was a family who's house burn down and Ray send them a new TV to easy the pain.
"He doesn't look for any kind of recognition"
"Who does this"

I shouldn't watch his videos. It's like watching those shopping channels. I can almost feel my brain cells die.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My mind has gone to a dark place thinking it just may have been modified specifically for you.

Personally knowing who sent it, I'd give a 0% chance for that scenario.

I don't know if it (long ago) was purchased new or used.

I do have to assume it was in use during at least part of the time he owned it.

It could have attracted cat pee, but beyond that, I'd doubt any modification on his part.

He has better things to do, like Shut Up and Play His Guitar.

1663079194361.png

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Personally knowing who sent it, I'd give a 0% chance for that scenario.

I don't know if it (long ago) was purchased new or used.

I do have to assume it was in use during at least part of the time he owned it.

It could have attracted cat pee, but beyond that, I'd doubt any modification on his part.

He has better things to do, like Shut Up and Play His Guitar.

View attachment 230661
Good point and something I overlooked. Thank you for the correction. I deleted my post.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Member has been very apologetic and quite sincere. I have zero doubts about his intentions. I do appreciate the warnings though and is something I will keep in mind in the future. FYI the unit has been shipped to its owner.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

EarlessOldMan

I represented manufacturers in many lawsuits involving failures, or alleged failures, of electrical appliances--typically larger appliances. Any reasonable manufacturer will understand that a product will eventually fail. Moreover, some products will fail earlier in their designed lives than the manufacturer intends (typically because of a defect, not in design, but in manufacturing).

For decades, responsible manufacturers have designed electrical products to ensure that their products will fail safely. They typically achieve such designs by including one-shot devices (thermal fuses). Some products include multiple one-shot devices to ensure that they will fail safely.

The manufacturers with whom I worked all designed their products to meet (and, generally, exceed) applicable ANSI/UL/CSA standards. I suspect that the following standards might apply to this product: UL 1283, Standard for Electromagnetic Interference Filters; UL 1363, Relocatable Power Taps; and UL 1449, Transient Voltage Surge Suppressors.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I represented manufacturers in many lawsuits involving failures, or alleged failures, of electrical appliances--typically larger appliances. Any reasonable manufacturer will understand that a product will eventually fail. Moreover, some products will fail earlier in their designed lives than the manufacturer intends (typically because of a defect, not in design, but in manufacturing).

For decades, responsible manufacturers have designed electrical products to ensure that their products will fail safely. They typically achieve such designs by including one-shot devices (thermal fuses). Some products include multiple one-shot devices to ensure that they will fail safely.

The manufacturers with whom I worked all designed their products to meet (and, generally, exceed) applicable ANSI/UL/CSA standards. I suspect that the following standards might apply to this product: UL 1283, Standard for Electromagnetic Interference Filters; UL 1363, Relocatable Power Taps; and UL 1449, Transient Voltage Surge Suppressors.
You would think PS Audio would be falling all over themselves trying to figure out what goes on with this example. Like, get it back and study it.

EarlessOldMan

If I were working with the company, I'd be thinking about its obligations under Section 15(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Act, 15 U.S.C. sec. 2064.

I'm not stating that the company has any such obligation at this time. I'm stating only that, if I were advising the company, I would want to review available information; form an opinion as to its obligations, if any, under that statute; and inform the company of my conclusions.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I were working with the company, I'd be thinking about its obligations under Section 15(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Act, 15 U.S.C. sec. 2064.

I'm not stating that the company has any such obligation at this time. I'm stating only that, if I were advising the company, I would want to review available information; form an opinion as to its obligations, if any, under that statute; and inform the company of my conclusions.

Thats's some pretty serious stuff. As it should be. A corporation decides to do business in <Select your country.> and they want all the protection that said country provides as well as the marketplace access then they should be responsible to that country.

GianDi

nothing to say about issues with this unit, however it seems to me that PSAudio products are not so loved here.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
nothing to say about issues with this unit, however it seems to me that PSAudio products are not so loved here.
They simply put a filter in a box here, but screwed the job up dangerously. Not that cost would excuse anything, but it's also expensive. I'm not familiar with their advertising etc. but evidently, they purport to be super gurus of the esoteric. They haven't bothered to reply to this thread, for better or worse. Not a pretty picture.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

What's to love?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PS Audio makes some demonstrably good gear. Unfortunately, they also make some useless and even dangerous stuff. Not a good corporate situation IMO.

paulraphael

Looking at the standards for these, back prior to 2005 it was allowed to have an MOV directly connected to the safety ground from the line. It no longer is allowed. You have to have fuses or some other combination of devices between the 3rd pin safety ground and line voltage. PS Audio wasn't unique in this, as I've opened a few similar (though cheaper) devices and back then it usually was a trio of MOV's connecting line, neutral and ground together.

Is there any simple way to check for this faulty design? I have a couple of very old surge suppressors that I've kept because they're a good brand (Isobar) and seem unusually solidly made. Is this a mistake?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any simple way to check for this faulty design? I have a couple of very old surge suppressors that I've kept because they're a good brand (Isobar) and seem unusually solidly made. Is this a mistake?

One of these Receptacle testers will easily and safely let you know if they have developed a fault.

You also can get a fancier version that shows voltage as well as faults plus tests GFCI outlets. Either is available at big box hardware stores as well as online.

This of course doesn't tell you how they are designed. So checking them periodically would be a good idea if you keep them.

egellings

Major Contributor
I liked my job. What I hated was having to get up at 6AM for it, and then spending 45 minutes getting there, covering all of 8 miles, stuck not moving in jammed traffic for most of the ride. Playing beat-the-clock while doing that was a drag. Coming home was not quite as bad because at least the beat-the-clock component was no longer there.

DonR

Major Contributor
I think it has a lot to do with some of the dubious claims made by the company which do not hold up when the products are put under scrutiny. Personally, I think this is not the worst of their products given its age although such products do nothing to improve sound quality in most situations.
If it's more than 10 years old, then the MOVs may have degraded sufficiently to require replacement. You need to test for ground leakage as @Blumlein 88 suggested.

Top Bottom