• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Stellar Review (Phono Preamplifier)

LarryRS

Many pages of discussion, beginning with a test of a piece of audio equipment with no mention of the goal of the product (i.e., listening to music). It took a while to slog through all of the comments but, in the end, it was edifying. I now know, at last, why the vast majority of the contributors to ASR discussions criticize phono reproduction and all of its elements so vigorously. All of their comments emulate nothing more closely than a broken record.

pinpoint_oxford

Many pages of discussion, beginning with a test of a piece of audio equipment with no mention of the goal of the product (i.e., listening to music). It took a while to slog through all of the comments but, in the end, it was edifying. I now know, at last, why the vast majority of the contributors to ASR discussions criticize phono reproduction and all of its elements so vigorously. All of their comments emulate nothing more closely than a broken record.
I presume most people on this review would understand the purpose of a phono preamplifier, menioning the goal of the device would be the same as every other phono preamp more or less.

Records are, at best they are a great analog medium with some flaws, and at worst a far inferior way of listening to music than digital. Moreover (reel-to-reel aside) records are the most expensive way to listen to music, between they extra equipment and cost of records.

That said, I like records. A lot of folks like records, despite their flaws. Do they sound better than digital? I think they can (and often do), but as you mention, perhaps many people on this forum disagree. That's okay too.

jkabz

Aside from the KORF blog, I don't know of anybody is looking objectively at how to improve playing back records. Does anybody have good resources to check out here?
New user here, reading some old posts :)
Thanks for the link to this KORF group, very good info.
Check out WallyTools...yes I know the day is too short for all of this lol.
But these guys make really good alignment products and provide vast instructional media.

Top Bottom