• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Stellar Review (Phono Preamplifier)

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But wouldn't you do this later in the chain where it can apply to all sources? You're correcting the speaker-room interface, aren't you?
You have to apply the RIAA curve too. Therefore you can do it all at once with a vinyl specific DSP. Then you get an exact match to the curve too.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have to apply the RIAA curve too. Therefore you can do it all at once with a vinyl specific DSP. Then you get an exact match to the curve too.

The RIAA curve is MUCH easier to implement electrically, it's of that era after all.

Infact if you search online for a combination of PEQ filters to use as a substitute for RIAA you might not find what you're looking for.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The RIAA curve is MUCH easier to implement electrically, it's of that era after all.

Infact if you search online for a combination of PEQ filters to use as a substitute for RIAA you might not find what you're looking for.
Well, any phono stage is going to have the EQ built in, so a PEQ filter for it wouldn't make sense since it would have to modified to take into account what the phono stage already does.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, any phono stage is going to have the EQ built in, so a PEQ filter for it wouldn't make sense since it would have to modified to take into account what the phono stage already does.

no it doesn't have to take it into account because the output of a phono stage RIAA equalization should be flat like Amir shows.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's like that guy advertising his window-blinds by saying "It is not a decision between getting blinds or sending your kid(s) to college!"
That assumes that you already own that house, and have already paid off the debts for your kid(s) braces and smartphone.
Lemme do the math quick-like: $2,500 (phono preamp) + $5,000 (proper turntable) + $2,000 (proper tonearm) + $1,200 (proper Koetsu), but the dust has not even settled yet...
Forget the calculator!
It seems that the likelihood chance of my kid(s) graduating from college is a much wiser ROI choice... in the hopes that someday they may gift me this system, if LP records are not in that depository where the abacus lie.

CedarX

Forum Donor
It's like that guy advertising his window-blinds by saying "It is not a decision between getting blinds or sending your kid(s) to college!"
That assumes that you already own that house, and have already paid off the debts for your kid(s) braces and smartphone.
Lemme do the math quick-like: $2,500 (phono preamp) + $5,000 (proper turntable) + $2,000 (proper tonearm) + $1,200 (proper Koetsu), but the dust has not even settled yet...
Forget the calculator!
It seems that the likelihood chance of my kid(s) graduating from college is a much wiser ROI choice... in the hopes that someday they may gift me this system, if LP records are not in that depository where the abacus lie.
Is it another one of these audio devices where the price IS the product and the technical stuff is secondary? (I apologize for who quoted that first)

John B

Aside from the KORF blog, I don't know of anybody is looking objectively at how to improve playing back records. Does anybody have good resources to check out here?

levimax

Major Contributor
But wouldn't you do this later in the chain where it can apply to all sources? You're correcting the speaker-room interface, aren't you?
I use FIR convolution filters in a PC for room EQ. If I want to play LP's with room EQ I need to use an ADC to convert LP to Digital so I can play it back through the EQ chain, I also use FIR filters for RIAA.

levimax

Major Contributor

Not sure about PEQ filters but using Rephase and FIR filters it is super easy to do RIAA. You can also add in a steep FIR high pass rumble filter and correct all the filters for phase all with just a few clicks and keystrokes.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Looks like the RIAA curve has about + and - 20db of EQ. Probably need a super low noise mic preamp before the DSP.

greenpsycho

Thanks for the review Amir. If I remember rightly the distortion is there on purpose. The original design went with high feedback for great measured preformance. But listening tests went badly with no magic soundstage stuff. So it was made worse till it produced magic soundstage unicorns. (Paraphrasing from one of Paul's videos)
yes! I remember Pauls and Darren's (sp?) videos from years back when they were designing and rolling this thing out. I specifically remember unsubbing from that channel when that video came out, something to the tune of "it measured great! but, we think it sounded bad, so we rebuilt the whole thing by ear" (also paraphrasing). I mean, I'm glad it turned out to be at least decent, but man, there are so many awesome things about ps audio, I want to love that company so much, but I just can't do it because of their odd stance on audio (and like, some of their products are just bad, but meh)

levimax

Major Contributor
Looks like the RIAA curve has about + and - 20db of EQ. Probably need a super low noise mic preamp before the DSP.
Ideally yes but nothing to do with LP's is "low noise" as the surface noise, even on a clean new LP, will swamp the noise of electronics. I use a MC cart, SUT, and ADC (through it's mic preamp) and it is way quieter than the LP surface noise.

John B

I use a MC cart, SUT, and ADC (through it's mic preamp) and it is way quieter than the LP surface noise.
I am so excited to hear how you are doing this! I hate the idea of phono preamps and have a DA-3000 to handle ADC, and ProQ3 to apply RIAA after things are transferred to digital. When I invert The ProQ3 RIAA from a test record signal it seems pretty accurate.

Even more exciting I have PTX-10 test record and the white noise on it has no RIAA (I think) so I can correct cartridge bias before applying any curves which would be cool.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Is it another one of these audio devices where the price IS the product and the technical stuff is secondary? (I apologize for who quoted that first)
I dunno -- it's certainly got tonnes of modern and suitably technical looking bits and bobs inside of it. :cool:

index.php

Labjr

Major Contributor
The fact that DSP outperforms an analog preamp shows there is no need for new releases on vinyl. Most new vinyl releases use digital masters anyway. What's the point of adding a huge chain of extra steps between the master and playback when you can just play back the digital master though a DAC?

John B

The fact that DSP outperforms an analog preamp shows there is no need for new releases on vinyl. Most new vinyl releases use digital masters anyway. What's the point of adding a huge chain of extra steps between the master and playback when you can just play back the digital master though a DAC
Fringe classical music tastes drive you into the analog domain. It is indeed a dark place! ; ) I have a lot of music that won't get reissued digitally.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wether digital or not you have the same issue.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yes, but you would still need to apply DSP elsewhere when you are not playing vinyl. All that vinyl needs is RIAA and high gain. I don't think accurate RIAA is that hard in the analogue domain. The bigger issue is response deviations in the cartridge.

Top Bottom