• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Review

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)/Dangerous

Votes: 245 96.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In a product that is connected to an AC supply line all modes of failure should be considered to prevent the end user from catastrophic events including death. Nothing less than poor engineering and lack of oversight.
Yes. And, if MOVs were to blame, they should have recalled it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is one thing to have a $20 powerstrip with MOVs that could go bad. It is another to sell something like it that costs $440 (in today's dollars) to have any failure issues like this. For that huge premium, it better have had safety measures in there. And importantly, passed regulatory certification.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My point was that the best salesmen don't care one bit how bad a product they sell and what happens to the user because of it.
For example if a old lady with her last money wants to buy a cheap reliable car and the salesman sells her a junker.
True, but the difference here is that these particular shady salesmen are also the designers of their wares. One would hope that simple pride in one’s creations would come with some semblance of integrity, given the amount of legitimate knowledge and effort involved.

But these folks disguise their greed behind the facade of esteemed scientists—they’ve sold out the principles of unfalsifiability in favor of saying anything to sell units, and actively endeavor to silence peer review. The fact that they allow their egos to be stroked by the praise of those they’re conning is gross.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
True, but the difference here is that these particular shady salesmen are also the designers of their wares. One would hope that simple pride in one’s creations would come with some semblance of integrity, given the amount of legitimate knowledge and effort involved.

But these folks disguise their greed behind the facade of esteemed scientists—they’ve sold out the principles of unfalsifiability in favor of saying anything to sell units, and actively endeavor to silence peer review. The fact that they allow their egos to be stroked by the praise of those they’re conning is gross.
Color me cynical, but they may just have some shady company in the far east design and build their stuff for a bargain price. Putting a line filter in a box* shouldn't be a technological achievement.

* without electrocuting anyone

DonR

Major Contributor
It is one thing to have a $20 powerstrip with MOVs that could go bad. It is another to sell something like it that costs $440 (in today's dollars) to have any failure issues like this. For that huge premium, it better have had safety measures in there. And importantly, passed regulatory certification.
When it comes to safety, the price is irrelevant.

Recluse-Animator

Color me cynical, but they may just have some shady company in the far east design and build their stuff for a bargain price. Putting a line filter in a box* shouldn't be a technological achievement.

* without electrocuting anyone
Sadly a customer has no way of knowing if a product is designed or manufactured in-house.

Sonny1

Wow! I’m not surprised, or should I say SHOCKED, because I had one of these a long time ago. Bought it used and sold it for around what I paid so it was a free test. Sold it because it didn’t improve the sound in any way (it did not make it sound worse). I have tried several of these types of devices over the years and none improved the sound, some made it worse or got really hot and concerned me. Chang Lightspeed muffled the sound and I was able to sell it for what I paid.

I didn’t realize I was risking my safety and always assumed a well regarded company like PS would make a safe product. I only had mine for a short time and didn’t open the case or have it hooked up for more than a couple weeks to my system. Glad to hear you and your system are okay.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm hardly a supporter of PS Audio. And this device is over-priced, doesn't make your sound better, etc. However, the idea it is a death trap safety risk is over the top. It is 20 years old. I believe it would have achieved safety certification if submitted when it was made. Millions of cheaper devices are made the same with a trio of delta connected MOV's. This particular unit may have done its job in protecting gear plugged into it at the time. It is dangerous now, but so could many of those millions of other devices be in a similar manner. I've found a few old ones with this same issue.

What this thread usefully shows someone, is any of these older units with just MOV's probably should be replaced every few years or at least checked out from time to time. The unit could not currently get safety certification even if it were working. The unit almost surely wasn't carrying 120 volts on the safety ground when it was new.

Over the top posts about it do not really come off as a good look for the credibility of ASR. At a bare minimum this is a sacrificial protective device 20 years old. Maybe getting in touch with someone acquainted with current protective devices of a credible nature would be a good public service thread to do on ASR. A $6 surge protection power strip and this over priced $299 unit form 20 years ago are equally a safety hazard. There are millions of those $6 units still around, and maybe a few hundred of these from PS Audio.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I should add that I am 99% sure the safety earth pin is connected to the case on the unit. This means that the only thing keeping me from getting electric shock, was the thin layer of paint!!!
That is just insane.
How do these products get onto the market?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
However, the idea it is a death trap safety risk is over the top.
??? As it sits, it most definitely is a death trap. No customer of this product ever expects this condition no matter how old. I see no reason a device like this should energize the safety ground. Lose MOV protection, yes. Have the MOV blow up, yes. But not energize safety ground.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A $6 surge protection power strip and this over priced $299 unit form 20 years ago are equally a safety hazard.
??? No, those devices have a common safety ground between input and output. This box does not. I checked with the meter and the grounding pin on the output outlets is NOT connected to input ground. This is just wrong and will not pass any code or safety standard. You can't create a localized ground this way.

The only allowance I would have here is that maybe somebody modified it or something has become disconnected. But not on the basis you are talking about.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The internal safety ground wire between the inlet and outlets is broken/open circuit or missing.
On the pictures on the internet there should be a green wire from back to front.
It can break of, can be 'forgotten' to connect or even present during production.

Of course, when this can happen to Amir (and he has shown it did) it can happen to anyone and the very last thing we want is mains being present on metal parts we can touch opposite ground. So there is that.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
??? No, those devices have a common safety ground between input and output. This box does not. I checked with the meter and the grounding pin on the output outlets is NOT connected to input ground. This is just wrong and will not pass any code or safety standard. You can't create a localized ground this way.

The only allowance I would have here is that maybe somebody modified it or something has become disconnected. But not on the basis you are talking about.
I missed that fact. If the third pin is not connected from outlet to inlet, then a different story. Yet this is a 20 year old device. If the owner agreed, some investigation is in order. As solderdude posted, pictures of the inside show what looks to be a green ground wire. So even now, I don't think tar and feathering PS Audio on a device this old and apparently not functioning properly makes much sense. It is dangerous as it is, but why is it that way? Was it made that way?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like it has 3rd pin grounding from this photo from the manual. How does it have 120 volts on that without blowing the fuse? Over the years that wire could have slipped loose. This is one like you tested with the Power port. The other version is different inside with no pcb board, and a potted transformer or balun. With an isolated ground plug on the front it may be that the third pin isn't connected to the cover. Though you'd think it would be at the rear on that plug.

1662963546030.png

Last edited:

pma560

Is there a line conditioner/filter that does work?

(still digging through the reviews, maybe all of them will say they're not necessary)

I was looking for one a few years back, after finding my AC is not a beautiful sine wave :oops:
At least good to see that amirm's looks the same :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a line conditioner/filter that does work?

(still digging through the reviews, maybe all of them will say they're not necessary)

I was looking for one a few years back, after finding my AC is not a beautiful sine wave :oops:
At least good to see that amirm's looks the same :)

Basically your power supply is a good filter.

If you just want it cleaned a little, I know you'll hate this, but the PS Audio PS12 works. Doesn't work as well as the half as expensive B&K lab supply. And none really clean up the result from gear you plug into it. See Amir's review here:

pma560

Basically your power supply is a good filter.

If you just want it cleaned a little, I know you'll hate this, but the PS Audio PS12 works. Doesn't work as well as the half as expensive B&K lab supply. And none really clean up the result from gear you plug into it. See Amir's review here:
Thanks for the pointers.

At the time I got a DC blocker to at least get rid of the hum in a wall wart transformer.
(but now this blocker has conked out :| )

Not sure it's an issue though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly a customer has no way of knowing if a product is designed or manufactured in-house.
That's true. If a company has proper quality control, it shouldn't matter a lot.

Top Bottom