• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Stellar Review (Phono Preamplifier)

DSJR

Major Contributor
I dropped external phono stages after using the MM input of my audiolab 6000a. Running a p6 with exact. Its quieter than the cambridge solo, dj art and schitt mani.
Other than noise i notice no difference in sound between stages.
PLEASE be very well aware of the extreme character of your Exact cartridge ;)

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. Nice to see a phono stage, and a recommendation for PS Audio.

I agree with comments about dip switches. I don't like them, especially on something over $200 (Genelec).

For those talking digital, I have run my turntable right into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and (with help from another member) done the EQ in software. And as mentioned, there is the Parks Puffin.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow, so much money for such bad SINAD, 30-40 dB lower than cheap AVR's that offer so much higher fidelity. I understand the nostalgia of an antique medium like vinyl, but not why anyone would pay exorbitantly high prices for such low performance. If I compare it to other industries, it would be like paying four times the price for a car that is much slower, handles and rides much worse, etc etc.( I understand this might be true for certain classic cars but we arguably are getting value in some way for this case). Usually when you pay more for a car or most other things, there is *some* sort of return, either in looks, prestige, power, handling, performance, quality, etc. Not so in the audiophile world. Strange.

milosz

Forum Donor
We REALLY need a series of measurements of actual vinyl playback!!! C'mon Amirm, you are up to the task!

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

nyxnyxnyx

Wow, so much money for such bad SINAD, 30-40 dB lower than cheap AVR's that offer so much higher fidelity. I understand the nostalgia of an antique medium like vinyl, but not why anyone would pay exorbitantly high prices for such low performance. If I compare it to other industries, it would be like paying four times the price for a car that is much slower, handles and rides much worse, etc etc.( I understand this might be true for certain classic cars but we arguably are getting value in some way for this case). Usually when you pay more for a car or most other things, there is *some* sort of return, either in looks, prestige, power, handling, performance, quality, etc. Not so in the audiophile world. Strange.
I think you are being *too* rational in a realm we might call hobby, especially one that is supposed to be filled with at least a certain amount of subjectivism.
I agree about your following points but I think you placed your question in the wrong direction, not one most people in this hobby would take.

Now imagine this: Why would someone pay such a big amount of money for any watches when a typical watch can still do the job almost flawlessly? Why would someone spend millions on a painting of two bananas and a sad lady sitting by the fire? Why would someone [do X thing] with [X activity/hobby/field] when there are indeed [rationally better options in many logical aspects]?

There can be many reasons for that, but my take is that they don't care much about "returning value" (Not to mention you hit the threshold of diminishing return really quick with audio gears anyway) in the sense of what you mentioned. Your analogy about spending more for slower cars is sufficient, and it does have some truth in it. Generally, people mainly buy it based on their feelings, personal experiences (whether right or wrong), hearsays from trusted individuals, and so on. Full-blown rationality is not always highly prioritized in a hobby, so I think you need to separate people who buy gears just to enjoy and have fun with it, and people who actually want to chase the most objectively optical devices for other uses.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
We REALLY need a series of measurements of actual vinyl playback!!! C'mon Amirm, you are up to the task!
A few of us have done some work on this. Test records are the biggest problem we would need to solve. No one really makes a good one for measuring gear.

Loading differences also make standardization difficult.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We REALLY need a series of measurements of actual vinyl playback!!...
Really?
What is that going to tell you?
SINAD is -80dB; Response is +/-1dB; Separation is 40dB.
Is that gonna make you sleep any better or are you willing to get poopoo'd by the digital crowd?
Or will it make you enjoy your current rig less and force you to a$pire for higher audio bli$$?
You already know the answers; which lie between your ears and consider just enjoying them w/o the #s.

levimax

Major Contributor
Really?
Is that gonna make you sleep any better or are you willing to get poopoo'd by the digital crowd?
Or will it make you enjoy your current rig less and force you to a$pire for higher audio bli$$?
You already know the answers; which lie between your ears and consider just enjoying them w/o the #s.

Really?
From what I have seen/ measured (imperfect test records) is more like SINAD -40 dB and separation <-30 dB. It would be interesting to see Amir measurements but as mentioned test records are a big problem.

robpbg

why does anyone need a phono preamp?
qobuz, apple music etc.
I just don't get it.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some people like vinyl. Some of them do so in the full knowledge of its technical limitations and are under no illusions as to how the measured performance compares with digital. If people like it then they like it and may want an amp with a phono stage. We all like what we like. Personally I don't have a turntable and have zero interest in getting one but I get why others like vinyl.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
The fact that DSP outperforms an analog preamp shows there is no need for new releases on vinyl. Most new vinyl releases use digital masters anyway. What's the point of adding a huge chain of extra steps between the master and playback when you can just play back the digital master though a DAC?
Few reasons..

- For the industry, vinyl LP's are the fastest growing sector. What makes dollars, makes sense.

Personally -
- I like to support the artists/industry. Not sure what the margins are on a packaged LP vs digital download vs CD (probably less) but definitely higher than the few cents they get for listening to them on Spotify etc. I try to buy directly from the artists online or a local music shop...
- I like the experience. Shopping in a music store. Talking to people about music. The included foldouts, lyric sheets, and artist credits...listening to every song without skipping around..it creates a more in depth experience and connection with the music as you listen.
- While many modern recordings are digital masters, many modern artists are now properly re-mastering for vinyl pressing, and this is something one should look for when shopping..
- I own a bunch of modern music on vinyl record, and some are definitely not great, but some, like Childish Gambino's 2016 Awaken, My Love, Durand Jones and the Indications self titled album, or My Morning Jacket's newly remixed release of It Still Moves are riveting releases.
-
Some genres, i.e. electronic music, are digital download or LP. If you want a physical copy, you're getting the LP.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
This topic has been covered to death elsewhere on the forum.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Really?
I don't know about objective measurements from a test record, but I think one could make the case for a subjective comparison like done for headphone amp measurements. Could be difficult for @amirm to do as he probably doesn't have multiple phono stages laying around to test against. However, if he had a reference phono stage (Cambridge Duo, since it rules the almighty SINAD list) he could perhaps do an A/B of the tested phono stage with a reference album. But then again, that's a lot of work, and not sure he wants to add to his list.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the digital argument is more a rebuttal to those who still claim digital cannot replicate an analogue wave form, because it is a really coarse bar chart...... If music is produced using digital it destroys that argument. And a lot of people now use wireless speakers with turntables, kind of defeating the object if it is about the superiority of analogue.

robpbg

I have a problem with this vinyl thing.
if this is supposed to be a site about objective stuff and you toss in vinyl, it's all headless panthers that should be eviscerated.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It should not be assumed that understanding and valuing objective indicators is incompatible with indulging subjective preferences. Many people like things despite knowing that they are technically sub-standard relative to alternatives.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a problem with this vinyl thing.
if this is supposed to be a site about objective stuff and you toss in vinyl, it's all headless panthers that should be eviscerated.
No, no! You don't have a "problem"; you just fail to understand "this vinyl thing".
Would it be rude to ask if you have ever sat down (or wutevr) to audition that kinda joy-of-music?
The "vinyl thing" (as most finer things in life) do not have to be all about just the objectivity; as long as you don't get too hung up on the 'price thing' or the 'numbers thing'...
Nobody probably would have heard [ummmmmmm...] Stravinski, if it was not for recorded music... eventhough he was booed off stage in France once!

Top Bottom